What U Hear not


O

OldGuy

Win XP Pro.

An app that uses Direct Sound to produce modified audio.
Microphone to Direct Sound App to laptop speaker/headphone works fine.
I can hear it on my laptop speakers (feedback since the source is
microphone) or headphones loud and clear.

But I cannot record this final audio.
I fiddled with the controls but cannot get a recording.
Any clues for me?
 
Ad

Advertisements

B

BillW50

OldGuy said:
Win XP Pro.

An app that uses Direct Sound to produce modified audio.
Microphone to Direct Sound App to laptop speaker/headphone works fine.
I can hear it on my laptop speakers (feedback since the source is
microphone) or headphones loud and clear.

But I cannot record this final audio.
I fiddled with the controls but cannot get a recording.
Any clues for me?

If the ability is there, it is in the mixer. I am assuming you have been
there. While probably not important, what are you using to try to
record with?

There are third party mixers too. As they can help where the OEM mixer
doesn't allow. It is my feeling this is done to prevent people from
recording streaming audio. Regardless of the reason, there is always a
way around this problem.
 
O

OldGuy

BillW50 explained :
If the ability is there, it is in the mixer. I am assuming you have been
there. While probably not important, what are you using to try to
record with?

There are third party mixers too. As they can help where the OEM mixer
doesn't allow. It is my feeling this is done to prevent people from
recording streaming audio. Regardless of the reason, there is always a
way around this problem.

MS Recorder.

So what are some of these 3rd party tools?
 
P

Paul

OldGuy said:
Win XP Pro.

An app that uses Direct Sound to produce modified audio.
Microphone to Direct Sound App to laptop speaker/headphone works fine.
I can hear it on my laptop speakers (feedback since the source is
microphone) or headphones loud and clear.

But I cannot record this final audio.
I fiddled with the controls but cannot get a recording.
Any clues for me?

sndrec32.exe

(1) Edit : Audio Properties (in sndrec32 panel)
(2) Sound recording : Volume button in Audio Properties panel
(3) Options : Properties in Recording Control panel
(4) Tick the "Stereo Mix" in Properties panel
(5) Return to Recording Control, tick Stereo Mix, adjust slider
(6) Take a deep breath, press Record (sndrec32 red record button).

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nkmp03.gif

At least, that's the navigation path I see here (WinXP Pro SP3).

Paul
 
O

OldGuy

After serious thinking Paul wrote :
OldGuy wrote:
sndrec32.exe

(1) Edit : Audio Properties (in sndrec32 panel)
(2) Sound recording : Volume button in Audio Properties panel
(3) Options : Properties in Recording Control panel
(4) Tick the "Stereo Mix" in Properties panel
(5) Return to Recording Control, tick Stereo Mix, adjust slider
(6) Take a deep breath, press Record (sndrec32 red record button).

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nkmp03.gif

At least, that's the navigation path I see here (WinXP Pro SP3).

Paul

sndrec32.exe says that 3.2G Free RAM is not enough ???

I plugged in a headset to the laptop and cannot find where to get sound
out to headset. Realtek. Headset Microphone does not go through or
show up on meters.

Another recording app runs but records silence.
 
Ad

Advertisements

O

OldGuy

OldGuy wrote on 4/11/2014 :
After serious thinking Paul wrote :
sndrec32.exe says that 3.2G Free RAM is not enough ???

I plugged in a headset to the laptop and cannot find where to get sound out
to headset. Realtek. Headset Microphone does not go through or show up on
meters.

Another recording app runs but records silence.

Ah ha! Realtek has an icon in Control Panel and it does require
manually switching from line input/output to mic/headset.
So at least I have the headset live.

Onward to see if Stereo Mix works.
 
B

BillW50

OldGuy said:
After serious thinking Paul wrote :

sndrec32.exe says that 3.2G Free RAM is not enough ???

Whoa! Wow! Holy Guacamole Batman!!!
I plugged in a headset to the laptop and cannot find where to get
sound out to headset. Realtek. Headset Microphone does not go
through or show up on meters.

Another recording app runs but records silence.

Your headset has the mic built into it? That is where you are trying to
record from? Does this headset have one or two plugs at the end of it?
And what is the make and model of this machine?
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul

OldGuy said:
After serious thinking Paul wrote :

sndrec32.exe says that 3.2G Free RAM is not enough ???

I plugged in a headset to the laptop and cannot find where to get sound
out to headset. Realtek. Headset Microphone does not go through or
show up on meters.

Another recording app runs but records silence.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/284893

"When you try to record a .wav file by using Sound Recorder on
a computer that has more than 2 gigabytes (GB) of RAM, you
receive the following error message:

Not enough memory available to complete this operation.
Quit one or more applications to increase available memory,
and then try again.
"

It's possible to leave 4GB of DIMMs plugged into the computer,
and then use boot.ini to restrict the memory in usage by the OS.

http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-boot-ini.html

/MAXMEM=2047 The number of megabytes of RAM that NT should see.
Must be less than or equal to the actual RAM.

Now, I wouldn't bother fooling around with that, but if you
want to prove a point, you could test it out.

Paul
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top