Norton Internet Security 2010 compatibility problem?

Steve Cochran

I spent 5 years testing every build of LH and Vista that was made available to the MVPs, trying to get improvements to OE by continuously testing and bugging, and made several contributions (the eml file format being the way messages are now stored instead of the dbx file, being just one of them). But the code got reset and then all the improvements were forgotten and we had to start over in terms of trying to get the bugs fixed. Then they abandoned Windows Mail during the beta and went on with what they now call "Windows Live Mail" and refused to fix the bugs we had made lists of for years. We were lied to and our bug reports were deliberately ignored, with the exception that they told us the MVPs made the best bug reports. Then they stopped communicating with the MVPs completely, except what they decided to force-feed them.

So how would you deal with a mendacious group that ignored (and continue to ignore in WLM) bugs and ignored MVP feedback???

My approach has been to continously push for a positive impact on OE and Windows Mail -- to fix long standing bugs -- for over 13 years. The success rate has been abysmal, but some features of WLM which are not bugs are due to such continuous pressure on the part of the OE MVPs, many of whom are no longer active or even alive.

I'm a "purist" in the sense that I believe software should exist bugfree, as far as possible. But there is no such feeling on the part of those at Microsoft. They have little or no quality control and they continue to release dysfunctional beta software to the general public, particularly in terms of the "Mail" product.

The "Mail" product has also been significantly dumbed-down (and bugged-up) and has gone from color to b&w in your analogy, so it is those who are clammering for b&w who seem to be prevalent, and they have forgotten that there was once such a thing as color.

steve

MS-MVP
Outlook Express / Windows Mail
1998 -- present

I learned a long time ago that impact is function of approach.

Purists will always cling to the past...many still wondering why their black and white TV's are on the fritz. Enjoy OE while you
can.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
Yes, I'm well aware of that and won't even install it on my test machines. <G>

OE is not in beta any longer: www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx At least one is dealing with a known quantity and is not led into
thinking one can have an impact on a MS product.

steve

As well as many others in these two x-posted newsgroups
Wave 4 is available <eg>

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
I would never install a beta on my "production" machine, and I've been exposed to beta software for years.

steve

Steve's advice is still very valid....note it was qualified as not being recommended for 'standard users'. You may or may not be
inthat category, but for most that are, avoiding beta applications on production or their only machine is always worthy of strong
consideration.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"osu9400" wrote in message

I disagree. This isn’t 1998. The quality of the MS betas are vastly improved than what they were several years ago. In fact,
what they release as a beta today would have been considered production in that era. I haven’t had any determinatal effects to any
of my machines. I’ve had betas on top of betas and was easily able to back out.

I would not recommend that standard users install a beta from Microsoft, unless they want to reformat their machines afterwards.
Beta software should not be installed by home users on their machines.

steve

Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...rosoft-security-essentials-now-available.aspx

“To download the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials, click here to visit the Microsoft Connect page to register for the beta.
Once completed – you will find the instructions for downloading and installing the beta.â€

- Note: Caution if part of the OGB. The above link is for a public beta. The installation of the public beta will remove that
machine from the OGB.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote in message
Not sure I have the latest, but my MSE says it's version 1.0.1963.0.
I clicked the Update button, but all it did was update the virus definitions.

Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

Does Microsoft Security Essentials scan the files related to
newsgroups posts for Windows Mail and Windows Live
Mail? If so does it cause any problems if both Microsoft
Security Essentials and Windows Mail or Windows Live
Mail are running at the same time?

Does it even need to scan the *.nws files? Why or why not?

Robert Miles

Victek said:
I'm having assorted problems with both Windows Live Mail
(current version) and Windows Mail; some information
from a Norton/Symantec chat technician indicates that
WLM is not compatible with NIS 2010 and WM is not
fully compatible.

I only installed NIS 2009 after seeing information that is
known to be compatible with WM, and assumed that upgrading
to NIS 2010 and/or installing WLM would not cause any new
problems. Should this assumption be revised?

Robert Miles
.
Can you be more specific? Are you using POP3 accounts and concerned about
NIS spam filtering? I'm running NIS 2010 on two machines using Hotmail
and Gmail (IMAP) accounts. NIS doesn't try to filter these and I have no
problems with it.
I was using only a POP3 account then, but have added an IMAP
account since. The spam filtering for my POP3 account is not
of interest - the email server already filters it before it reaches
my computers.

I'm far more interested in newsgroups filtering and being
able to import to import everything I have in Windows
Mail into Windows Live Mail, including all the storage folders.

Robert Miles

Gary VanderMolen

I run Windows Mail, Windows Live Mail, and MSE at the same time,
no problems. MSE does no live scanning of incoming or outgoing
messages, but it checks them during scheduled periodic scans,
and when messages are opened or saved.

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

Does Microsoft Security Essentials scan the files related to
newsgroups posts for Windows Mail and Windows Live
Mail? If so does it cause any problems if both Microsoft
Security Essentials and Windows Mail or Windows Live
Mail are running at the same time?

Does it even need to scan the *.nws files? Why or why not?

Robert Miles

I get little enough email spam that I already get far
more false positives than actual email spam. I'm far
more concerned with newsgroups spam.

Robert Miles

...winston

Lol..catching up on old posts before the group's closure.

Send feedback to Symantec..the quoted 'text' was theirs.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

wrote in message
I get little enough email spam that I already get far
more false positives than actual email spam. I'm far
more concerned with newsgroups spam.

Robert Miles

...winston

The need to scan newsgroup files is probably as diverse as the number of available newsgroups...though it would would seem that 'certain' newsgroups would rank higher than others in one's personal 'need to scan' equation.
--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

wrote in message
Does it even need to scan the *.nws files? Why or why not?

Robert Miles

Steve Cochran

Under Settings in MSE one can disable certain file types, including eml and nws. MSE does not remove spam. If you delete a message from the message store without making a corresponding removal of the reference to the message in the database, then there will be a mismatch in that the database will still think the message is present when in fact it has been deleted. This screws up the functionality of the messaging program, be it WinMail or Walmail. In OE it would result in destruction or corruption of the dbx file and the user often would find that all the messages in the folder are gone. cf. point #3 here: www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

steve