Problems after installing RAM

Reaction score
Hi

I'm not technical so please bear with me!!

I wanted to run MS Accounting express on my PC but my existing RAM was only 256 and it needed to be at least 512.
I bought a 1gb upgrade through crucial. I used their scanning tool to find the right one.
I installed it yesterday with no problems and then downloaded MS Accounting. I spent the rest of yesterday using the software.
This morning I have switched on the pc and once windows has booted after about 30 seconds the screen goes blue and I get the message

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly or terminated .........."

I have contacted crucial who asked me to move the new RAM from the second slot into the first and retry without the existing RAM, this did not work. I have now removed the new RAM and put back just the existing one and the problem still happens. I have never had this problem prior to the installation of the new RAM.

Crucial have said that they think it to be a software issue as I can run the pc in safe mode. Could this be the case or has the installation of the new RAM caused the problem?

Are there any sort of diag I can run whilst in safe mode?

I am running XP pro

Many thanks for your expected help, if you need any more info, please ask and I will (try and) let you know.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

I agree with Crucial ... if the Ram works in safe mode, then it tells me there is a possible software problem.

Have you uninstalled the program and reinstalled the Ram?

It sounds like you have an "older" PC, I would, however, need to know some more details of the computer before giving a definite opinion.

:user:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
perhaps you didnt install them in the right sockets??

Ask a Question