Newsgroups disappeared from my OE

Adela

Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing, including
my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one newsgroup, a popup
message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't exist, and when I got rid
of the popup, it also took with it the newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4
of them too. Now I only have left this one!

Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and don't
recall which others?

Thanks ever so much! Adela

Adela

Thank you Rui, at least now I know the whys! Is this an economy matter?
The reason I had the newsgroups in my OE in the first place was that I had
problems entering them through the web site, so now I have to go back to it?
:blush:) Adela

Adela

Thank you Roy! Mystery resolved! :blush:) I had these newsgroups in my OE
because I had problems, though formally registered, to enter the web site
forums. Are they being moved to the same web site, or a new one?

However, I kind of liked having it in my OE so I'll follow your advice and
will try the aioe or eternal-september (and/or find others at googgle too?).
When I find another newsgroup should I FIRST delete the ones I have now? Or
delete them AFTER installing the new ones?

I don't know what NNTP bridge programs are, but I'll start trying the one
you recommend here: http://communitybridge.codeplex.com/ .

Thank you very much again! :) Adela

P.S. I sent another message with my system info as I thought you'd need it,
so please disregard.

Tim Slattery

Adela said:
Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing, including
my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one newsgroup, a popup
message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't exist, and when I got rid
of the popup, it also took with it the newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4
of them too. Now I only have left this one!

Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and don't
recall which others?

If you're getting those groups from Microsoft's server,
msnews.microsoft.com, then what OE is telling you is the simple truth.
MS is dropping its newsgroups. They are disappearing a bit at the
time, and yours is already gone.

But it's not entirely gone. Other Usenet servers still have the
groups. If your ISP has a server, the group is probably there. Other
servers exist, both paid and free. Check www.eternal-september.org for
a good free server.

Gib R. Ish

It's a control matter.

: Thank you Rui, at least now I know the whys! Is this an economy matter?
: The reason I had the newsgroups in my OE in the first place was that I had
: problems entering them through the web site, so now I have to go back to
it?
::blush:) Adela
:
:
: : > Microsoft is moving their newsgroups to web forums.
: >
: > Rui
: >
: > : >> Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing,
: >> including my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one
: >> newsgroup, a popup message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't
: >> exist, and when I got rid of the popup, it also took with it the
: >> newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4 of them too. Now I only have left
: >> this one!
: >>
: >> Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
: >> retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and
: >> don't recall which others?
: >>
: >> Thanks ever so much! Adela
: >>
: >
: >
:
:

VanguardLH

Adela said:
Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing, including
my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one newsgroup, a popup
message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't exist, and when I got rid
of the popup, it also took with it the newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4
of them too. Now I only have left this one!

Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and don't

Stop using Microsoft's NNTP server. Microsoft started their Usenet
usurping experiment about 4 years ago by providing a webnews-for-dummies
gateway from forums to Usenet. They decided to abandon that experiment
since they have no control over Usenet content outside of their own NNTP
server. They are now forcing their customers to move to the inane and
very underpowered web-based forums and for which there is there are many
newsgroups that have no matching counterpart in their forums.

The microsoft.public.* newsgroups will continue to exist in Usenet.
Microsoft is not Usenet, just another participant but who is leaving.
You will need to use a different NNTP server (many are free) since
Microsoft is going to drop theirs. Albasani and Eternal-September are
good free NSPs (newsgroup service providers) and carry more than just
the Microsoft newsgroups.

For Microsoft's propaganda regarding their abandoning newsgroups, read:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

milt

Hello, several of my newsgroups I had on my OE are disappearing, including
my Outlook Express 6.0 newsgroup...When I clicked on one newsgroup, a popup
message said it doesn't recognioze it or doesn't exist, and when I got rid
of the popup, it also took with it the newsgroup. It happened with 3 or 4
of them too. Now I only have left this one!

Anyone could tell me what's happened here? And do you think I could
retrieve the other newsgroups I had like the Internet Explorer, OE and don't
recall which others?

Thanks ever so much! Adela

Microsoft is getting rid of all their newsgroups and eventually shutting
down the MS news server. They've already started wiping out grops, that
is probably what happened to those, by Oct. 1st, the server will be gone
along with those newsgroups. However, the newsgroups may still exist on
other news servers. You'll have to do a google search to see if they
might still be around.

milt

Thank you Rui, at least now I know the whys! Is this an economy matter?
The reason I had the newsgroups in my OE in the first place was that I had
problems entering them through the web site, so now I have to go back to it?
:blush:) Adela

No, its a "Microsoft wants more control and they can't get it on
newsgroups" matter. Its also a "Most of our users aren't smart enough to
access newsgroups because they can't just 'click here' to get them,
therefore they are lost, so we are putting them on the web" matter.

JohnB

Will that bridge work with Outlook Express?

I just downloaded that bridge software and installed it. I got to the point
that it displays a bunch of Microsoft newsgroups. But I don't see anything
in the instructions on how to view those in OE.

Greg Russell

In
Adela said:
... Is this an economy
matter? The reason I had the newsgroups in my OE in the first place
was that I had problems entering them through the web site, so now I
have to go back to it?

M$ "web forums" are NOT Usenet, despite their insistent propaganda.

Use a real Usenet server like http://individual.net - it's only 10
Euros/year. All your favourite newsgroups will continue without M$'s
interference.

Unknown

Get the facts instead of your opinions.
milt said:
No, its a "Microsoft wants more control and they can't get it on
newsgroups" matter. Its also a "Most of our users aren't smart enough to
access newsgroups because they can't just 'click here' to get them,
therefore they are lost, so we are putting them on the web" matter.

Greg Russell

Ridiculous. It is not a control matter. Be informed not opinionated.

Laughable. If one depends on M$ for their information, they are brainwashed,
not informed.

Steve Cochran

After starting the Answers Bridge, then go to Tools | Accounts | Add | News and add the server 127.0.0.1. Then download the NGs from that server and you can then read the messages and post, but you have to be logged onto the Bridge first. Be prepared for bugs, if you are unfamiliar with Microsoft.

steve

PA Bear [MS MVP]

See...

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

OE General, IE General, and Windows Updates newsgroups were dropped from the
MS newsserver earlier this week, Adela.

These forums replace all WinXP newsgroups:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

You'll find your friend Bruce Hagen in this forum:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpnetwork/threads

You will find support for Internet Explorer in this forum now:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads

NOTE: Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit
SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your current
IE version (e.g., IE6, IE7, IE8) in your first post.

N. Miller

Get the facts instead of your opinions.

The facts are what they are. Microsoft has less control over the Usenet than
they have over their own web servers. So, yes, it is all about control.

ctowers

N. Miller said:
The facts are what they are. Microsoft has less control over the
Usenet than they have over their own web servers. So, yes, it is all
about control.

It seems that, by not explaining all of the options available to us,
Microsoft is trying to gain more control.