New XBox will not carry a HDD

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess online game buying will become the norm (I hope broadband download limits catch up!).

It's a real shame for the 2nd hand game market - I picked up most of my PS3 games that way, as I don't use it for gaming too much (and don't fancy spending £40 a time!).

Interesting times, but I can see this will make console gaming more expensive, rather than cheaper (even though costs are lower).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Either the thread title is wrong, or CL didn't read the link he posted!

Although, I'm fairly certain this won't happen, I read it to mean that they wont include disk drive, as in a CD/DVD drive not Hark Disk. Which is far more likely than them not including a HDD!!! ;)

I'd be willing to bet that they will do is make the DVD Drive an optional extra, kind of like the HD-DVD Drive you could get... ;)

Also, read this which is the link within the link above.......

MCV has learnt that Microsoft has been telling partners that the Next Xbox will NOT include a disc drive.

The briefings have been issued under what MCV’s source describes as “the strictest NDA” they have ever encountered.

Although the console will not include a disc drive, it will offer compatibility with some sort of interchangeable solid-state card storage, although it is not known whether this will be proprietary or a more standard format such as SD.

Furthermore, a 2013 launch date for the hardware has been confirmed. What is less clear, however, is the intended timing of Microsoft’s announcement.

As revealed by MCV earlier this year, an E3 2012 reveal could still very much be on the cards.

The omission of a disc drive signifies the beginning of a new era for games consoles and represents a potentially savage blow to the already beleaguered video games retail sector.

Of course, retailers will tell you that they are already involved in the digital market. Indeed, GAME is enjoying growing revenue from the sale of digital download cards for digital-only titles and DLC.

Nonetheless, the abolition of physical games is bad news for retail however it is spun. With the Next Xbox positioned as a digital centric platform, the relevance of retail will once once again eroded.

When contacted by MCV Microsoft said that it does not comment on rumour and speculation.

UPDATE: Microsoft has issued a fuller statement to MCV.

“Xbox 360 has found new ways to extend its lifecycle like introducing the world to controller-free experiences with Kinect and re-inventing the console with a new dashboard and new entertainment content partnerships. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform and how to continue to defy the lifecycle convention. Beyond that we do not comment on rumors or speculation.”
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/exclusive-no-disc-drive-for-next-xbox/092534

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
My mistake yes should have been disc drive not hard disk drive :D

Ask a Question