Newsgroup Readers in Vista

Julian

adamlink said:
Thanks for trying, but when I unchecked the log on box, I got an entirely
different error telling me I needed to log on.

Maybe I'm just not meant to get on news groups right now.

To get you by until your problem is solved, it will be,
keep up to date with your groups with Google Groups.
I know it's clunky but it'll do as a stop gap.

DanS

My ISP is Bellsouth. I have Vista.
I set up Windows Mail to access newsgroups, following the instructions
given by the Bellsouth technician, and no matter what I do, it keeps
asking me to verify my user name and password, over and over.
The Bellsouth person told me that he ran out of ideas, and I should
contact Microsoft.

I also tried setting up a separate newsreader called Xnews, but it
keeps giving me the error: 502 Authentication Failed.

Are there perhaps settings in Vista, or one of the security programs
like Windows Firewall or Windows Defender, that need to be tweaked
before I can authenticate with the newsgroup server
newsgroups.bellsouth.net?

Any help greatly appreciated.

I've read thru the thread, and it seems like you've tried everything.
Xnews is a great text newsreader, and when you get this working, I'd
suggest you at least give it a fair shake. It's *very* configurable and
you can do a lot with it.

The e-mail server and the news server are completely different severs and
are not relative to each other.

That being said, tech support should be able to figure this out for you,
either you have a login to the server or not. And they should be able to
verify/set it up.

FYI, you can see what happens when you do this in a raw telnet session,
and see what the news client and server are actually doing.

Start a cmd prompt.

enter: telnet newsgroups.bellsouth.net 119

Press return (That was the server name I saw in the thread here.

You should see the server's connection message. To log in, you would
enter:

authinfo user [your username] (No brackets obviously)

Then press return.

The server should respond with 'more info needed'.

Enter: authinfo pass [your password] (No brackets)

And this is were it either fails or doesn't, I'm sure it does as the
newsreaders have told you.

Call support again.

Thanks JDa, but it still doesn't work.

JDa™© said:
(Spelling cleaned up!)
Adam here is what I have.

I assume you have already set up the folder named,
newsgroups.bellsouth.net when
you tried the 1st time around, so from this point highlight that name
and right click
and go to "Properties". If not then adding a new server will get you to
the same area.

It should be pointing to the "General" tab. The "News Account" info
should display:
newsgroups.bellsouth.net
In that tab, in the User Information area. put *Just* the name or
Internet handle you
want people to know you as in the Name field. Then give a fictitious
E-mail address,
this will protect your real email id from getting spammed. You can use
something
similar to mine. Those are the only fields need in the General tab.

Next go to the Server tab. The Server name: newsgroups.bellsouth.net
Check the: This server requires me to log on, button.
Then fill in your really Bellsouth Account name and password, also check
"Remember password". You do not need to check the Log on using
Secure....... button.

Next the Connection tab. if you are on DSL (i hope u r), Click on the
"Always connect..."
button, and make certain that "Local Area Network" is also displayed.

Now the "Advanced" tab should look like this:
NNTP : 119
Do not select the "This server requires (SSL) button.
Set the "Server timeouts to equal: 1 minute 30 seconds.
Check the "Use newsgroups descriptions"
And the rest of the stuff in that tab should not be selected.

Now you can "Apply" the above settings.

After this is done you should be able to connect to the news server and
start downloading all the groups for your selection.

And now, lets see what happens.
JDa

DanS,

Thank you. However, for some reason my system does not recognize the telnet
command, even when I chose to run the command prompt as administrator.

When I'm at the command prompt, and type HELP, these are the only commands
listed:
ASSOC Displays or modifies file extension associations.
ATTRIB Displays or changes file attributes.
BREAK Sets or clears extended CTRL+C checking.
BCDEDIT Sets properties in boot database to control boot loading.
CACLS Displays or modifies access control lists (ACLs) of files.
CALL Calls one batch program from another.
CD Displays the name of or changes the current directory.
CHCP Displays or sets the active code page number.
CHDIR Displays the name of or changes the current directory.
CHKDSK Checks a disk and displays a status report.
CHKNTFS Displays or modifies the checking of disk at boot time.
CLS Clears the screen.
CMD Starts a new instance of the Windows command interpreter.
COLOR Sets the default console foreground and background colors.
COMP Compares the contents of two files or sets of files.
COMPACT Displays or alters the compression of files on NTFS partitions.
CONVERT Converts FAT volumes to NTFS. You cannot convert the
current drive.
COPY Copies one or more files to another location.
DATE Displays or sets the date.
DEL Deletes one or more files.
DIR Displays a list of files and subdirectories in a directory.
DISKCOMP Compares the contents of two floppy disks.
DISKCOPY Copies the contents of one floppy disk to another.
DISKPART Displays or configures Disk Partition properties.
DOSKEY Edits command lines, recalls Windows commands, and
creates macros.
DRIVERQUERY Displays current device driver status and properties.
ECHO Displays messages, or turns command echoing on or off.
ENDLOCAL Ends localization of environment changes in a batch file.
ERASE Deletes one or more files.
EXIT Quits the CMD.EXE program (command interpreter).
FC Compares two files or sets of files, and displays the
differences between them.
FIND Searches for a text string in a file or files.
FINDSTR Searches for strings in files.
FOR Runs a specified command for each file in a set of files.
FORMAT Formats a disk for use with Windows.
FSUTIL Displays or configures the file system properties.
FTYPE Displays or modifies file types used in file extension
associations.
GOTO Directs the Windows command interpreter to a labeled line in
a batch program.
GPRESULT Displays Group Policy information for machine or user.
GRAFTABL Enables Windows to display an extended character set in
graphics mode.
HELP Provides Help information for Windows commands.
ICACLS Display, modify, backup, or restore ACLs for files and
directories.
IF Performs conditional processing in batch programs.
LABEL Creates, changes, or deletes the volume label of a disk.
MD Creates a directory.
MKDIR Creates a directory.
MKLINK Creates Symbolic Links and Hard Links
MODE Configures a system device.
MORE Displays output one screen at a time.
MOVE Moves one or more files from one directory to another
directory.
OPENFILES Displays files opened by remote users for a file share.
PATH Displays or sets a search path for executable files.
PAUSE Suspends processing of a batch file and displays a message.
POPD Restores the previous value of the current directory saved by
PUSHD.
PRINT Prints a text file.
PROMPT Changes the Windows command prompt.
PUSHD Saves the current directory then changes it.
RD Removes a directory.
RECOVER Recovers readable information from a bad or defective disk.
REM Records comments (remarks) in batch files or CONFIG.SYS.
REN Renames a file or files.
RENAME Renames a file or files.
REPLACE Replaces files.
RMDIR Removes a directory.
ROBOCOPY Advanced utility to copy files and directory trees
SET Displays, sets, or removes Windows environment variables.
SETLOCAL Begins localization of environment changes in a batch file.
SC Displays or configures services (background processes).
SCHTASKS Schedules commands and programs to run on a computer.
SHIFT Shifts the position of replaceable parameters in batch files.
SHUTDOWN Allows proper local or remote shutdown of machine.
SORT Sorts input.
START Starts a separate window to run a specified program or command.
SUBST Associates a path with a drive letter.
SYSTEMINFO Displays machine specific properties and configuration.
TASKLIST Displays all currently running tasks including services.
TASKKILL Kill or stop a running process or application.
TIME Displays or sets the system time.
TITLE Sets the window title for a CMD.EXE session.
TREE Graphically displays the directory structure of a drive or
path.
TYPE Displays the contents of a text file.
VER Displays the Windows version.
VERIFY Tells Windows whether to verify that your files are written
correctly to a disk.
VOL Displays a disk volume label and serial number.
XCOPY Copies files and directory trees.
WMIC Displays WMI information inside interactive command shell.

And when I type the telnet command, I get:
'telnet' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Perhaps something is turned off in my system that should be on, but I don't
have any idea how to figure that out.

DanS said:
[...]

I just found out how to turn my Telnet on:
1. From the Start menu, click Control Panel.
2. Select Programs.
3. From the menu of the left, select Turn Windows Features On or Off.
4. Scroll down, and then check the "Telnet client" box.
5. Click OK.

Anyway, when I was able to Telnet, I did get the same authentication failed
message. This was true whether I used zanestein or (e-mail address removed)
as my user name.

Here are the two attempts. Please note, for my privacy, I substituted blank
lines for my password:

200 Powered by Highwinds Software -- http://www.highwinds-software.com/
(Tornado
v1.0.6)
authinfo user (e-mail address removed)
381 More Authentication Required
authinfo pass -----------
502 Authentication Failed

authinfo user zanestein
381 More Authentication Required
authinfo pass -----------
502 Authentication Failed

So obviously, it has nothing to do with what program I'm using. Their
newsgroup server is refusing to authenticate my logon and password. I'm
pretty sure it's not a Vista thing at this point, so will call them back on
Monday armed with this info.

Thank you.

Zane

DanS said:
[...]

No problem, it's nice to actually know what's going on behind the scenes
sometimes.

MICHAEL

Adam,

May seem like a silly question; are you on your Bellsouth account
when you are trying to access their server? I had Bellsouth adsl
years ago. IIRC, you had to to be on your BS account to access the
server, even though you had a username and password. I would go
out of town and be unable to connect to their newsgroup server.

Also, this might be merger headaches. AT&T and Bellsouth have
merged. Merging two companies can cause problems, just ask
former Adelphia customers when Time Warner bought them.

Good luck.

Take care,

Michael

* adamlink:

DanS said:
[...]

Good point Michael, but in preparing my response, I tried to telnet to that
Bellsouth server. It never even gave me the option to log on.

I'm assuming it saw my IP was not a BellSouth IP.

?

=?windows-1252?Q?JDa=99=A9?=

Get rid of the msn news account and only have the bellsouth account.
The restart the application. ?????
JDa (at a lose myself)

OK, armed with the results of the Telnet session, I called BellSouth again.

The Tier 1 tech support person saw it was beyond her abilities to help, and
she got
a supervisor.

The supervisor told me what was going on, and the previous tech will be
reprimanded for sending me to Microsoft for a solution.

The supervisor directed me to the Bellsouth website, where I read the
following:

"Notice

We are experiencing bandwidth issues. No ETA for repair.

If you are experiencing any other problems with News Service or if you have
any other concerns please email us at (e-mail address removed) "

http://home.bellsouth.net/NewsGroup/s/s.dll?spage=cg/news/newsgroup004.htm&only=y&ck=

He explained to me that that is why I can't authenticate.

Sorry for putting everyone here through all the paces, and thank you all for
trying to help. At least I learned how to turn my Telnet on from all this.

Zane

DanS said:
[...]

I've personally have NEVER talked to a first level support person that
knows what Usenet is. But......
The supervisor told me what was going on, and the previous tech will
be reprimanded for sending me to Microsoft for a solution.

You can't blame the first tech though. It is BellSouth that did not train
that person properly on the comapnies services he/she needs to support.
The supervisor directed me to the Bellsouth website, where I read the
following:

"Notice

We are experiencing bandwidth issues. No ETA for repair.

There's never an ETA is there......
Sorry for putting everyone here through all the paces, and thank you
all for trying to help. At least I learned how to turn my Telnet on
from all this.

Zane

And if it doesn't work in a telnet session, there has to be server
issues. That as basic as it gets.

But remember to give XNews a fair shake. I've used it for text groups for
forever. It's far better than OE & OE clones.