Modem and Mobo prob

Reaction score
A friend of mine just upgraded from her P 233 MMX w/ 64MB RAM and an AGP Trident 9750 to the following:

1. MSI K7N2 Delta2
  2. Sempron 2400+
  3. Geforce FX 5200 (128bit)
  4. 256 MB GEIL DDR400
She kept her old Modem, some Motorola, but as it wasn't compatible with Xp she swapped it for a Zoltrix Spirit 56k. Mysteriously, the modem IS properly detected and and the drivers installed, but as it tries to dial a number, there is no dial tone.
She's tried several different slots and cables but no use. Then she found out that as long as the modem is not connected to the Mobo, you can hear the dialtone in a phone connected to the phone jack on the back, when line jack is also connected. but as soon as she puts it into a slot, the tone VANISHES so to speak...
Any Idea?

="D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be a faulty modem or cable - especially if it happens when the modem isn't even connected. :(

Can you try it in another PC?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Sounds like it could be a faulty modem or cable - especially if it happens when the modem isn't even connected. :(

Can you try it in another PC?
Yup, it worked on another rig, actually it belonged to her friend who didn't need it anymore. And it DOES work when it's not connected. So I guess it's not compatible with the Mobo or it took damage while handling. I have only talked over the phone with her, I mean I haven't been there to see for myself. Anyways, she decided to get a new one.

Can you suggest a good one? The shops will be closed the next three days and she wants to get one today...
Thanks.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
erebon said:
Can you suggest a good one? The shops will be closed the next three days and she wants to get one today...
Thanks.
I'm a bit out of touch with 56k Modems, so someone else may be able to give you some good models. I think most modems will be fine, just don't get this one again ;)

Ask a Question