[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot

Susan Bugher

[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006

"da rules" prohibit Nagware.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php
"If it is learned that the program's ware type is ineligible or it
becomes ineligible the program is removed from the Pricelessware List.."

Exceptions can be made via the Ware Ballot.
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/2006PL-Procedures.php
"In special cases programs may be placed on a Ware Ballot to determine
if the program's ware description is acceptable to newsgroup
participants. The Ware ballot is used only to determine elegibility.. A
two-thirds majority in favor of acceptance is required for a program to
be eligible for the Pricelessware List."

Two programs should have been on a PL2006 ware ballot - they weren't.
IOW - they haven't had their day in court. This ballot remedies that
oversight.

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic (AntiVir Personal Edition)
Company: Avira GmbH (was H+BEDV Datentechnik GmbH) Author: --
(Liteware) (Nagware) (Registerware: keyed) (free for personal use)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006SECURITY.php#0055-PW

PowerDesk
Company: Avanquest Publishing USA
(Liteware) (Registerware) (Nagware) (free)
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/2006/PL2006FILEUTILITIES.php#0578-PW

Discussion began in this thread: "Are you sure that belongs in
pricelesswarehome.org... ?" If you wish to comment please post in that
thread. This thread is only for votes. TIA

The following votes have already been cast (in the discussion thread):

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Vegard Krog Petersen <[email protected]>
»Q« <[email protected]>
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson <[email protected]>
John Corliss <[email protected]>
Dewey Edwards <[email protected]>

PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Vegard Krog Petersen <[email protected]>
»Q« <[email protected]>
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson <[email protected]>
John Corliss <[email protected]>
Dewey Edwards <[email protected]>

This is a WARE ballot.

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay
in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Susan

------------------------

LEAVE THE STATEMENT YOU AGREE WITH.
Remove the statement you do NOT agree with.

-------------------------

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is elegible for the Pricelessware List.
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

PowerDesk is elegible for the Pricelessware List.
PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Klaatu

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.
PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Mickey S.

Susan Bugher said:
[...]

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not okay
in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Susan

Craig

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Ash

[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006

PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.[/QUOTE]

Ash

Ash

This is a WARE ballot.

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay
in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Susan

I'm not content with the wording above which imho lumps two
issues together which can easily face opposite directions.

Two separate issues -

1. nagware and its scope
2. have these programs crossed the line.

I have voted to remove Powerdesk because of the greyed out top
taskbar icons which have a mouseover to say the features are
available with the paid version. I regard this as clear nagging
that features have been withdrawn (crippleware), the same as I
would popups + clickthough nags.

However if Powerdesk had only the constant non-flashing/not moving
green company product banner near the bottom then I would have
been pleased to keep Powerdesk in the PL recomendations.
A vote this direction would in no way whatsoever mean that I
support nagware. I recall that many freeware programs have
prominant company logos/weblinks even where there are no commercial
products.

A short while ago I supported Emura Freeware Editor where a
number of group members were very vocal about feature
differences with the commercial product. I was a little miffed
that several called the editor crippleware without apparently
checking the program out before reaching the _same_ conclusion.
In the Emura freeware there are no greyed out icons or other
indications of withdrawn features - if such greyed items had
existed - I would have thought the product nagware and not
made a positive recomendation.

Ash

omega

Susan Bugher said:
The following votes have already been cast (in the discussion thread):

Excuse the non-vote post in a vote thread, but wanted to confirm, the
ref'd discussion thread, ?it is this one -

Subject: Are you sure that belongs in pricelesswarehome.org... ?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:02:40 -0700

Susan Bugher

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:02:40 -0700

Yup. That's the one.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

omega

Susan Bugher said:
PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

--
Karen S.

Re AntiVir. Historically, it had always been pure in my experience.
I've not used v7, the one that apparently has reported exhibited some
bad behavior. I felt a bit confused on first glance through the discussion
thread. I'm downloading AntiVir 7 today, to ascertain what I can witness,
before I reread the discussion thread, and then perhaps make a vote.

jacaranda

PowerDesk IS elegible for the Pricelessware List.

I use PowerDesk every day, and only receive a nag screen about once a year.
That hardly makes it nagware to me.

Further, Power Desk is the only FM I've found that allows you to put fave
files, folders and programs on the toolbar. And it keeps the original
appearance of the icon...instead of making them all yellow. This is
invaluable for quick access to my favorite files/folders. I couldn't live
without it. That makes PowerDesk unique IMO, and therefore priceless.

BTW, I use version 5. I don't know if version 6 has a more frequent nags.

jacaranda

Ash said:
I have voted to remove Powerdesk because of the greyed out top
taskbar icons which have a mouseover to say the features are
available with the paid version. I

PowerDesk 5 doesn't have this (at least not that I see). That's the
version I use, and the one I voted on. Why should we be voting on the
(apparently) worst version? Why not vote on a relatively non-offensive
version?

Susan Bugher

Ash said:
This is a WARE ballot.

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay
in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.
[/QUOTE]
I'm not content with the wording above which imho lumps two
issues together which can easily face opposite directions.

Two separate issues -

1. nagware and its scope

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/WareGlossary.php
"Nagware: has a popup (nag) screen, asking you to purchase the software.
You must press a button to get past the nag screen."
2. have these programs crossed the line.

IMO yes. Read the "Are you sure that belongs in pricelesswarehome.org...
?" thread for more information and pointers to some discussions that
preceded that thread.
A short while ago I supported Emura Freeware Editor where a
number of group members were very vocal about feature
differences with the commercial product. I was a little miffed
that several called the editor crippleware without apparently
checking the program out before reaching the _same_ conclusion.

This is the opposite of that - *known* Nagware apps - PL issues that
have never been properly addressed.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

PowerDesk 5 doesn't have this (at least not that I see). That's
the version I use, and the one I voted on. Why should we be
voting on the (apparently) worst version? Why not vote on a
relatively non-offensive version?

Please stop discussion in this thread. From Susan's OP:

Discussion began in this thread: "Are you sure that belongs in
pricelesswarehome.org... ?" If you wish to comment please post
in that thread. This thread is only for votes. TIA

Kurt

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is elegible for the Pricelessware
List. AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is NOT elegible for the
Pricelessware List.

PowerDesk is elegible for the Pricelessware List.
PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Even Afwezig

[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware
List.

PowerDesk is NOT elegible for the Pricelessware List.

Dewey Edwards

[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006

I think I only voted as to the programs. Then noticed this.
This is a WARE ballot.
in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Please suppliment my vote to include my belef that Nagware is never ok
on the PL.

Susan Bugher

Dewey said:
[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006

I think I only voted as to the programs. Then noticed this.
This is a WARE ballot.

in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Please suppliment my vote to include my belef that Nagware is never ok
on the PL.

rats. . . my attempt at enlightenment has led to confusion. :(

The "if you think" etc. etc. info is just a reminder of the *purpose* of
a ware ballot (it's been a while since we had one).

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

JP Loken

På Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:16:56 +0100, skrev Susan Bugher
[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006
This is a WARE ballot.

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay
in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Susan
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic is elegible for the Pricelessware List.

(Don't know about PowerDesk.)

Dewey Edwards

Dewey said:
[PL] PL 2006 Ware Ballot
March 17 - March 24, 2006

I think I only voted as to the programs. Then noticed this.
This is a WARE ballot.

If you think Nagware is always okay on the PL - or you think it's okay

in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

If you think Nagware is never okay on the Pl - or you think it's not
okay in the case of one or both of these apps vote accordingly.

Please suppliment my vote to include my belef that Nagware is never ok
on the PL.

rats. . . my attempt at enlightenment has led to confusion. :(

Nah, we're both just perfectionists. ;)
The "if you think" etc. etc. info is just a reminder of the *purpose* of
a ware ballot (it's been a while since we had one).

Just covering all bases, even if they sometimes don't need covering.
<g>