Email notifications

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's really no "biggie" but I have noticed that email notifications don't seem to be coming through, quite as they should.

I have not altered my preferences in "Options" (immediate notification setting) and mail from other sources is reaching me okay.

Some PCR mail is coming through, but not all (oh, and I understand the bit about:
There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
but I pop in and out of here fairly frequently, so it's not due to lack of visits, I don't think?)

As I said, it's no biggie, just thought I'd mention it though, in case it has any significance at your end :)

Thank you for looking :wave:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I don't get any notifications at all, and i'm all set up to get them. :confused:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
EvanDavis said:
I don't get any notifications at all, and i'm all set up to get them. :confused:

I'm so glad you said that Evan... because since posting, I've just received three notifications on the trot! :blush: But having said that, there are still a couple of "outstanding ones." I forgot to mention too, that this has been happening for a while - certainly a couple of weeks, or so.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up :) - is anyone else having this problem? I've just had an explore of the server and can't see anything wrong or any stuck mail items? I'll do a test to both your e-mail addresess - could you let me know if they come through please?

I've also done a check on e-mail blacklists and it's clear on them all.

This has got me scratching me head ;). I'm guessing it hasn't gone to a spambox automatically?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for checking Ian :)

Your test email came through okay. :thumb:

I can also confirm that no PCR messages went to spam - should have mentioned that earlier, but forgot, sorry.:blush:

This is a tad like having a toothache, which suddenly disappears as you walk into the dentist's surgery! All mails have been coming through okay, since my original post. It's why I've not mentioned it previously, because just as I'm on the verge of doing so, the "hiccup" seems to clear.

Hope Evan's are getting through now too. Good luck with that, and thank you again. :)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Hope Evan's are getting through now too. Good luck with that, and thank you again. :)

Nope, I am still not recieving anything. And nothing has gone to spam

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
Thank you for checking Ian :)

Your test email came through okay. :thumb:

I can also confirm that no PCR messages went to spam - should have mentioned that earlier, but forgot, sorry.:blush:

This is a tad like having a toothache, which suddenly disappears as you walk into the dentist's surgery! All mails have been coming through okay, since my original post. It's why I've not mentioned it previously, because just as I'm on the verge of doing so, the "hiccup" seems to clear.

Thanks for the heads up TC, I hope it was just a backlog or something along those lines :). Fingers crossed it was a blip and it's working ok now.

EvanDavis said:
Nope, I am still not recieving anything. And nothing has gone to spam

The test e-mail didn't even get through? That's really strange and I'm stumped with this one as the log says it sent ok :confused:

Is your active e-mail the one on this page?

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/profile.php?do=editpassword

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
How long have I been here?

Quite a long time :)

In that time, every now and again, for a short period, I don't receive e-mail notifications from threads I'm active in.

Same thing for another forum I was once a member of that used VB Bulletin, BBF.

Over the years I just got to figuring this is a normal occurence and have learnt to put up with it, much in the same way I ignore that food stain on page 361 of the book I'm reading. But I do often wonder how a bolognese stain gets into a new book :confused:

Dat's loif, as Seamus once remarked ;)

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The test e-mail didn't even get through? That's really strange and I'm stumped with this one as the log says it sent ok :confused:

Is your active e-mail the one on this page?

Yeah thats the e-mail address. The only e-mails I have recieved from PC review are the activation one and welcome one.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Evan, I'll set up a ymail account this week and see if they have a local block in place :). I've spend the last hour having a look and can't see any probs on the server end, so I'm stumped for now :blush: .

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've not added an SPF record, does Yahoo require one? I thought it would only use it as an indicator?

Reaction score
I noticed a couple of things, try implementing the following;

Get Softlayer to change your Reverse DNS to;

mail.pcreview.co.uk

Add a TXT record to the DNS Zone for *.pcreview.co.uk;

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.43.18.65 -all"

Give those a try, wait for up to 24 hours and then resend the mail, generally it'll go straight through with those two amendments.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Chris, I'll have a read up on this :) I'm using a sendmail address that's not on the same IP, so I think I'll need to add that to the other server too.

I've just tried sending a mail test from the server to a yahoo mail account and it works ok. If Evan's e-mail address was failing because of the SPF check, would that bounce and give me an error at this end?

Reaction score
Normally SPF's take a fairly neutral stance, but it seems as if some providers of free email services are making the SPF margins a lot stricter and even with the same provider it can be hit and miss as to emails not going through.

You might have seen a SPF error during the MX transaction, it's highly unlikely it would bounce back just because of a SPF.

The PTR (Reverse DNS) against the server IP plays a big role with most MX software these days so that's the more important thing to fix.

If you need to declare another IP in the SPF just add it onto the end, e.g;

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.43.18.65 ip4:1.1.1.1 -all"

Where 1.1.1.1 is the extra IP of course.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
imriemc said:
Normally SPF's take a fairly neutral stance, but it seems as if some providers of free email services are making the SPF margins a lot stricter and even with the same provider it can be hit and miss as to emails not going through.

You might have seen a SPF error during the MX transaction, it's highly unlikely it would bounce back just because of a SPF.

The PTR (Reverse DNS) against the server IP plays a big role with most MX software these days so that's the more important thing to fix.

If you need to declare another IP in the SPF just add it onto the end, e.g;

"v=spf1 a mx ip4:208.43.18.65 ip4:1.1.1.1 -all"

Where 1.1.1.1 is the extra IP of course.

Thanks for the SPF explaination :)

Reverse DNS should be enabled on pcreview.co.uk already, is that showing up ok on your end?

edit: Ah, I need to change from "pcreview.co.uk" to "mail.pcreview.co.uk" - is that the change you mean? Done now :)

Reaction score
Yeah the PTR "Reverse DNS" still shows as just pcreview.co.uk

C:\>nslookup
Default Server: www.routerlogin.com
Address: 192.168.8.1

> set type=ptr
> 208.43.18.65
Server: www.routerlogin.com
Address: 192.168.8.1

Non-authoritative answer:
65.18.43.208.in-addr.arpa name = pcreview.co.uk

18.43.208.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns1.arpa.global-datacenter.com
18.43.208.in-addr.arpa nameserver = ns2.arpa.global-datacenter.com

Then there is just the SPF left to implement and it will make a reasonable difference to not just current, but new sign-ups too so that your mail is filtered correctly.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Just a quick update for Ian. I am now receiving e-mail notifications from PcReview :thumb::thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent :D Thanks for letting me know, Evan.

Ask a Question