No sound

Reaction score
Last weekend my PC failed and Tech. Support for my ISP diagnosed the problem as Ethernet related and advised me to install an Ethernet card. The only available slot was where my sound card (Sound Blaster Audigy SE) was and being desperate to be up and running I removed it and replaced it with the Ethernet card. The diagnosis turned out to be a misdiagnosis so out with the Ethernet and back with the sound card; after I finally figured out the problem. Now I have no sound. The software has been uninstalled, reinstalled and all the drivers have been updated. When I go into property for devices it states that all drivers are working, up to date and enabled; yet still no performance.I know I have to be missing something but I just can't figure it out. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!!!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you've put it back in the same slot and all your software/drivers are correct, is there a chance that you've plugged the speakers in incorrectly? There are often a few ports on the back where they can plug in to, so it's worth double checking as it's an easy mistake to make :).

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, I need all the help I can get: however, I did check what I thought was the most obvious. I'll just have to keep "pluggin" so to speak. Just finished with a couple of your reviews on the Trust Sound Card and also on the Trust Speaker System. Found them both to be very informative and thorough. Thanks..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
External speakers almost always plug into the green coloured socket.

If the card is shown as active in the control panel then look for a software problem. First check that if there's a volume icon in the taskbar then right click on it (or double click, can't remember) and make sure the volume slider is up and that it's not muted.

Next look at the Creative software or the control panel audio controls and make sure the correct output is selected, it could, for instance, be set to digital out only and you'd need to change it to analogue or stereo speakers.

And some software asks for which socket you want the sound out to go to, it would be worth checking every part of the software and making sure things are set as they should be. Oh, another obvious thing - are the loudspeakers switched on? ;)

And I'd stay with the Soundblaster card, better choice than a Trust soundcard.

Reaction score
Thanks fbs but I have already checked what you have mentioned. I'll have to agree that my problem lies within a setting. I'm just missing something somewhere and sooner or later I will be able to resolve it. Thanks again for the input.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Just one small thing - to verify the computer's sound output is at fault and not the speakers, plug a pair of headphones into the sound card loudspeaker socket and play some music. If they work, the speakers are at fault. If they don't work, nothing lost.

Reaction score
I finally located the problem in the service panel. All is well now. Much appreciated fbs and muckshifter. Btw, until I read that review on the hardware from Trust I had never even heard of them; and I will stick with the Soundblaster card. Thanks again...

Ask a Question