Need Urgent Help

Reaction score
Dear All,
Need some urgent help. I'll start from the beginning..
My computer kept restarting after recieving various blue screen messages. I suspect that the heat caused it to crash and restart, as i was told my computer CPU is too hot. I decided to restart the computer in safe mode and use SFC /scanboot command as system files were starting to corrupt. This scanned the system files at boot. However, when it did happen, the computer jus restarted suddenly, with no blue screen messages appearing. Now i cannot access windows and get to my files. Its urgent I get to back these up. I can access safe mode but how do I backup my data from there? I got around 100gb to backup and cannot access my DVD-RW!! After all is backed up I will do a fresh new install of win xp.
Many thanks,
Sunny

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
So windows works ok in safe mode, but not in normal windows? It might be worth trying a system restore to a time when your PC actually worked as I don't think it's a heat issue if safe mode works.

Sticking the PC in another computer is the best way to backup your files, otherwise you'd need to backup to an external drive or DVDRW (which I'm not sure why won't work in safe mode - what does it say?).

Reaction score
Nope, there are no beeps. It just restarts suddenly without any error messages. I had several restore points I tried to go back to but the same problem occured, the computer just restarted and then went into safemode saying the restoration was unsucessful. I tried burning to DVD-RW but i got a blue screen message referring to atapi.sys, followed by the system restarting.

Reaction score
Are you not getting any error bleeps or BSOD messages at all?
Have you checked all internal & external needs are connected OK?

Ask a Question