[PL] Pricelessware slogan

Susan Bugher

The subject is "truth in advertising". Free downloads are not Freeware but. . . neither are all
the programs on the Pricelessware List. Many of them have other ware types.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php

The following ware types are acceptable for nomination:

Freeware
Abandonware (non-Warez Abandonware is acceptable)
Betaware
Donationware
Liteware
Orphanware (non-Warez Orphanware is acceptable)
Registerware
Requestware

An early version of the PL slogan is here:

http://web.archive.org/web/20000301002450/http://www.sover.net/~whoi/Priceless.html

The best of the best free Windows© software *as designated by the readers of alt.comp.freeware newsgroup

I don't know when the Pricelessware slogan changed from free software to Freeware. IMO we should
change it back.

Our current Pricelessware slogan is "The best of the best in Freeware as determined by the readers
of alt.comp.freeware" I suggest we revise the slogan to read "The best of the best in free software
as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware"

Any objections?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

badgolferman

[...]

revise the slogan to read "The best of the best in free software as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware"

Any objections?

Susan

Many people consider free software as "free for download" software. I
like the Freeware word better.

Petersen, Vegard Krog

"The best of the best in free software... as determined by

It might be correct to change the description, but the expression "free
software" makes me automatically think about "free trials" and "free
downloads" and so forth...

M2C

regards from vegard

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Susan Bugher

on 23.09.2005 17:26 Susan Bugher wrote:

It might be correct to change the description, but the expression "free
software" makes me automatically think about "free trials" and "free
downloads" and so forth...

The people at the Free Software Foundation would really hate to hear you say that. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Petersen, Vegard Krog

The people at the Free Software Foundation would really hate to hear you
say that. ;)

Susan
¨
When I say something stupid, I really, really say something stupid :)

--
Vegard Krog Petersen - Norway

http://vegard2.no -
Solitaire MahJongg guide, Sarah Michelle Gellar Solitaire,
Freeware Logo & symbol, Halma & Chinese Checkers,
Pachisi & Ludo, Freeware Solitaire, My fishy site (fishing
games), a.c.f.g information, Fredrikshald Havfiskeklubb
18+ sites: Firefoxy, Adult Solitaire, Fishy Pictures,
Sexy Chess, Sexy Librarians, Sexy Football

Nicolaas Hawkins

Our current Pricelessware slogan is "The best of the best in Freeware as determined by the readers
of alt.comp.freeware" I suggest we revise the slogan to read "The best of the best in free software
as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware"

Any objections?

No objection.

A thought in passing: would "selected" be, perhaps, a more appropriate
word than "determined"?

Nicolaas.

.... Smile - it's the second best thing you can do with your lips.

Chrissy Cruiser

Our current Pricelessware slogan is "The best of the best in Freeware as determined by the readers
of alt.comp.freeware" I suggest we revise the slogan to read "The best of the best in free software
as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware"

Radical.

John Fitzsimons

Susan Bugher, 9/23/2005, 11:26:28 AM, <[email protected]>
wrote:

Yep.

Many people consider free software as "free for download" software. I
like the Freeware word better.

The words "free software" encourages the inclusion of "adware" etc.
"Freeware" is IMO a much better word.

Regards, John.
,-._|\ (A.C.F FAQ) http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/faq.html
/ Oz \ John Fitzsimons - Melbourne, Australia.
\_,--.x/ http://www.vicnet.net.au/~johnf/welcome.htm
v http://clients.net2000.com.au/~johnf/

granpaw

snip
Our current Pricelessware slogan is "The best of the best in Freeware
as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware" I suggest we revise
the slogan to read "The best of the best in free software as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware"

Any objections?

Susan

As a minor (very minor) participant in the original formation of the logo,
and term "pricelessware", I have no objections, however what John F. and
others have said does have merit IMHO.
Sincerely
granpaw

Mike Bourke

While I think "free software" is the more technically correct, "freeware" is
more correct in terms of the spirit of the list. Furthermore, I know which
term I would be looking for with a search engine! I would suggest perhaps
phrasing it "Freeware and other absolutely free software", but that just
comes across as mealymouthed. Still, if there's nothing better.... perhaps
there should be a vote on which of the three phrasings people prefer.

Mike Bourke

Bjorn Simonsen

John Fitzsimons wrote in said:
The words "free software" encourages the inclusion of "adware" etc.
"Freeware" is IMO a much better word.

Agree.

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher

Bjorn said:
John Fitzsimons wrote in <[email protected]>:

Despite all the specific prohibitions? ISTM anyone who misses those probably doesn't know there *is*
a Pricelessware slogan. . .

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2005/about2005PL.php
"There are NO Adware/Spyware programs on the Pricelessware List."

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php
"The following ware types are not acceptable for nomination. . . . Adware"

The PL slogan says *everything* on the PL is Freeware (Registerware, Requestware, Donationware etc.
etc. etc.). That encourages the use of "Freeware" to describe any software that has no monetary cost.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Bjorn Simonsen

Susan Bugher wrote in said:
The PL slogan says *everything* on the PL is Freeware (Registerware, Requestware, Donationware etc.
etc. etc.). That encourages the use of "Freeware" to describe any software that has no monetary cost.

Freeware is the normative ideal, a list of the "best of the best" our
primary goal, what we aim for. Yes, some exceptions to the rule have
been allowed in, other free software, not truly freeware. Free
Software is thus descriptive correct. Or in other words - a more
accurate description. But I don't think we should loose sight of
the normative side of it, our primary goal, when putting up a
slogan(*) Thus, Freeware is after all more prescriptive/normative
correct...The best of the best in Freeware - what we aim for.

(*)<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=slogan>
1. A phrase expressing the aims or nature of an enterprise,
organization, or candidate; a motto.
[...]

All the best,
Bjorn Simonsen

Peggy

[...]

last year I voted in a thread called,
Re: PL: Change the PL Slogan or Not - Vote Here
Wed, 18 Aug 2004

I haven't the whole thread, just my post in my outbox. I don't know
what the results of that vote were. but I had voted for

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

David

last year I voted in a thread called,
Re: PL: Change the PL Slogan or Not - Vote Here
Wed, 18 Aug 2004

I haven't the whole thread, just my post in my outbox. I don't know
what the results of that vote were. but I had voted for

"The best of the best in Windows© Freeware as
determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware."

Why do you want it limited to Windows© Freeware? Just because you
don't use other operating systems doesn't mean they do not exist.

Daniel Mandic

Susan said:
Our current Pricelessware slogan is "The best of the best in Freeware
as determined by the readers of alt.comp.freeware" I suggest we

This sounds good.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Susan Bugher

Susan Bugher

Mike said:
While I think "free software" is the more technically correct, "freeware" is
more correct in terms of the spirit of the list. Furthermore, I know which
term I would be looking for with a search engine! I would suggest perhaps
phrasing it "Freeware and other absolutely free software", but that just
comes across as mealymouthed. Still, if there's nothing better.... perhaps
there should be a vote on which of the three phrasings people prefer.

IMO we make our best decisions through discussion. If the group divides into two camps a vote is
sometimes necessary but it should be a desperate last resort. I don't regard possible improvements
in the wording of the slogan as a particularly divisive issue. I think we'll be able to reach a
consensus through discussion.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

Bjorn said:
Susan Bugher wrote in <[email protected]>:
Freeware is the normative ideal, a list of the "best of the best" our
primary goal, what we aim for. Yes, some exceptions to the rule have
been allowed in, other free software, not truly freeware. Free
Software is thus descriptive correct. Or in other words - a more
accurate description. But I don't think we should loose sight of
the normative side of it, our primary goal, when putting up a
slogan(*) Thus, Freeware is after all more prescriptive/normative
correct...The best of the best in Freeware - what we aim for.

(*)<http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=slogan>
1. A phrase expressing the aims or nature of an enterprise,
organization, or candidate; a motto.
[...]

I agree that we should keep the Freeware goal foremost. OTOH I think we need to make it quite clear
that it is a *goal* rather than an achievement. When I was a newbie in ACF I found that aspect of
the Pricelessware List very confusing. IMO it still is confusing to newbies or casual visitors to
the Pricelessware web pages.

Perhaps we just need a better explanation on the "front page" - something along these lines: "All
Pricelessware programs are free but not all are Freeware. Some have non-monetary costs. The program
may be liteware, registerware etc. See the Ware Glossary. . . . "

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Mike Bourke