Norton Internet Security 2010 compatibility problem?

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

As usual, they are behind the eight ball, too little, too late.
I remember how long it took them to come out with a version
compatible with Vista...

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

The best I can tell, Norton is trying to make NIS compatible
with the email portions of both Windows Mail and Windows
Live Mail, with little effort so far for making it compatible
with the newsgroups portion as well.

I've decided to at least finish the NIS 2010 run the chat
technician started a few days ago before checking if disabling
NIS 2010 gets around some of the problems I'm having.
Having my internet connection disabled during this disabling
should at least make it safe.

Now at 10,078,701 items scanned and still running.

I'm also thinking or participating in the Windows Live Mail
wave 4 beta test and the NIS 2011 beta test, in order to
suggest where they are incompatible, if I can first make an
adequate complete backup using the disk server I recently
bought.

The best I can tell, Norton is trying to make NIS compatible
with the email portions of both Windows Mail and Windows
Live Mail, with little effort so far for making it compatible
with the newsgroups portion as well.

Robert Miles
Finally finished, after scanning 10,624,766 items.

Now doing a manual run of the Disk Defragmenter program.
Expect that to take a few days also, before I'm ready to
disconnect that computer from the internet long enough
to disable NIS 2010 long enough to see if that fixes any of
the problems.

No Disk Defragmenter progress reports to help me estimate
just how long that will take, though.

Robert Miles

osu9400

Anyone try the new beta of Security Essentials that was released this week?

wrote in message
I'm having assorted problems with both Windows Live Mail
(current version) and Windows Mail; some information
from a Norton/Symantec chat technician indicates that
WLM is not compatible with NIS 2010 and WM is not
fully compatible.

I only installed NIS 2009 after seeing information that is
known to be compatible with WM, and assumed that upgrading
to NIS 2010 and/or installing WLM would not cause any new
problems. Should this assumption be revised?

Robert Miles

Gary VanderMolen

Not sure I have the latest, but my MSE says it's version 1.0.1963.0.
I clicked the Update button, but all it did was update the virus definitions.

Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

...winston

Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...rosoft-security-essentials-now-available.aspx

“To download the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials, click here to visit the Microsoft Connect page to register for the beta. Once completed – you will find the instructions for downloading and installing the beta.â€

- Note: Caution if part of the OGB. The above link is for a public beta. The installation of the public beta will remove that machine from the OGB.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote in message

Not sure I have the latest, but my MSE says it's version 1.0.1963.0.
I clicked the Update button, but all it did was update the virus definitions.

Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

Steve Cochran

I would not recommend that standard users install a beta from Microsoft, unless they want to reformat their machines afterwards. Beta software should not be installed by home users on their machines.

steve

Beta for Next Version of Microsoft Security Essentials Now Available
http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...rosoft-security-essentials-now-available.aspx

“To download the beta of Microsoft Security Essentials, click here to visit the Microsoft Connect page to register for the beta. Once completed – you will find the instructions for downloading and installing the beta.â€

- Note: Caution if part of the OGB. The above link is for a public beta. The installation of the public beta will remove that machine from the OGB.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote in message

Not sure I have the latest, but my MSE says it's version 1.0.1963.0.
I clicked the Update button, but all it did was update the virus definitions.

Gary VanderMolen, MVP (Mail)

What's the OGB?

[...]

The Disk Defragmenter program has been running for over 80
hours and still not finished. It definitely NEEDS at least some
progress reports.

Robert Miles

osu9400

I disagree. This isn’t 1998. The quality of the MS betas are vastly improved than what they were several years ago. In fact, what they release as a beta today would have been considered production in that era. I haven’t had any determinatal effects to any of my machines. I’ve had betas on top of betas and was easily able to back out.

[...]

The very small chance that something bad will happen when installing
this beta software is probably worth the increased level of security.
I can't remember a recent Microsoft beta that wasn't stable or easily uninstallable.

--
[...]

I would disagree, but everyone is entitled to an opinion.

I feel sorry for the "little" user who installs such and then finds trouble later.

steve

[...]

agreed 100%. the quality has improved dramatically over the years. In
fact, I install betas and CTP's for all my Microsoft products. The last
problem I can remember was a Vista pre-beta CTP.

[...]

Too late..

Gary V.(the person responded to) is using version 1.0.1963.0, i.e..the Ongoing Beta

--
....winston
MS-MVP[Mail]

"Steve Cochran" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I thought I had volunteered for the ongoing beta but wasn't sure.
There is no indication inside the program that it is in the OGB.

[...]

I was under the impression that your were running the OGB...

So to clarify,
If it came from Connect, 1963 is the most recent OGB.
If it came from the MSE site, it is a non beta RTW pushed late June.

To determine if participating in the OGB, check your Connect Dashboard. If you also signed up for the current MSE public beta, you
will have a separate Connect Dashboard entry(without the OGB nomenclature).

As noted earlier, installing the public beta on an OGB machine will remove that machine from the OGB.

--
[...]

Steve's advice is still very valid....note it was qualified as not being recommended for 'standard users'. You may or may not be in
that category, but for most that are, avoiding beta applications on production or their only machine is always worthy of strong
consideration.

--
....winston
ms-mvp mail

"osu9400" wrote in message

[...]

I would never install a beta on my "production" machine, and I've been exposed to beta software for years.

steve

"osu9400" wrote in message

[...]

As well as many others in these two x-posted newsgroups
Wave 4 is available <eg>

--

"osu9400" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I'm well aware of that and won't even install it on my test machines. <G>

OE is not in beta any longer: www.oehelp.com/OEnWin7.aspx At least one is dealing with a known quantity and is not led into thinking one can have an impact on a MS product.

steve

"osu9400" wrote in message

[...]

I learned a long time ago that impact is function of approach.

Purists will always cling to the past...many still wondering why their black and white TV's are on the fritz. Enjoy OE while you
can.