Norton Internet Security 2010 compatibility problem?

Nancy Jackman

Bingo!

Nancy

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
[...]

If people based their Windows usage on their experiences with [Windows] 3.0
and continued to do so, would
they be screaming for all those with XP, Vista, or 7 to wipe them off their
machines as they can't be any good?

That would make as much sense as the continuing clamour to uninstall NIS
2010 due to problems experienced
years ago with early versions of Norton.

I got some more information about compatibility from a Sysmantec/Norton
chat technician today. They claim that NIS 2010 is partly compatible with
WLM - enough not to interfere with the email functions, but not yet fully
tested for compatibility for other sections, such as the newsgroups section.
Therefore, when you say that NIS 2010 is compatible or not compatible
with WLM, you need to add whether you mean with the email section only,
or with just what other sections.

I'm finding signs that it is not fully compatible with the newsgroups
section,
but not quickly enough to decide to abandon any use of NIS 2010 yet.

Do you know if any *.nws files, especially those for text-only newsgroups,
can contain anything dangerous to Windows without any effort by the
user to extract it? If they can't, I may be able to find a way to tell NIS
2010
not to scan any of the directories containing *.nws files.

Also, today I found a way to give Symantec/Norton suggestions about
how to improve the compatibility with WLM and WM, and gave them
a few. No idea yet if those suggestions will improve it enough, though.

Robert Miles

Just how do you turn off and disable NIS 2010 in order to install
WLM? When I tried it, I found that Symantec/Norton seems
to have made it as difficult as they can, and hidden any information
on how to do it.

Also, how do you prevent your computer from being exposed
to viruses during the WLM installation?

And is it possible to uninstall and reinstall WLM without losing
anything already downloaded from the email and newsgroups
servers?

Robert Miles

...winston

<qp>
The client integration (spam folder, buttons, etc) is supported only for Outlook and Outlook Express. However, users can configure
Windows Mail (or other unsupported e-mail clients) to move the tagged spam to a spam folder.
To do this, first create a folder called "Norton AntiSpam Folder"
Then create a filter rule in your e-mail client to automatically filter e-mails containing the tag "Norton AntiSpam" in the subject
header to this "Norton AntiSpam Folder".
Periodically monitor this "Norton AntiSpam Folder" for any non-spam mails or False Positives and then delete them.
</qp>

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

wrote in message
[...]

N. Miller

First, your new client is broken. Seriously. Same problem that MSOE has,
that Windows Live Mail has (I think). It does not properly strip signatures
when it quotes. So it quoted my signature, including the Usenet standard
'dash-dash-space-endline'. So my news client, which properly strips all text
following the signature separator, stripped your text. Microsoft is probably
never going to fix this problem.
You are quite right that Norton security products were dismal for a number
of years. Before they released the 2009 line I avoided them and would
actively discourage others as well. But things changed in a big way in
2009, which led me to reconsider. Symantec brought in new people with a new
attitude and that resulted in dramatically improved software. All the big
complaints, such as slow install, even slower uninstall, settings corruption
and heavy drag on system resources, have been addressed. There have still
been issues with Symantec's tech support - particularly over the phone - and
I recommend that people opt for online chat support when needed. Otherwise
the products (NIS, NAV, N360) have been very compatible and scored pretty
well in various reviews. I understand that some people have had bad
experiences and simply don't want to revisit any Norton products. I don't
know if that's where you're coming from, but in any case I feel the new line
deserves fresh look. Sometimes people really do get their act together (at
least for a time <g>).

I was seriously burned by them once. I looked for a replacement, and that
replacement is very good. I don't really care that Symantec has got their
act together. A day late and a dollar short is not good enough to bring me
back.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Why struggle with a cantankerous program?
The Microsoft Security Essentials program is 100% compatible
with Microsoft mail client programs..

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

wrote in message
Just how do you turn off and disable NIS 2010 in order to install
WLM? When I tried it, I found that Symantec/Norton seems
to have made it as difficult as they can, and hidden any information
on how to do it.

Also, how do you prevent your computer from being exposed
to viruses during the WLM installation?

And is it possible to uninstall and reinstall WLM without losing
anything already downloaded from the email and newsgroups
servers?

Robert Miles

Jeff Layman

N. Miller said:
Why do I detect the logical fallacy of false analogy?

In what way? To quote from your 16.33 post today:
"I was seriously burned by them once. I looked for a replacement, and that
replacement is very good. I don't really care that Symantec has got their
act together. A day late and a dollar short is not good enough to bring me
back."

So you used Windows 3.0 once, got seriously burned, changed to linux (or
whatever), and don't care that Microsoft now have a much better OS. What's
wrong with the analogy?

osu9400

What are you doing that you are fearful of disabling your anti-malware
program for 5 minutes? Don't browse sites of ill repute while you are
installing.

wrote in message
[...]

Windows 3.0 never hosed my computer in such a manner that I had to re-load
the operating system. There is no comparison between the kinds of troubles
caused by one, vs. the other.

Nancy Jackman

<G>

Nancy

wrote in message
Just how do you turn off and disable NIS 2010 in order to install
WLM? When I tried it, I found that Symantec/Norton seems
to have made it as difficult as they can, and hidden any information
on how to do it.

Also, how do you prevent your computer from being exposed
to viruses during the WLM installation?

And is it possible to uninstall and reinstall WLM without losing
anything already downloaded from the email and newsgroups
servers?

Robert Miles

Steve Cochran

People can extoll the virtues of Norton as much as they want to. I have dealt with computer problems caused by Norton and Symantec programs for over 10 years and those issues have been ignored by Symantec. Thousands of users have lost messages because of Symantec. I don't care if they are improved. They will never get my support and I will uninstall the crap before ever using a computer that has it on it. They are interested in $$$$ only just as is MS and their concern for the user stops after the user has purchased the software.

So, the lovers of Norton can tell one how great it is, but those of us who have had to help users over the years know to stay away from the POS.

steve

I've already seen enough problems WITHOUT browsing sites of ill
repute. The best I can tell, two of my computers have downloaded
enough newsgroups posts that no NIS 2010 full scan has finished
for months.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

I'm with you, Steve. I lost faith in Norton/Symantec somewhere around 2003.
Like you, I've had to assist thousands of users who ran into problems using
their security software. I don't care how much they've improved. There are
better alternatives.

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message
People can extoll the virtues of Norton as much as they want to. I have dealt with computer problems caused by Norton and
Symantec programs for over 10 years and those issues have been ignored by Symantec. Thousands of users have lost messages because
of Symantec. I don't care if they are improved. They will never get my support and I will uninstall the crap before ever using a
computer that has it on it. They are interested in $$$$ only just as is MS and their concern for the user stops after the user
has purchased the software.

So, the lovers of Norton can tell one how great it is, but those of us who have had to help users over the years know to stay away
from the POS.

steve

Nancy Jackman

And others have helped "thousands of users" who have had infuriating
troubles with Microsoft software.

This is a continuing Bad Rap on Symantec.

Total Red Herring.

Nancy

"Gary VanderMolen (MVP)" wrote in message

[...]

To be sure, no software is perfect.
But techs who actually work in this field agree with me.
There is no point in struggling with balky software when good alternatives
are readily available. To each their own.

"Nancy Jackman" wrote in message
[...]

You don't know what you are talking about. I've battled Norton and its destruction of email messages for over 10 years. Its crapware and it slows your computer down at least 30%. Here's an example: www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3

I was interviewed by the NY Times for a podcast a couple years ago and they were questioning why the antivirus companies were releasing such destructive software on the users, and they contacted Symantec and it informed them that their security features were more important than any email loss to the users. That's a despicable answer in my opinion.

I continue to help people who daily lose their messages due to the lack of testing and lack of concern of software writers, including Microsoft.

steve

MS-MVP
Outlook Express / Windows Mail
1998 - present

Steve Cochran

At least we agree on that. <G>

Its too bad that others don't consider that some users don't have the same pleasant experience with Norton as they do. Just wait until they lose their messages.

steve

I'm having assorted problems with both Windows Live Mail
(current version) and Windows Mail; some information
from a Norton/Symantec chat technician indicates that
WLM is not compatible with NIS 2010 and WM is not
fully compatible.

I only installed NIS 2009 after seeing information that is
known to be compatible with WM, and assumed that upgrading
to NIS 2010 and/or installing WLM would not cause any new
problems. Should this assumption be revised?

Robert Miles
I've decided to at least finish the NIS 2010 run the chat
technician started a few days ago before checking if disabling
NIS 2010 gets around some of the problems I'm having.
Having my internet connection disabled during this disabling
should at least make it safe.

Now at 10,078,701 items scanned and still running.

I'm also thinking or participating in the Windows Live Mail
wave 4 beta test and the NIS 2011 beta test, in order to
suggest where they are incompatible, if I can first make an
adequate complete backup using the disk server I recently
bought.

The best I can tell, Norton is trying to make NIS compatible
with the email portions of both Windows Mail and Windows
Live Mail, with little effort so far for making it compatible
with the newsgroups portion as well.

Robert Miles