Odd Modem problem

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
My sister's computer. It has a dial up modem and when her telephone rings it switches the computer on.

Anybody have any ideas? It's an internal Diamond 56K Modem in PCI slot 4.

I've told her to switch the power supply switch off for now to get round the problem temporarily.

Her old motherboard & PSU died recently so I replaced the board & PSU and also replaced her 800Mhz Duron with an XP1700 CPU I had spare.

She also tells me her Internet connection is now slower. Before she was running basic XP without even SP1, I've reinstalled XP Pro with SP2 and all updates. I've advised her to turn off the XP Firewall but I'm wondering why that should be.

I'm wondering if the two problems are related. When I visit her again I'll try changing Modem to different slot and I Have an external US Robtics modem I can try to see if that cures the problem.

It's a dual boot system, 12Gb for Win 98 (so her daughter can play some old kid's games that only run on Win 98) and 8Gb for for XP.

The computer is quite low spec, but it does it's job.

Here's the hardware spec:

Gigabyte GA700N Pro 2 Motherboard, latest Bios
XP1700 CPU
Generic case with Jeantech 350W PSU
256Mb Memory
20Gb PATA Maxtor Hard Disk
DVD ROM Drive
Floppy Drive
ATI Radeon 7000 AGP Vid card 32Mb
Diamond internal 56K Modem

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is there something set in the BIOS for Wake on Lan? I know its a longshot, but it might be effecting the modem too.

Some PCs can wake from a keypress or a network packet, so the BIOS may be worth checking?

Edit : Problem under Power Management, as wake on LAN and/or wake on ring.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Only thing i can think of flopp's is does the modem have wake on lan enabled and thats interfering when the phone rings...I used to have a diamond 56k modem years ago but never had that particular problem...

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aha, thanks fellas, I hadn't thought of that, I'll check it out.

Dang, gotta drive from Greenwich to Whetstone for that :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Floppy ... them Diamond Modems are software modems ... replace it. Ian is right on the Wake-up call. ;)

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Floppy ... them Diamond Modems are software modems ... replace it. Ian is right on the Wake-up call. ;)

:thumb:

Were ALL Diamond modems software modems? I actually ordered that modem and fitted it 3.5 years ago, I'm sure it was a hardware model.

But, I may just let her have my US Robotics external jobbie, I was keeping it for emergencies in case I temporarily lost Broadband service but at least it would find a good home with my sister.

muckshifter

Reaction score
maybe ... me, I never trusted them though

All the ones in Hps, Hewlet Crapards, Comcraps .... bla ble ... they drove me nuts every time I seen one, no drivers would not work.

... have a look before you rip it out under 98, in the modem diagnostics it will tell you. :thumb:

oh look ... the spell checker thinks I got all them company names wrong. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Drivers on CD work fine in 98, XP recognised it and did not need drivers.

Ok, I'll check it out when next I visit.

I'm going to try to talk her through the BIOS change on the phone, will save me time and petrol ;)

muckshifter

Reaction score
You really must get over your anxiety about going outside the M25 ... is it true they built it to keep you all in one place? :confused:

If it don't work or she cannot follow your instructions ... disconnect the cable before the phone rings. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
She's actually within the M25 - just ;)

She's switching it off at the mains plug for now, so no probs.

We thinking about putting up a Hadrians Wall all around the outside of the M25, keep all those northern barbarians, jocks, taffs, Cornish country carot crunchers et al out of this cultured enclave :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ha, I knew you were going to say that ... Doh!

Better watch your backs ... them Europeans can be a little more tricky.

:D

Ask a Question