New Windows Security Center Error

When my computer starts up I get an error message from the new Windows
Security Center no matter what I do. It tells me my virus software is not
working, although it is (Norton antivirus, one of the most common virus
software programs). I click on it and it gives me the option of shutting off
the virus check and telling the system I will check it myself. But if I
check that the entire Windows Security Center shuts down. To get it started
again I have to uncheck that I will check my virus software myself. Norton
antivirus has a message saying "Norton Antivirus Auto-protect enabled," the
desired setting according to Norton AV. Anybody know how to get the Windows
Security Center to work without giving this error every time your computer is
booted up? I would really, really appreciate this, it is getting aggrivating
as hell. --Jack

Colin Nash [MVP]

"Windows Security Center" <Windows Security
[...]

The Security Center icon only pops up if it has something to warn you about.
When tell it to stop bugging you about the virus scanner, it has nothing
left to say so it goes away.

You may need a newer version of Norton AV in order to XP to detect it
properly. I'm not sure if Symantec has released an update yet, to make it
work with XP SP2.

Symantec is planning an update, which will be available by LiveUpdate.
Norton Antivirus currently does not allow Windows Security Center to discover
whether or not it is running. That is the problem, and it is being worked
on, and the Norton Antivirus software will be updated.

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Windows said:
When my computer starts up I get an error message from the new Windows
Security Center no matter what I do. It tells me my virus software is not
working, although it is (Norton antivirus, one of the most common virus
software programs). I click on it and it gives me the option of shutting off
the virus check and telling the system I will check it myself. But if I
check that the entire Windows Security Center shuts down. To get it started
again I have to uncheck that I will check my virus software myself. Norton
antivirus has a message saying "Norton Antivirus Auto-protect enabled," the
desired setting according to Norton AV. Anybody know how to get the Windows
Security Center to work without giving this error every time your computer is
booted up? I would really, really appreciate this, it is getting aggrivating
as hell. --Jack
Hi

Have you tried the "Change the Way Security Center Notifies Me" link
in the left pane at Control Panel/Security Center?