Odd Partition Identification

drybones

Windows XP SP2 Media 2005

Two hard drives.
#1 Hd has the Primary Drive (Windows) and a second partition for Games
They are identified as:
Windows XP (C:) and Games (D:)
Okay no oddities here.

On HD #2 there are three (3) partitions and here lies the oddity with one
of the Partition names:

Disk Two-My Documents (E) (E:) Note the double "E"
I had moved "My Documents" to this drive partition and do not know how
to re-name the partition to read more correctly as~~
Disk Two-My Documents (E:)

The other two partitions do read as I wanted.

Disk Two-Downloads (F:) Disk Two-Ghost Backups (G:)

How does the Admin, (me) change the partition name for Disk Two-My
Documents to read with a single (E:) and not mess up Windows and Words
2003 ability to locate these word documents?

Thank you for reading and hopefully assisting these old drybones to
straighten up this mess.

drybones

db

because you have a number of
partitions that organize your data
very smartly across a multitude
of partitions; I would highly recommend
that you buy a program like Acronis
Disk Director.

With the above program you can
then create a temp partition to move
the contents of e to it.

Then go back and delete the e partition
to remove the unwanted tag.

Then recreate E and transfer your data
back over to it.

As you can imagine Windows
is limited with the above flexiability...

however, i think acronis can modify
those tags. i havnt found a need to
modify mine - yet.
- db
Windows XP SP2 Media 2005

Two hard drives.
#1 Hd has the Primary Drive (Windows) and a second partition for Games
They are identified as:
Windows XP (C:) and Games (D:)
Okay no oddities here.

On HD #2 there are three (3) partitions and here lies the oddity with one
of the Partition names:

Disk Two-My Documents (E) (E:) Note the double "E"
I had moved "My Documents" to this drive partition and do not know how
to re-name the partition to read more correctly as~~
Disk Two-My Documents (E:)

The other two partitions do read as I wanted.

Disk Two-Downloads (F:) Disk Two-Ghost Backups (G:)

How does the Admin, (me) change the partition name for Disk Two-My
Documents to read with a single (E:) and not mess up Windows and Words
2003 ability to locate these word documents?

Thank you for reading and hopefully assisting these old drybones to
straighten up this mess.

drybones

drybones

Thank you for your reply.
Acronis is not one of my favored program sites. Tried the
backup program with no luck at one time and little support
from Acronis.

Then too, the need to move or copy all documents to another
partition then return the Word .docs would almost certainly
cause each of the documents to become "read only" and
then I should have to uncheck each document from the read
only by unticking the check mark. "or so I have been informed"

Lets see what some other kind person can, or may come with
to get me past this little dilemma.

drybones

#1 Hd has the Primary Drive (Windows) and a second partition for Games
They are identified as:
Windows XP (C:) and Games (D:)
Okay no oddities here.

On HD #2 there are three (3) partitions and here lies the oddity with one
of the Partition names:

Disk Two-My Documents (E) (E:) Note the double "E"
I had moved "My Documents" to this drive partition and do not know how
to re-name the partition to read more correctly as~~
Disk Two-My Documents (E:)

The other two partitions do read as I wanted.

Disk Two-Downloads (F:) Disk Two-Ghost Backups (G:)

How does the Admin, (me) change the partition name for Disk Two-My
Documents to read with a single (E:) and not mess up Windows and Words
2003 ability to locate these word documents?

Thank you for reading and hopefully assisting these old drybones to
straighten up this mess.

drybones

Patrick Keenan

drybones said:
Thank you for your reply.
Acronis is not one of my favored program sites. Tried the
backup program with no luck at one time and little support
from Acronis.

Try a newer versions. I have great results with them. There's a two-week
free trial version.
Then too, the need to move or copy all documents to another
partition then return the Word .docs would almost certainly
cause each of the documents to become "read only"

Why would you think that? I do this regularly and do not observe this
behaviour.
and
then I should have to uncheck each document from the read
only by unticking the check mark. "or so I have been informed"

I think you may be misinformed on that. Restoring usung Imaging or backup
does not (given standard settings) set a read-only attribute. Yes, if they
are put on a read-only media like CDR they will be read only there, and
there are a couple of circumstances where you can restore them to the hard
disk as read-only.

In that rare case, you can easily change the whole structure to read/write.
One fast way is to simply run a command prompt, navigate to the root folder
in question, and use the attrib command, like "attrib -r *.* /s". You'll
be done in a minute.
Lets see what some other kind person can, or may come with
to get me past this little dilemma.

For the drive letters, right-click on My COmputer, choose Manage, then Disk
Management, and then right-click on the drives and choose Change Drive
Letters. Use as appropriate.

HTH
-pk

drybones

Many thanks for the "Heads Up" and illumination of incorrect
assumptions.

Will give the Acronis another 'look' soon.

drybones

JerryM \(ID\)

Have you tried changing the drive letters in Disk Management?

Right click My Computer, select Manage,
Select disk management,
Go to full screen to see all the drives,
Click the drive to highlite it, then Action at the top,
Select all tasks, Change drive letter and paths,
Follow screen prompts.

I hope you've solved it by now.

If you haven't:
right click on your E: drive icon. Choose 'properties' you should be able
to delete the (E) there.