New PC Death.....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hey guys, me got bad news....:(

My nice new rig i build a couple of weeks ago died last Tuesday (Exactly a week old).....:mad:

I was playing Stalker for an hour or so, when i got a blue screen stating 'irql not less or equal' (no mention of drivers or anything.) Did the dumping of memory and restarted. But i got no beep, GFX and cpu fans are on. but nothing on the monitor and no hard disk activity. :eek:

After a week of trying to find time to work out what exactly went, i have come to the conclusion that its the motherboard, an Asus P5B Deluxe.

So far i have tried the following....

Left the battery out and clear cmos jumper set to clear for 24 hours. (unlikely but was advised it sometimes takes a while to clear...As in more than a few hours on this board. Didn't believe it but tried it anyway.)
It never beeps unless there is no ram in it. (Three short)
Changing the ram is no different. (Tried a know working stick of 1 gb pc6400. Didn't work, mine worked in the other pc.)
The lights on the keyboard do not come on or blink when its switched on.
I have tried all combinations of hardware, from everything to nothing to see if it will post, Nothing happens, no beeps, nothing on screen.
I get three beeps when the RAM is not installed in the board otherwise it just spins the fans and sits there, no disk activity, nothing.
I even tried my old PSU in it to rule that out and no different.

Have now rebuilt my old pc and is working fine so its none of my old hardware....

I dont have another cpu to try so i cant rule that out, but is unlikely...

Going to get an RMA for the board from OCUK tomorrow, hopfully thats gonna go ok.

To say i'm p*ssed off is an understatment.....

Any ideas?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Fraid not V_R, it does sound like the motherboard (or very unlikely the CPU). I hope it all goes smoothly with OCUK this time :thumb:

Motherboards do tend to fail in the first couple of weeks if they do at all due to the so called "infant mortality" that weeds out any weak points in the circuitry.

Are you on your old PC at the moment?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Motherboards do tend to fail in the first couple of weeks if they do at all due to the so called "infant mortality" that weeds out any weak points in the circuitry.
Well i didn't know that, makes me feel a bit better, cheers Boss. :)

Are you on your old PC at the moment?
Indeed, luckily i decided to install the new pc's os on my 'backup' drive so i could just copy over the data i needed. :D

But is working just as it was before. I only used the GFX, sound card, DVD Drive and hard disks so it wasn't too much of an issue. Just a pain in the ass i didn't need as i got plenty other thing to get on with at the mo! :rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just phoned OCUK, one RMA for me. Email was sent to me instantly. Nice. :thumb:

Will send it off tomorrow and see what happens. I forgot to ask them how long it would take to get a new one.....Would be nice if i got the replacement before the weekend.... :nod:

Anyone got an idea how long it may take? :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, may just this opportunity to lap the cpu and hsf....:D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
V_R said:
Hmmm, may just this opportunity to lap the cpu and hsf....:D
That would be time well spent - thinking of doing that on of my recently acquired ES's :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed, I have been reading about this for the last day or two, seems its quite common for the C2D's to be very slightly concave or convex. So lapping should see a reduction in temps....Maybe..... :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
True - one of the ES's is slightly concave and the centre of the HS isn't really touching, making one of the cores nearly 10C higher than the others.

A good lapping can bring down the temps by up to 5C and therefore a higher OC :thumb:

Are you going to buy some varying grades of paper and do it yourself or buy a kit?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Are you going to buy some varying grades of paper and do it yourself or buy a kit?

Well from what i have read, As long as you get good quality 400, 600, 800, 1000 and 1500/2000 you should be ok, And you need a piece of glass, of course.

Having said that, they do a nice kit at Kustompcs. So may just get that.... Still a bit undecided, what about you? :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I'm probably going to nip down B&Q and do it myself to be honest.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Why don't you two just get on the phone and chew the cud? ;)

Not that we're objecting, lol, feel like voyeurs, but, ya know....

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
V_R won't give me his number as he's worried it will get on my works database and we will hunt him down - what he doesn't know is we already have it ;) :p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have nothing to hide.... well, apart from that one time when.......
:p

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Woo Hoo, got email from OCUK today, mb is offically dead replacment is on the way!! :D

Shame i didn't send it earlier may have had it by now...Oh well...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Good news ... and Bad news. :lol:

:thumb:

* ain't life a bitch *

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yay, got my new mb today! Good turn around considering it was a bank holiday. Gonna have tomorrow off work so i can rebuild the thing.

Checked the tracking last night, only to find it was sat in the local depot over the weekend, if i had had my wits about me on Saturday i could have gone and picked it up in the morning before they closed for the bank hols. :rolleyes::D

No matter.....

Reaction score
Well you've got it now and thats what matters. Once it's all back together you'll forget it ever happened. :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I hope so.....Then i can concentrate on getting an 8800!! :D

Ask a Question