Networking 2 PC's at home so that 1 PC can use the others printer

Reaction score
I have ADSL broadband on my computer. My brother recently networked his PC to mine using a cable so that he could access the internet.

He now wants to be able to print files from his PC to my printer via the 'SharedDocs' in 'My Network Places', but everytime he does this his PC brings up a message saying:

//****(my pc name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminstrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found.

Does anyone know what I have to do, as the administrator, so that he has access to it.

Thanks!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Right-click the printer and ... share it ... ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hi

My brothers PC is already networked to mine, but he can't access my 'SharedDocs' or 'My Printer'. I've right clicked on 'My Printer' and it was already set up for 'sharing'. But he still keeps getting and access denied message.

I can get into his SharedDocs but he can't into mine......any ideas?

Reaction score
If you are using XP it is most likely your firewall that is blocking access to your printer. Look in Windows Firewall in Control Panel and on the Exceptions tab see if File and Printer Sharing is ticked.

Reaction score
Hi

I've sorted it thanks everyone. It was my Firewall settings (Sygate Firewall), I selected 'allow others to share my printers' and it's working fine now.

Cheers!

Ask a Question