P4V800D-X sound problem

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I built a pc with a new P4V800D-X mobo some time ago. After a few years the hdd showed up some problems so I replaced it and did a fresh install of the XP PRO. Everything seems to work ok apart from the sound. There is no sound and no sound device is found when checking through the system.

I have downloaded the relevant driver from the Asus site " AD 1888 " but it will not install and tells me that no device has been found.

I'm a bit vague here as the pc is 100 miles away from me and a couple of weeks have passed since I did the install. I checked through the bios and everything else I could think of but still no sound.

It is a bit of a puzzle as I built the darn thing and it had sound but now it don't and I can not seem to work out what I did originally to have the dratted pc running properly.

So any bright ideas folks. :confused:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quite possible the onboard audio chip has stopped working. If all software/bios settings are correct and a suitable set of working speakers or headphones are correctly connected there seems little else it could be.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Yup checked bios.

All I've done is swap over hdd. This is a right pain.

If no one has anyother ideas I guess I can just plug in a PCI sound card.

wallbash.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Yup checked bios.

All I've done is swap over hdd. This is a right pain.

If no one has anyother ideas I guess I can just plug in a PCI sound card.

wallbash.gif

I'm out of ideas on this. As Flopps said the sound chip must have died. If plug in a PCI sound card that should be fine.

Ask a Question