Gaming Mousemat

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
One or two of you might recall that way back in 2007, I mentioned that I was using black non-stick oven-liner as a mousemat. (This stuff.) (Here is original post.)

Six years on and yes, I'm still using it. It has worked well and most certainly was cost-effective, lol. In fact, I only had one gripe... Not a big problem, but during a gaming session, it would creep just a tiny bit. Not enough to cause any problems, other than aesthetic ones. :) (Couldn't anchor it, of course, because of the non-stick surfaces.)

But I've just discovered the Razer Sphex, which seems to be the ideal alternative. (Haha... wonder where Razer found their inspiration...? :lol:) It's about the same thickness, but has a backing which doesn't slip and anchors it firmly to the desk. (Any kind of surface apparently.)

Judging from the blurb, it looks as if they've been available for some time... but tbh, I've not really thought of looking before. Anyone else seen them..?

Found this guy's review on YT, so think I'll give it a try.

[Youtube]GEyuntpNvzM[/Youtube]

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Looks good. A couple of reviews I read said it left a stick deposit after some use. :)

That Cyber Snipa glass mat I got a couple of years ago is still going great guns.

http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3327019/Cyber-Snipa-Tracer-Mouse-Pad/Product.html

Seems to be unavailable now but you could make your own with a piece of laminated glass with rounded edges (old fridge shelf etc) and make some feet for it with this wonder stuff.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUGRU-Mul...Scrapbooking_Glue_Tape_EH&hash=item3cd186561f

:lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Looks good and Amazon have them at £9.99
Ordered yesterday (Amazon) and delivered by DPD at 8:55 AM today - couldn't ask for better service than that. :thumb:

Abarbarian said:
Looks good. A couple of reviews I read said it left a stick deposit after some use. :)
Yes, one of the reviews I saw, mentioned this. Though another guy apparently, had a problem getting it to stick. But it seems that his surface was dusty to begin with, which didn't help. (The reviewer overcame the problem with a very light spray of water on the backing.... guessing he also set to work with a duster too, because it was adhering just fine in his video. ;)) Most (of the vids/reviews I saw, claimed that the mat always peeled-off cleanly.

Your Cyber Snipa looks great! I did consider using glass, but tbh, it came back to the thickness issue. I really wanted something which would be as flat as my current (oven-liner) mat.

I've not set up the new mat yet, because I really need to give the desk a good tidy-up first. :blush:

I'll report back when I've tried it, and will let you know how the Razer Sphex measures-up to my oven-liner!! :lol::D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
The Sphex certainly seems to be living up to the favourable hype. It provides an excellent mousing surface for my Logi G500, which glides around beautifully.

The Sphex's backing grips nicely to the desk; it feels immovable, but using the small tab at the side, it will lift very easily, if, for any reason, you want to re-position it. So far, without leaving any tackiness behind.

I love that it's so thin (not to be confused with "flimsy" which it most certainly is not.) To me, it feels much more natural, than the slightly thicker mats. (Yes, I have probably been influenced by my previous choice... the oven liner! :lol:) But even so, this is so much better, because it totally stays-put during use.

A tenner well spent imho. Happy customer here. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
that looks excellent value TC ... I have a Stealseries mouse mat that also has a 'sticky' back to it ... tho' I suspect, as it was a present I don't actually know the price, that it may have cost a wee bit more that yours.

Nice to see value & quality in today's gaming market. :)