Nothing works. Its all new too!!

Reaction score
Every component is brand new apart from Hard drive.
P5N-E SLI
500 watt power supply
Thermal rock case etc.

Its all connected but the only light is on the motherboard. This to me indicates it has power, no?
No case lights or optical drive lights.
Power on switch dosnt do a damn thing.
No fans turn...... Nothing!

Is this a motherboard problem, is their something special about this motherboard i should know, or have the last two brand new psu's been duds? Help.

Reaction score
Double check your power switch connection with a small screw driver.

If the cpu fan liturally moves like a mm then you probably have a short (m/b to case), poorly inserted card or most common a poorly connected fdd, hd or optical disc drive (usually the fdd).

Recommended action :- remove everything and build on a flat surface.
Try just the m/b, cpu, ram and graphics to start..... build upwards by adding your other components.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Double check the bundle of wires that come out the front panel of the case, connect these wrong on the mobo connectors and it won't turn on..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think JaLing's advice is good, although I've never known a FDD to prevent a machine get through POST.

Disconnect all, leaving just motherboard/CPU/memory/grafix card and see if machine powers up.

Are you getting any beeps?

Are you positive you have all the front case cables connected correctly?

Is the memory and grafix card seated securely?

If none of those suggestions help, as JaLIng pointed out you may have a S/C from mobo to case. In which case remove one screw at a time from mobo mounts and attempt to POST. Or isolate mobo completely, take it out the case and lay it on an insulated surface.

One last thought - if the grafix card requires a PSU cable connected, you do have one connected don't you?

If some of these suggestions seem obvious, forgive me, but you haven't provided very much information.

Reaction score
A poorly connected ATX PSU to a FDD would cause a short effect..... it was very common amongst P2 installations and still occasionally occurs today amongst newer setups.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
JaLing said:
A poorly connected ATX PSU to a FDD would cause a short effect..... it was very common amongst P2 installations and still occasionally occurs today amongst newer setups.

Well I never.

You live and learn eh? :)

Reaction score
Yeah... I only figured it after quad checking everything back in the day.... but I spose it's like I never have had a m/b short, whereas its one of the most common.

We learn from others experience :D

Reaction score
I had plugged a 4 pin connector from the psu straight into the cpu fan controller on the motherboard. It started up sweet but didnt post. I think i shorted something, bugger!!!

Live and learn ah.

Reaction score
mrpink said:
I had plugged a 4 pin connector from the psu straight into the cpu fan controller on the motherboard. It started up sweet but didnt post. I think i shorted something, bugger!!!

Live and learn ah.

Sorry to ask, but how in hells name did you manage to connnect a 4 pin square connector into an inline 3 pin connector..?? Just looking at an old mobo to see, you would damage the 3 pin CPU fan controller so badly the 4 pin PSU connector would just fall off

Reaction score
Its a a four pin inline connector not 3. And the 4 pin connector from the psu fitted so...yeah, bugger.

Captain Jack Sparrow

Anti-cryptominer
Reaction score
Well looks like you touched the motherboard or static sensitive device crucial to the PC-

And discharged static onto it which must have destroyed it unfortunately :(
Try removing certain parts - Optical drive, FDD drive, try different memory and different memory slots. Then try the computer. If you have stripped the computer of everything, and still no fans turn on then it looks like your motherboard and/or Power supply is damaged or faulty.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if you built the system yourself there is a high chance that some cables have not been connected properly or you knocked one loose, it happened to me too.

As for Flops
Floppybootstomp said:
I think JaLing's advice is good, although I've never known a FDD to prevent a machine get through POST.
Well I never either. When it happened to me, it just slowed POST down to a crawl but didn't stop the system from booting.

Last edited:

Ask a Question