Please help: IBM T21 Screen or Hinge Problem x

Reaction score
Hi,

Wonder if anyone can help???.

I have an IBM T21, which is a brill laptop, battery life is 5 hours compared to my new one which is 1.5 hours the problem is as follows:

This laptop has been brill, but a few weeks ago, when logging on, the screen has been really faint, and moving the screen fully backwards and forwards, the screen has lit up, but today doing this has not helped, still see the icons, really faint, but can't get to light up. (only in the background) so have had to go out to buy a lead to put to my daughters monitor/tv.

Just wondered if anyone else has had the same problem?. I can't afford another laptop, so wondered if anyone can help, is this the screen or is this the hinges or anything else.

Really would appreciate any assistance you maybe able to give.

Many thanks,
Kindest regards,
Julie

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Julie, welcome to PCR :)

I can remember having problems with my first laptop; the display would suddenly go to black (I realize yours becomes faint) but, when I moved the screen back and forth, it too would burst into life again. When I took a close look at the outer case, I discovered little hairline cracks near the hinges. To see them, you might need to move the screen gently whilst observing the hinge area. I think this area can weaken over time.

Anyway, mine was still just within it's 3 yr guarantee, so it was sent back to base and the screen (whole "lid" of the lappy) was replaced. It put matters right, but probably would have been pretty expensive if I'd had to pay.

Maybe your problem is not that drastic and the techies here will be able to come up with another solution for you to try. Hope so. :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

There are several causes of a dim display or the failure of a "backlight" to illuminate the screen.

As most people are aware, inverter and backlight failure are the most common.

Other causes are ... a faulty or damaged LCD/Inverter cable, faulty motherboard and or a faulty screen.

Return to sender.

:user:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I doubt that your laptop is still under warranty sine it is a T21 model. I used to own a few IBM Laptops and T21 was one of them. I suspect the ribbon connector to be the culprit since you have used this laptop a while and that could be worn out with use.

The repairs could cost you a fair bit because the parts maybe an issue. Anyway get an estimate and decide for yourself if it is justified. Sometimes a used laptop may be a better alternative to getting the faulty one repaired.

Good Luck

Ask a Question