Windows XP NTDetect Failed

Reaction score
I am using a Toshiba satellite L10.

I keep getting the message "ntdetect failed" on booting the laptop. even when I try pressing F8 and using safe mode, last known config, etc. i get the same message. I tried using the windows CD to copy the ntdetect file but when i try booting from it the screen remains blank (with the flashing cursor) for a while and then it seems to give up and gives me the message again.

I have also tried using boot CDs which have resulted in the same thing. The only CD (DVD actually) that worked was the recovery cd that comes with the laptop, but all it has is a format and reinstall windows option. I managed using this cd to get to a command prompt when i exit the recovery console, but it has a limited set of commands. I tried then to insert the windows cd and copying the files but it said that x:\ was not detected (the cd drive).

Help please

Reaction score
Go into BIOS and set your comp to boot from CD..Insert your CD then restart, once it restarts there should be an option to do a reapir..follow from there and see what happens..

Reaction score
Well I was using F12 to goto the boot menu and then select CD/DVD, but now I also tried to change the order and it didn't work.

Reaction score
Problem Solved!!! Turns out that the CD drive wasn't reading CD's properly during booting for some reason...(old age probably) only DVD's, so I got Windows XP burned on a DVD and copied the missing file.

Ask a Question