No sound through laptop speakers

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a friends laptop that has been given to me to fix. Its a HP Pavillion dv6000, the problem that I am having with it is that there is no sound coming out of the laptop speakers but there is sound coming out of the headphones. I have tried a recovery to factory settings 2 times now and its still the same. I have updated the drivers aswell. Still no luck.

Let me know if you need anymore information on specs. Its Windows XP Home SP3

Any help most welcome.

Many thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
Silly question but have you checked that the sound is on, on the sound icon bottom right of screen?

Reaction score
murdoch said:
Silly question but have you checked that the sound is on, on the sound icon bottom right of screen?

Hi murdoch,

Thanks for your reply.

Yep the sound is on in the bottom right of the screen. Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Wiz

Reaction score
murdoch said:
Try the Control Panel?
How old is the Laptop?

Yup, looked in there as well and it all looks fine, this is really odd problem. I have never seen this before I know if the drivers are not installed correctly, then the sound wont work but it works through the headphones and its all installed right in device manager.

Laptop is about 2years

Regards,

Wiz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
See if there are any settings within the BIOS to disable/enable the internal speakers, I doubt it's a software problem if you've done 2 factory resets. It could even be a physical problem with the speakers, or a loose internal connection.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I have looked in the BIOS and does not seem to be an option to enable and disable on board sound. Is there anything else that I can try, I dont think its a driver issue becuase the headphones would not work if the drivers did not install correctly.

Regards,

Wiz

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
See if there are any settings within the BIOS to disable/enable the internal speakers, I doubt it's a software problem if you've done 2 factory resets. It could even be a physical problem with the speakers, or a loose internal connection.

Hmm, this one is picking my brain lol. I agree with Ian on this one, because, if you have already wiped it twice, that would have solved a software problem. So therefore it must be a Hardware problem.

I can't imagine anthing else it could be. :(

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your replies.

I argree with both of you with regards to this problem. I have given it back to him and advised him that there is a physical fault with the laptop speakers. But the sound still comes through the headphone port on the laptop so he can use it thorugh that. This is really odd how they just died. :(

Thanks for your help anyway.

Regards,

Wiz

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score

I did see that you have looked at all the technical things, but as you say your headphones are working, it reminded me of the "problem" I thought I had with one of our laptops some time ago... I checked and re-checked the settings, convinced they were okay, but I had forgotten to click "OK" and the sound just kept reverting to headphones :rolleyes:

Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices (or just Sound for Vista) > Audio tab > Sound Playback > Default Device - use drop down arrow to select the playback source. Click OK.

Hope you won't feel offended Wiz - I very much doubt that you'd do a dizzy thing like that (I have to work hard to retain that nickname here at home :lol: ) Good luck.
:)

Reaction score
Thanks TC,

I will ask him for the laptop back so I can check this out. Will let you know how I get on.

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question