Email notifications


Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
11,789
Reaction score
842
It's really no "biggie" but I have noticed that email notifications don't seem to be coming through, quite as they should.

I have not altered my preferences in "Options" (immediate notification setting) and mail from other sources is reaching me okay.

Some PCR mail is coming through, but not all (oh, and I understand the bit about:
There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
but I pop in and out of here fairly frequently, so it's not due to lack of visits, I don't think?)

As I said, it's no biggie, just thought I'd mention it though, in case it has any significance at your end :)

Thank you for looking :wave:
 

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
4,867
Reaction score
540
I don't get any notifications at all, and i'm all set up to get them. :confused:
 
Ad

Advertisements

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
11,789
Reaction score
842
EvanDavis said:
I don't get any notifications at all, and i'm all set up to get them. :confused:
I'm so glad you said that Evan... because since posting, I've just received three notifications on the trot! :blush: But having said that, there are still a couple of "outstanding ones." I forgot to mention too, that this has been happening for a while - certainly a couple of weeks, or so.
 

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
Thanks for the heads up :) - is anyone else having this problem? I've just had an explore of the server and can't see anything wrong or any stuck mail items? I'll do a test to both your e-mail addresess - could you let me know if they come through please?

I've also done a check on e-mail blacklists and it's clear on them all.

This has got me scratching me head ;). I'm guessing it hasn't gone to a spambox automatically?
 

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
11,789
Reaction score
842
Thank you for checking Ian :)

Your test email came through okay. :thumb:

I can also confirm that no PCR messages went to spam - should have mentioned that earlier, but forgot, sorry.:blush:

This is a tad like having a toothache, which suddenly disappears as you walk into the dentist's surgery! All mails have been coming through okay, since my original post. It's why I've not mentioned it previously, because just as I'm on the verge of doing so, the "hiccup" seems to clear.

Hope Evan's are getting through now too. Good luck with that, and thank you again. :)
 

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
4,867
Reaction score
540
Taffycat said:


Hope Evan's are getting through now too. Good luck with that, and thank you again. :)
Nope, I am still not recieving anything. And nothing has gone to spam
 

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
Taffycat said:
Thank you for checking Ian :)

Your test email came through okay. :thumb:

I can also confirm that no PCR messages went to spam - should have mentioned that earlier, but forgot, sorry.:blush:

This is a tad like having a toothache, which suddenly disappears as you walk into the dentist's surgery! All mails have been coming through okay, since my original post. It's why I've not mentioned it previously, because just as I'm on the verge of doing so, the "hiccup" seems to clear.

Hope Evan's are getting through now too. Good luck with that, and thank you again. :)
Thanks for the heads up TC, I hope it was just a backlog or something along those lines :). Fingers crossed it was a blip and it's working ok now.

EvanDavis said:
Nope, I am still not recieving anything. And nothing has gone to spam
The test e-mail didn't even get through? That's really strange and I'm stumped with this one as the log says it sent ok :confused:

Is your active e-mail the one on this page?

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/profile.php?do=editpassword
 

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
20,148
Reaction score
1,649
How long have I been here?

Quite a long time :)

In that time, every now and again, for a short period, I don't receive e-mail notifications from threads I'm active in.

Same thing for another forum I was once a member of that used VB Bulletin, BBF.

Over the years I just got to figuring this is a normal occurence and have learnt to put up with it, much in the same way I ignore that food stain on page 361 of the book I'm reading. But I do often wonder how a bolognese stain gets into a new book :confused:

Dat's loif, as Seamus once remarked ;)
 

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
4,867
Reaction score
540
Ian Cunningham said:
The test e-mail didn't even get through? That's really strange and I'm stumped with this one as the log says it sent ok :confused:

Is your active e-mail the one on this page?
Yeah thats the e-mail address. The only e-mails I have recieved from PC review are the activation one and welcome one.
 
Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
Evan, I'll set up a ymail account this week and see if they have a local block in place :). I've spend the last hour having a look and can't see any probs on the server end, so I'm stumped for now :blush: .
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Ian, do you have an SPF record in the *.pcreview.co.uk DNS zone?
 

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
I've not added an SPF record, does Yahoo require one? I thought it would only use it as an indicator?
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I noticed a couple of things, try implementing the following;

Get Softlayer to change your Reverse DNS to;

mail.pcreview.co.uk

Add a TXT record to the DNS Zone for *.pcreview.co.uk;

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.43.18.65 -all"

Give those a try, wait for up to 24 hours and then resend the mail, generally it'll go straight through with those two amendments.
 

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
Thanks Chris, I'll have a read up on this :) I'm using a sendmail address that's not on the same IP, so I think I'll need to add that to the other server too.

I've just tried sending a mail test from the server to a yahoo mail account and it works ok. If Evan's e-mail address was failing because of the SPF check, would that bounce and give me an error at this end?
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Normally SPF's take a fairly neutral stance, but it seems as if some providers of free email services are making the SPF margins a lot stricter and even with the same provider it can be hit and miss as to emails not going through.

You might have seen a SPF error during the MX transaction, it's highly unlikely it would bounce back just because of a SPF.

The PTR (Reverse DNS) against the server IP plays a big role with most MX software these days so that's the more important thing to fix.

If you need to declare another IP in the SPF just add it onto the end, e.g;

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.43.18.65 ip4:1.1.1.1 -all"

Where 1.1.1.1 is the extra IP of course.
 

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Moderator
Joined
Mar 5, 2002
Messages
25,473
Reaction score
1,019
I don't have a problem. :D


:wave:
 

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
imriemc said:
Normally SPF's take a fairly neutral stance, but it seems as if some providers of free email services are making the SPF margins a lot stricter and even with the same provider it can be hit and miss as to emails not going through.

You might have seen a SPF error during the MX transaction, it's highly unlikely it would bounce back just because of a SPF.

The PTR (Reverse DNS) against the server IP plays a big role with most MX software these days so that's the more important thing to fix.

If you need to declare another IP in the SPF just add it onto the end, e.g;

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.43.18.65 ip4:1.1.1.1 -all"

Where 1.1.1.1 is the extra IP of course.
Thanks for the SPF explaination :)

Reverse DNS should be enabled on pcreview.co.uk already, is that showing up ok on your end?

edit: Ah, I need to change from "pcreview.co.uk" to "mail.pcreview.co.uk" - is that the change you mean? Done now :)
 
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Yeah the PTR "Reverse DNS" still shows as just pcreview.co.uk

C:\>nslookup
Default Server: www.routerlogin.com
Address: 192.168.8.1

> set type=ptr
> 208.43.18.65
Server: www.routerlogin.com
Address: 192.168.8.1

Non-authoritative answer:
65.18.43.208.in-addr.arpa name = pcreview.co.uk

18.43.208.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns1.arpa.global-datacenter.com
18.43.208.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns2.arpa.global-datacenter.com

Then there is just the SPF left to implement and it will make a reasonable difference to not just current, but new sign-ups too so that your mail is filtered correctly.
 

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Joined
Jun 20, 2010
Messages
4,867
Reaction score
540
Just a quick update for Ian. I am now receiving e-mail notifications from PcReview :thumb::thumb:
 
Ad

Advertisements

Ian

Administrator
Joined
Feb 23, 2002
Messages
19,034
Reaction score
1,036
Excellent :D Thanks for letting me know, Evan.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top