What's a good newsgroup reader for Vista?

Slap

Using outlook '03 as my mail program but Windows Mail isn't smart enough to
use it when I try to reply to a person from a newsgroup.

As usual this isn't a problem using Express as a newsgroup reader in XP.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

You have already been given a few alternatives.
But you may have other issues.
Windows Mail works fine here for replies.
Post details and ask in the vista.mail newsgroup for a possible
solution.

David

Slap said:
Using outlook '03 as my mail program but Windows Mail isn't smart
enough to use it when I try to reply to a person from a newsgroup.

As usual this isn't a problem using Express as a newsgroup reader in XP.
Thunderbird.

R. C. White

Hi, Richard - and Slap.

I agree - except that Windows Live Mail, still in beta, is already better
than Windows Mail. And still free! ;<)

To download the latest build (12.0.1365) of the WLM public beta, go to:
Windows Live Mail Beta
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Note that the "desktop" part of the name was retired by Microsoft last May,
but it lives on in that URL - and in the name of the newsgroup where it is
supported: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Richard G. Harper said:
What's wrong with Windows Mail? It is the latest incarnation of Outlook
Express; if you like OE you'll probably like WM also. I don't use
anything but Windows Mail.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Slap said:
Using outlook '03 as my mail program but Windows Mail isn't smart enough
to use it when I try to reply to a person from a newsgroup.

As usual this isn't a problem using Express as a newsgroup reader in XP.

Bruce Chambers

Slap said:
Using outlook '03 as my mail program but Windows Mail isn't smart enough
to use it when I try to reply to a person from a newsgroup.

As usual this isn't a problem using Express as a newsgroup reader in XP.

Thunderbird works well.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot

Leythos

Get a text only based reader so that you don't have to worry about
malware and other crap that people post.

Super Gravity is free (Open Source now) and works very well - it's not
prone to any of those malicious things that email programs are.

--

Leythos
drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"

Slap

Richard G. Harper said:
What's wrong with Windows Mail? It is the latest incarnation of Outlook
Express; if you like OE you'll probably like WM also. I don't use
anything but Windows Mail.

I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with Windows Mail. I just like to use
MS Office (Outlook) for my mail program. I like to keep all mail I send in
the 'sent' items folder there.

Newsgroups are different for me and a separate thing. However if I want to
'reply to sender' (not the group), say on a for sale group, that now becomes
mail and I'd like that to be saved in Outlook (MS Office).

Under Express and XP this was not a problem as Express would use my default
mail handler (Outlook) to send the message and save it in Outlooks 'sent'
folder. I had no mail account set up in Express.

Windows Mail will not do this... it keeps sending me to the wizard and
wanting me to set up a mail account. It thinks it is the default mail
handler (options grayed). I've had Outlook checked that it is the default
mail handler and in 'start/default programs' Windows Mail' has 1 of 3
defaults '.eml' only and says outlook is the 'mail to' handler. Just won't
use it.

Slap

R. C. White said:
Hi, Richard - and Slap.

I agree - except that Windows Live Mail, still in beta, is already better
than Windows Mail. And still free! ;<)

To download the latest build (12.0.1365) of the WLM public beta, go to:
Windows Live Mail Beta
http://get.live.com/betas/maildesktop_betas

Note that the "desktop" part of the name was retired by Microsoft last
May, but it lives on in that URL - and in the name of the newsgroup where
it is supported: microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64)

Thanks RC.

Like Express in XP Windows Live Mail in Vista will use Outlook (MS Office)
as my mail handler.

R. C. White

Hi, Slap.

I use OE/WM/WLM for both news and email. But there is a lot of
flexibility - I think. (I haven't tried it.)

In Vista, go to Control Panel | Default programs and click Set your default
programs. Click Microsoft Office Outlook and then Choose defaults for this
program. There are 13 possible associations here. My Vista sets 10 of
these to Outlook, but .vcf, MAILTO and the E-mail link are set to WLM. This
works for me, but you might find a different setting more to your liking.

Also, on this Set your default programs screen, we can check either WLM or
WLM (News), or WM or WM (News). I've let both WLM versions have "All its
defaults", but you probably want to set all 4 of them to Outlook.

As I said, I haven't tried this because I use WLM for both. Please report
back if you try some changes here and if you find the combination that works
for you.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta 2 in Vista Ultimate x64)

Slap

WLM is doing exactly what I want. That is if I reply to this group my
message is saved in 'Sent Items' in WLM (as this one will be).

If I'm in this group and 'Reply to Sender' -not the group it will use
Outlook 2003 (MS Office) to handle the mail and save it in 'Sent Items' of
Outlook 2003 (MS Office). For me mail is mail and newsgroup stuff is
newsgroup stuff.

Although I told Vista "Outlook 2003" was the default mail handler WM
(Windows Mail) would not accept that and kept prompting me to set up an
email account.

WLM on the other hand accepts that fact and sends mail through Outlook 2003.
I do not have an email account set up in WLM, nor do I want one set up
there.

I rarely send private mail from the newsgroups... usually a for sale group
then I reply to sender but then I want it saved in my mail system.

So thanks again for the download link to the WLM beta.