Philips DVD + RW SDVD8820 not workng

Reaction score
Hi, This is my first post on here so be gentle with me, I am more used to discussing ferrets!

I have a problem with my DVD drive which I think may be mechanical rather than software as when I did a trouble shoot it insisted that it is working fine.

When I out a disc in the drive it makes a lot of clicking and whirring sounds, not the gentle whoosh sound it used to. It makes a noise for a while then stops, when i call up the drive on My Computer t doesn't show any disc present at all.

If it is knackered, for want of a better word, how easy is it to take the old one out and put a new one in, I'm not exactly a computer whizz but willing to try. I have a Dell Inspion 1300.

Reaction score
Hi Wilbur
Welcome to PCR..Without getting to technical it sounds like the eye is slippin on its gears..Remove find nearest skip and toss..Fitting a replacement is straight forward, couple of screws, a few cables, and there you go..the rest will d itself for you...

Reaction score
Hello,

I would say that there is a good chance that the disk drive is dead or is dieing. Please try this below it gives you information how on to resaet your disk drive. If this does not work then you need to buy a new disk drive and there are very cheap to buy and are easy to install.

http://forum.novatech.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20791

I have had this issue with my laptop a while ago and it turned out to be the disk drive got it replaced and its all fine now. Also is it still under warranty. I would look in your ccomputer manual as to how to take it out becasue the guide that I gave you is from another brand of pc and it make me diffrent.

P.S. Welcome to PC Review we are allways gentle here. :wave:

Reaction score
Thanks for the prompt replies. You guys are as nice as we are on ferretsforum. I will try reseating it then bin it if that doesn't make any difference.

Reaction score
Wilbur said:
Thanks for the prompt replies. You guys are as nice as we are on ferretsforum. I will try reseating it then bin it if that doesn't make any difference.

We do try our best...

Reaction score
I remember being out on the town and on the way back we met a homeless person who had a pet ferret.
I told him I used to keep ferrets, held it..... F*CKING thing bit me. Atleast we laugh about it now :p

Reaction score
Hi,

Give it and go and see if it works. If not then I would phone dell and ask them to send you out a replacement drive or you good go and buy one. They don't cost much. :)

Regards,
Wiz

Reaction score
JaLing said:
I remember being out on the town and on the way back we met a homeless person who had a pet ferret.
I told him I used to keep ferrets, held it..... F*CKING thing bit me. Atleast we laugh about it now :p

he'd obviously not been to ferretsforum for nip training advice. Did it nip or really bite? Mine can eat a raw chicken wing so I am glad they don't bite. :)

Reaction score
I did bleed a little.... or was that from the trolley surfing 10mins before ?
I can't fully remember :p

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi,

Give it and go and see if it works. If not then I would phone dell and ask them to send you out a replacement drive or you good go and buy one. They don't cost much. :)

Regards,
Wiz

Thanks, I took it out last night and checked the screws, they are nice and tight. So I restarted without it in, then turned off and put it back and restarted again, no joy so i am on ebay to get a new one.

Neither Philis, they refer you to Dell, or Dell sell this one anymore, seems my laptop is old hat now. I can get a new one off ebay but was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a newer model. I don't need anything fancy, just occasionla music and a few kids games, mostly Dorling Kindersley stuff nothing major.

Thanks again for your help.

Reaction score
Wilbur said:
Thanks, I took it out last night and checked the screws, they are nice and tight. So I restarted without it in, then turned off and put it back and restarted again, no joy so i am on ebay to get a new one.

Neither Philis, they refer you to Dell, or Dell sell this one anymore, seems my laptop is old hat now. I can get a new one off ebay but was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a newer model. I don't need anything fancy, just occasionla music and a few kids games, mostly Dorling Kindersley stuff nothing major.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi,

No problem its always worth a try first. Its up to you really you can up-grade to a newer model it would still work ok. What sort of price range are you looking at?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Decided to stick to the same model, don't need any more features so why pay for them.

Thanks for your help guys, I have recommended you to a few others too.

doc

Reaction score
drive; Philips DVD+RW SDVD 8820

Hi folks, I have a the same drive; Philips DVD+RW SDVD 8820, in a Gateway laptop (model#) MP8708. The motor does not seem to be spinning but I do get plenty of clicking etc. I assume the drive motor is no longer with us; my question is how difficult or wise is it for me to repair or replace this myself. I'm pretty handy as a rule with most anything, but have limited experience inside laptops. I appreciate any feedback, Thanks.

Reaction score
doc said:
Hi folks, I have a the same drive; Philips DVD+RW SDVD 8820, in a Gateway laptop (model#) MP8708. The motor does not seem to be spinning but I do get plenty of clicking etc. I assume the drive motor is no longer with us; my question is how difficult or wise is it for me to repair or replace this myself. I'm pretty handy as a rule with most anything, but have limited experience inside laptops. I appreciate any feedback, Thanks.

I did it myself and my skills are very basic. It just needs one screw undone then the old one slides out and the new one slots in and do the screw back up easy peasy. i got the new one off eBay.

Ask a Question