Newsgroups

Jeff T

Right now I use outlook express th view and read newsgroups. If I go to an
OS that doesn't have Outlook Express such as Windows 8, is there a good,free
newsgroup server that I can use. I hope I said that right and you know what
I mean. They get awful picky in here sometimes.
Jeff

VanguardLH

Jeff said:
Right now I use outlook express th view and read newsgroups. If I go to an
OS that doesn't have Outlook Express such as Windows 8, is there a good,free
newsgroup server that I can use. I hope I said that right and you know what
I mean. They get awful picky in here sometimes.
Jeff

Newsgroup *servers* don't care which operating system you use. For
newsgroup *clients*, there are several choices. If you look at my
headers, I'm using 40tude Dialog. Another choice is Mozilla's
Thunderbird. Then there are Xnews, Forte Agent, MesaNews, XanaNews, and
a slew of other NNTP clients.

Ask in the newsgroup that discusses newsreaders, which is:
news.software.readers

Don't just ask a vague question on which is best for you. Compile a
list of criteria of you require a newsreader must do along with some
nice-to-have features. Else, you'll just get each person's account of
what they chose to use. Few ever trial several of them (I did and you
already know my choice).

As for good free newsgroup *servers*, my choices are Eternal-September
and Albasani. AIOE is free but that owner has lots of unpublished
non-standard rules on using his NNTP service. Both ES and Albasani are
free but registered: you request an account and they send you a
confirmation e-mail giving you the login credentials. You have to login
to use their servers. AIOE is free but unregistered which no one has to
login to use their NNTP server, including the trolls, malcontents,
forgers, and other undesirables. AIOE can't do anything about who uses
their NNTP server and instead likes to play with filters and rules that
they don't tell users and that users have to find out by trial and
error.

Ken Blake, MVP

Right now I use outlook express th view and read newsgroups. If I go to an
OS that doesn't have Outlook Express such as Windows 8, is there a good,free
newsgroup server that I can use. I hope I said that right and you know what
I mean. They get awful picky in here sometimes.

You almost said it right, but no big problem; I know what you mean. I
don't want to be picky, but let me explain. What you mean is a
newsreader, not a news server. The newsreader is the program you use
to get news messages from the newsreader.

There are several newsreaders available, some free, some for sale. I
like Forte Agent; I see that someone else recommended Thunderbird. I
recommend that you ignore my opinion and everyone else's. Instead try
several and choose the one *you* like best.

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Jeff T <[email protected]> said:
Right now I use outlook express th view and read newsgroups. If I go to an
OS that doesn't have Outlook Express such as Windows 8, is there a good,free
newsgroup server that I can use. I hope I said that right and you know what
I mean. They get awful picky in here sometimes.
Jeff
We do, don't we (-:.

You can carry on using the same _server_, which in your case I think is
eternal-september.

News _clients_ - several have already been suggested. I've heard people
who say Thunderbird isn't the best as a news client, but it's probably
the most widely used, and thus the one you're most likely to find
answers to questions on - plus its news and mail interfaces are pretty
similar (to each other) too, which may or may not be a good thing.
(Those who say it isn't usually pop up whenever someone makes a post
that was clearly intended as an email, saying such would never happen if
separate clients were used; in some decades of using a common interface
[not Thunderbird, Turnpike], I don't think I've ever done that, so I
don't accept that particular reason against a common UI. YMMV.)

I'm sometimes a bit bewildered by that, really - there are no young people in
it, there's no sex, there's no violence, no car chases and there's no action
and no vampires. - Colin Firth on the success of the film "The King's Speech".
Radio Times 10-16 September 2011

aeroloose

Thunderbird is okay but I can't figure how to do a "new post"
<response on top-post>
Which version of TB are you using? Mine has a "Write" icon
in the toolbar, next to "Get Mail." When you're in your
newsgroup, you can create a new post from there.

Ken Springer

You almost said it right, but no big problem; I know what you mean. I
don't want to be picky, but let me explain. What you mean is a
newsreader, not a news server. The newsreader is the program you use
to get news messages from the newsreader.

We may want to say "newsgroup reader" these days. I can't tell you how
many times I've seen people that use the phrase "news reader" and mean
solely a method of reading/following RSS feeds. They generally know
nothing about newsgroups.

--
Ken

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Firefox 24.0
Thunderbird 17.0.8

Good Guy

Right now I use outlook express th view and read newsgroups. If I go to an
OS that doesn't have Outlook Express such as Windows 8, is there a good,free
newsgroup server that I can use. I hope I said that right and you know what
I mean. They get awful picky in here sometimes.
Jeff

Nobody has mentioned Windows Live Mail from Microsoft. You might want
to try that as well. Most people don't like it because it doesn't
handle quoted email properly but you have to try it because it is your
opinion that matters not somebody's.

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials-other#essentials=overviewother>

The above link is the official Microsoft link but there is also a direct
link for offline installer package. I am sure somebody will post it here.

I used it for a time in Windows 7 but in Windows 8/8.1 I don't. I now
use TB all the time.

Good luck.

Paul

Good said:
Nobody has mentioned Windows Live Mail from Microsoft.

Ha Ha Ha. Good one.

It's the wrong tool for USENET. Not designed for it.
Doesn't follow conventions properly. Yadda. Etc.

There are plenty of tools specifically for the task.
And, you have the advantage of segregating USENET from
email, so you never send a letter to Mom,
to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general by accident.

You could even use a copy of Forte Agent, the free version,
from the year 200 B.C., and be further ahead than with WLM
recent versions.

Paul

Bruce Hagen

Good Guy said:
Nobody has mentioned Windows Live Mail from Microsoft. You might want to
try that as well. Most people don't like it because it doesn't handle
quoted email properly but you have to try it because it is your opinion
that matters not somebody's.

<http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials-other#essentials=overviewother>

The above link is the official Microsoft link but there is also a direct
link for offline installer package. I am sure somebody will post it here.

I used it for a time in Windows 7 but in Windows 8/8.1 I don't. I now use
TB all the time.

Good luck.

"Wal-mail" doesn't deserve to be considered a decent e-mail client, let
alone a news reader.

Zo

Jeff T wrote :
Right now I use outlook express th view and read newsgroups. If I go to an OS
that doesn't have Outlook Express such as Windows 8, is there a good,free
newsgroup server that I can use. I hope I said that right and you know what I
mean. They get awful picky in here sometimes.
Jeff

In addition to those already mentioned, here is another one that I've
been using for years.

MesNews is a newsreader. It is a freeware developed in the Delphi
language. It works on all version of Windows (95, 98, NT, on 2000, XP,
Vista, W7 and W8)

http://www.mesnews.net/gb/

Ken Blake, MVP

On 12/1/13 4:43 PM, Ken Blake, MVP wrote:

We may want to say "newsgroup reader" these days. I can't tell you how
many times I've seen people that use the phrase "news reader" and mean
solely a method of reading/following RSS feeds. They generally know
nothing about newsgroups.

A good point. I've always felt that "news" in "newsreader,"
"newsgroups," etc. was a bad choice of names and would confuse people.
It's probably best to avoid *all* terms with "news" in them and say
"usenet" instead. But I never thought that "usenet" was a good name
either, since the name says almost nothing to describe what it is.

Ken Blake, MVP

You can carry on using the same _server_, which in your case I think is
eternal-september.

News _clients_ - several have already been suggested.

Especially when addressing a newbie, I always try to avoid using the
term "news client." I say "news program" or "newsreading program"
instead. It isn't always clear to everyone what is meant by "client."

The same goes for "e-mail client." I think "e-mail program" is clearer
to most people, so I say that instead.

Ken Blake, MVP

Nobody has mentioned Windows Live Mail from Microsoft. You might want
to try that as well. Most people don't like it because it doesn't
handle quoted email properly but you have to try it because it is your
opinion that matters not somebody's.

He is certainly free to try Windows Live Mail, but in this case, it's
not as simple as "your opinion that matters not somebody's." Windows
Live Mail *royally* screws up quoting (both in newsgroups and e-mail)
and the result of using it in newsgroups is getting killfiled by many
of the participants. So I *strongly* recommend against anyone's using
it.

Paul

Especially when addressing a newbie, I always try to avoid using the
term "news client." I say "news program" or "newsreading program"
instead. It isn't always clear to everyone what is meant by "client."

The same goes for "e-mail client." I think "e-mail program" is clearer
to most people, so I say that instead.

But educating people about "clients" and "servers", is important
to them understanding what is going on, when things break. That's
why you shouldn't limit yourself to "program", as "program" implies
no external forces could ever cause a malfunction. Whereas a
USENET news client is subject to the USENET server at the
other end working, you having a working Internet connection,
and so on.
Internet Connection
USENET --------------------------- USENET
Server (port 119) Client (program)

If the Firewall on your computer, blocked outgoing 119 for
some reason, maybe you wouldn't be reading any posts.

When we "invented" clients and servers at work, it's
all we talked about while developing them. That, and
"Remote Rendezvous", which I gather is some kind of
software two-step dance :)

HTH,
Paul

Paul

Bill said:
I wonder if OE-QuoteFix was ever ported over to Windows Live Mail. Or if it
would possibly work with it.

http://www.dusko-lolic.from.hr/wlmquote/

What is the fascination with "putting lipstick on a pig" ? :)

Why not select a tool that does things right to start with ?

I have three web browsers on my OS, a tool for email, a tool for USENET.
If I absolutely had to paste some text from an email, into a USENET
posting, it wouldn't kill me.

I think one of the browsers, could probably do everything needed.
It has all the interfaces in it, so is technically capable.
But some of the interfaces *aren't the best*, which is
why I select another tool. I don't seek to reduce the number
of programs on the computer to just one. There's no point.
I have lots of free space left. Somewhere around a terabyte
on the drive holding C: right now. No need to be a tight wad
with space.

Paul