Mouse gone rogue

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could help me with a mouse problem? It's hubby's mouse actually, a Logitech G500s (wired USB).

It has recently started to behave oddly - imagine the kind of erratic behaviour you get if a hair has got into the laser. I thought that might be the problem, so cleaned it.

All seemed to be well - but within a short while, it became erratic again. Move the mouse, and the pointer either shoots across the screen, or else it jerkily follows. Try to point on a small object, and it takes an age to get the pointer to "focus." Very frustrating.

If I re-start the PC - it clears the problem... but again, only for a short while. I have run out of ideas, so if anyone else has any clue, I'd be very grateful. :)

The mousemat is a Razer Sphex.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone could help me with a mouse problem? It's hubby's mouse actually, a Logitech G500s (wired USB).

It has recently started to behave oddly - imagine the kind of erratic behaviour you get if a hair has got into the laser. I thought that might be the problem, so cleaned it.

All seemed to be well - but within a short while, it became erratic again. Move the mouse, and the pointer either shoots across the screen, or else it jerkily follows. Try to point on a small object, and it takes an age to get the pointer to "focus." Very frustrating.

If I re-start the PC - it clears the problem... but again, only for a short while. I have run out of ideas, so if anyone else has any clue, I'd be very grateful. :)

The mousemat is a Razer Sphex.

Have you tried the mouse on another PC? Completely clean and not working on two PCs, mouse may be defunct.
Or, another mouse on that PC? At least you'll get some information.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Yes, try his mouse on your PC, and your mouse on his PC ... I suspect, a faulty mouse, replace it. :)

funny, I have just this minute replace my mouse (I had bought a spare 'RAT5' in an Amazingdotcom sale) ... the wheel broke. :rolleyes:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have an el-cheapo USB mouse and it did similar things. I uninstalled drivers then restarted PC and let it install new drivers and all was fine.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you all for the replies @nivrip, @muckshifter and @EvanDavis. Duh...! What is the matter with me for not thinking of swapping them over! Sorry guys, that really was dumb of me. :lol:

Also thank you for the suggestion re drivers Evan, it is also something I can try. Will report back when I've given those options a try. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
My Logitech mouse went the exact same way a few years ago and I ended up having to bin it. I opened it up and cleaned the sensor, but no luck. It happened occasionally, then more and more often until it was unusable.

Hopefully this is something different and it will work on the other PC though, so that it's a fixable problem.

Reaction score
My Logitech usb mouse has worked well for 5 years & cost £9.99.:eek:
If you buy well it will last forever!:D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for all the input guys... much appreciated as always.

This morning I decided to experiment by just switching USB sockets... thought it was worth doing the simplest thing first lol. Anyway, did that and after a morning's use, the mouse is still functioning just as it should. So wondering if, maybe, the USB socket could be a tad "iffy."

Still awfully embarrassed about not thinking to do this before... but I blame the lurgie!! :D

Thank you all once again :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Glad to see it looks as if the G500 seems to be ok, try a different USB socket in it's original location.

FWIW I had a Logi G500 go belly up on me with exactly the same fault(s) about a year ago, the mouse was 3 or 4 years old at the time I believe, I had to bin it after it showed same symptoms on a different computer of mine and also a friends' computer.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
try a different USB socket in it's original location
Yes, that solution seems to be working just fine now :thumb: I originally plugged it in amongst a tight group of sockets at the lower rear of hubby's PC, but now I'm using one which is a bit higher-up and away from that little clutter of cables. :thumb:

Ask a Question