Gaming headset advice requested

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I could use some advice regarding gaming headsets.

Do any of you gamers happen to know of a set which has a build-in sound-limiter? (Not just a volume adjuster or mute capabilities.)

Naturally, I've done a bit of research before asking here, but seemingly, the kind of thing I'm looking for, is only aimed at the kiddie-market. ( I really don't want to look like a "My Little Pony" late developer, or something! :lol:)

The issue I'm having, just to explain, is that the group I game with are situated in UK and other parts of Europe, such as Portugal and Holland. (Perhaps their location is unimportant, but trying to give details which might be relevant.)

Anyway, when we're teamed-up, (using TS3) user sound-level quality, can be somewhat mixed. Two of the group are very quiet - not their voices, but their audio set-up. (It's not just me who experiences this, btw.) It's the same for the others, who can normally be heard very clearly. It doesn't appear to depend on their home region, and we're all on the same server.

You can probably imagine that when we play, if volume is adjusted to hear the "quiet" ones, your ears are blasted when someone coughs, or voice levels rise with excitement, etc.)

I have pretty sensitive hearing (...can practically detect a pin dropping in another room.... and can certainly hear if the cat spits out his thyroid pill after he's pretended to swallow it!) So, naturally, I don't want to damage it.

Currently, I'm using an old-ish Plantronics headset, which is not that bad for audio or voice. But, it has a tendency to slip off easily, and it's not really that comfortable, despite being beautifully lightweight.

So, in a nutshell, do any of you either know of a headset with a limiter? Or would you have any other helpful advice that I could try please?

Many thanks for reading :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't offer any advice on a volume limiter, as I'm not aware of anything that can do this in a PC headset (although you may be able to get something that uses a 3.5mm inline device?).

However, I did some googling and it looks like you can individually set the volume for TS3 members by right clicking a persons name and selecting "Change Volume". Would that do the trick for the quiet members? I wasn't sure if you'd adjusted the overall volume or already tried individually, so thought I'd mention it just in case :).

Reaction score
You need something called ALC (Auto Level Control)

It may require buying a entirely new headset.
I'm not sure if any software is available to control this there well could be

Here is one such headset, Very, very expensive

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-rs-180/4505-7877_7-33976711-2.html

Radio stations and alike use ALC software/hardware for controlling the volumes of music and voices prior to broadcast so all levels are the same to the receiver

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I can't offer any advice on a volume limiter, as I'm not aware of anything that can do this in a PC headset (although you may be able to get something that uses a 3.5mm inline device?).

However, I did some googling and it looks like you can individually set the volume for TS3 members by right clicking a persons name and selecting "Change Volume". Would that do the trick for the quiet members? I wasn't sure if you'd adjusted the overall volume or already tried individually, so thought I'd mention it just in case :).

Ooh thank you Ian! This sounds very promising indeed.

When I first downloaded TS, a month or two ago, I went through the initial set-up procedure, to optimise the voice/sound levels, but failed to notice that more tweaks were available. I shall certainly be giving this a try later. :thumb:

You need something called ALC (Auto Level Control)

It may require buying a entirely new headset.
I'm not sure if any software is available to control this there well could be

Here is one such headset, Very, very expensive

http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sennheiser-rs-180/4505-7877_7-33976711-2.html

Radio stations and alike use ALC software/hardware for controlling the volumes of music and voices prior to broadcast so all levels are the same to the receiver

I am happy about buying a new headset, but you're right, the one in the linky is just a bit beyond budget lol. Looks good though.

ALC software/hardware also looks very interesting. Only taken a quick look so far, because I'm about to cook lunch, but I shall look into that in more detail too.

Thank you both for replying, I appreciate the advice very much. :cheers:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
as Ian mentions, you use TS inbuilt ability to adjust individuals sound volumes.

It's not perfect, but it helps and it's cheaper than buying a new headset that wont make any difference. :)

I have an in-build line-in mute and volume control on my Logitech headset.

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
as Ian mentions, you use TS inbuilt ability to adjust individuals sound volumes.

It's not perfect, but it helps and it's cheaper than buying a new headset that wont make any difference. :)

I have an in-build line-in mute and volume control on my Logitech headset.

:user:
Thanks for the reply Mucks. Yes, I'll definitely be twiddling TS to alter individual sound levels.

Actually, my current headset also has mute/volume controls - very handy too...it also connects via USB. But, as I mentioned, they're not very comfortable for extended wear.

That Logitech headset is one that I've recently been considering, along with Creative and Sennheiser too - various models of each. However, I wanted to check with you guys first, before making a decision. :)

Reaction score
The owners of the issue should check their advanced options for MIC output for their soundcards TC

Reduce their volume

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

This. :)

Or use Mumble that does it for you. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sennheiser or Logitech is the way to go as their products are better than others, former would be my first choice of course. :nod:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I've never, ever, found a headset that does not hurt my ears, never!

I have never gotten Mumbles to work, fortunately my Guild uses TS

TS sets the volume on install, so everyone should be the same ... and a woman telling a bloke his equipment is faulty, is just asking for it ... :lol:

Save your money TC. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I altered the volumes of various individuals in TS tonight... and it has worked wonders! I could hear the "quiet" person, muffle the louder one, and generally felt much more comfortable volume-wise. So that was a really good piece of advice. :thumb:

The headset itself is another matter... when I lean forward a bit, it almost falls off! It also has precious little padding on the ear pieces. But having said that, it must be around 6 years old, or more, so they have served me very well.

One thing I've been noticing, is that some of the newer headsets talk about "enabling you to hear your own speech, through the earpieces, as you talk." Really..? That sounds a bit off-putting. I would dislike hearing myself as I chat lol. It would be awfully distracting lol.

Thank you all for your input and advice, it is all very much appreciated..... even if some of you ARE trying to get me into trouble with the male members of the guild! :lol::thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Sorted then, easy when you know how as they say. :)

FWIW, regarding comfortable headsets, you want one with big ear cups that covers your ear and big soft pads.

http://en-uk.sennheiser.com/professionelles-gamer-headset-super-noise-cancellation-pc-350

Thats mine, so comfy. Had then for two years wouldn't replace then unless i had too, great sound too.

Sorry I couldn't respond yesterday - I was a bit out of action with dratted migraine.

But..... Wow! The Sennheiser looks great, very ear-friendly (and, I would imagine, sounds rather good too.)

My OH says they can be an early Christmas prezzie. Yaaaay! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lucky you! :)

That price on their webby looks a little steep by the way, Farly sure i didn't pay quite that much when i got them.

E: SE Version....

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-071-SN&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=1719

Not a lot of difference by the looks of things, though i like the fact the mic mutes if you raise the boom, nice touch. :)

While we're here....

Obviously not tried them myself, but i've seen good things about these too....
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SP-005-QP&groupid=702&catid=1058&subcat=1719

For me a decent headset consists of a few things...
- Analogue - I have a decent sound card, i want to use it.
- Closed back - I'd never get away with playing this much if she could hear the battle when watching TV!
- Decent mic
- longish cable preferable with at volume and mute inline.
- Also, I've tried and sent back many 'surround' headsets. IMO they are a gimmick. Decent soundcard + Decent stereo headset = far better positional audio. ;)

:)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh I always try to hunt-out the best prices, lol. The SE version of the Sennheiser 350s is about £40 less on Amazon, than it is on Overclockers btw. :thumb:

I've just been watching some reviews by "Steggy" on YT, of the 350s (in two parts) and also the 360s.

Tbh, it sounds as if the open-backed 360s might actually work best for me - but it's purely a hearing thing. I'm not a fan of getting that "pressurised" feeling in the ears... if you see what I mean?

You make an excellent point regarding sound leakage disturbing your OH, of course, but here, atm, we both use headsets when doing our individual thing on the PCs, so it shouldn't be a problem. (As you might have gathered, I tend not to have the game volume set too high anyway, because as previously mentioned, my hearing is a bit over-sensitive.

The 360s have the lifting mic-boom mute - which is very handy. But instead of the in-line volume adjustment, which I too, have been more used to, there's a dial on the right ear-cup. Looks as if it would be pretty easy to adjust.

Though it's not mentioned in the general blurb, (in Amazon) at the bottom of the webpage, there's a range comparison chart... and it mentions "5.1/7.1 Surround Sound Powered by Dolby" .......hmm, I do agree with you (after reading several reviews/opinions regarding "surround" headsets) that it's not something I was deliberately seeking. But I guess it won't be a deal-breaker. :)

Edit! Idiot! Me I mean.... just re-read the comparison chart, and the 360s do not have "surround" sound! Lol I mis-read that, duh. :blush:

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok, missy, look what you made me go and do.......

Ordered the SE's yesterday. Getting them tomorrow..... :blush:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ok, missy, look what you made me go and do.......

Ordered the SE's yesterday. Getting them tomorrow..... :blush:
Hahaha... :lol: Hopefully mine should be delivered tomorrow too... feeling excited now :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good times, if they are anything like the 350's you shouldn't be disappointed. Unless you have funny shaped ears. You dont have funny shaped ears do you? ;)

EDIT: OMG at my post count! :D

Ask a Question