I murdered my computer... (need help)

Reaction score
Around a month ago I ordered a new computer from eBay, heres the actual link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=140240837882&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

Anyway, the other day I tried adding in an old 500GB SATAII Hard drive that was in my old tower, I imediately got a blue screen after doing so, I thought nothing of it and just restarted... the pc started up fine and I began formatting the second drive, whilst doing so I got another blue screen (can't remember what it said exactly) and I was forced to restart. I restarted and everything was fine for a little bit, but I kept getting different blue screens every time... so I removed the hard drive thinking that may have been the cause but it still didn't sort it.

The different blue screens I got where things like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PAGEFAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and things like this, it all just started getting worse... the PC would start up, then programs would crash (have to be terminated) and they were different every time, I tried going into safe mode and the explorer kept crashing, until I finally had enough and decided to try do a clean reinstall, which was a mistake.

During the clean reinstall it would fail, giving different blue screens every time again (I tried like 4 times) I tried switching the RAM around into different slots thinking that may be it, but nothing seemed to work. I tested the RAM using memtest86+ and it gave thousands and thousands of errors within the first few minutes, so I tried changing the slots and testing again... got the same problem. I finally decided to try and put the RAM into another computer and test it, no errors whatsoever so I don't think the RAM is the issue. I've started thinking it's maybe the motherboard, which I really hope it isn't but you never know really.

Motherboard: ASRock 4Core1333-GLAN
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667MHZ PC5300 (one stick)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATAII
Graphics: NVIDIA 8600GTS 256mb (added this myself the day I got the computer)

I have tried explaining it the best that I can and hopefully someone can help me.

Reaction score
Send it back m8.
Unfortunatly there is a hardware fault and it has 12month warrenty.

There's a possibilty that you caught the m/b causing physical damage or shorted it with static charge (or worse if you didn't unplug the mains).

Just don't admit opening it..... some manufacturers will plead that you broke it. If this happens your in luck due to the advertised warrenty which they must uphold.... THANKYOU EBAY for your clever terms of contract :D

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well it could be anything mate, but you have eliminated the RAM being the problem.

Have you phoned them as they do have 12 months RTB on their site???

The problem with buying a PC like yours off ebay is that you see its got a quadcore in it and a 500GB HDD but it only costs £300? They are using the cheapest parts available to them, so its bound to break when you try something.

Take out the HDD that is in there and put your old one in, trying installing vista on that.

It sounds like bad boot sectors on the HDD if it is failing on the install.

Reaction score
computerkiller said:
Around a month ago I ordered a new computer from eBay, heres the actual link to the auction: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=140240837882&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=004

Anyway, the other day I tried adding in an old 500GB SATAII Hard drive that was in my old tower, I imediately got a blue screen after doing so, I thought nothing of it and just restarted... the pc started up fine and I began formatting the second drive, whilst doing so I got another blue screen (can't remember what it said exactly) and I was forced to restart. I restarted and everything was fine for a little bit, but I kept getting different blue screens every time... so I removed the hard drive thinking that may have been the cause but it still didn't sort it.

The different blue screens I got where things like IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, BAD_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT, PAGEFAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA and things like this, it all just started getting worse... the PC would start up, then programs would crash (have to be terminated) and they were different every time, I tried going into safe mode and the explorer kept crashing, until I finally had enough and decided to try do a clean reinstall, which was a mistake.

During the clean reinstall it would fail, giving different blue screens every time again (I tried like 4 times) I tried switching the RAM around into different slots thinking that may be it, but nothing seemed to work. I tested the RAM using memtest86+ and it gave thousands and thousands of errors within the first few minutes, so I tried changing the slots and testing again... got the same problem. I finally decided to try and put the RAM into another computer and test it, no errors whatsoever so I don't think the RAM is the issue. I've started thinking it's maybe the motherboard, which I really hope it isn't but you never know really.

Motherboard: ASRock 4Core1333-GLAN
CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600
Memory: 2GB DDR2 667MHZ PC5300 (one stick)
Hard Drive: 500GB SATAII
Graphics: NVIDIA 8600GTS 256mb (added this myself the day I got the computer)

I have tried explaining it the best that I can and hopefully someone can help me.

Hi,

Thanks for your post and the specs of your pc that is very helpful. However from what erros you have been getting and what I have been reading about them it does look it it is down to the ram. You said that you tried the ram in another pc and it was fine, have you tried one moudule at a time to see if that corrects the issue? Have you tried any other memory in the pc apart from the stuff it came with? The fisrt thing I would be doing also is e-mailing the ebay seller and make him aware of the problems that you are having with the computer. I would say if you have tried diffrent memory in the computer then it does look like the motherboard is at fault here and so are the ram slots. so the motherboard needs to be replaced.

If you have any problems in them acepting it back then use the Sales of Goods Act that has alwasys worked for me in the past.

Others here might think diffrent but I am prettey sure this realtes to the motherboard.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

I was thinking I may have caused damage via static charge, but I did unplug the mains and everything else (I'm pretty stupid but not that stupid. :p)

To Waynos_Face: I understand that they would use cheap parts, but it seemed like a bargain so I thought id buy it.. wasn't expecting it to break this easily. :blush:

wizkid: I tried the RAM in every slot there is and they all gave errors, but on the other tower I have the RAM gave no errors which leads me to believe it is either the motherboard or the slots, or both even... I'm not entirely sure but i'll be calling them up to see what they say.

Thanks.

Reaction score
:thumb:
computerkiller said:
Thanks for the quick replies everyone.

wizkid: I tried the RAM in every slot there is and they all gave errors, but on the other tower I have the RAM gave no errors which leads me to believe it is either the motherboard or the slots, or both even... I'm not entirely sure but i'll be calling them up to see what they say.

Thanks.

Hi.

I would say its the slots on the motherboard its self thats casuing the problems. Good luck in getting it sorted out. :thumb:

Reaction score
The chances of every slot being at fault are minimal.

If anything the memory controller has sustained damage and that gives the effect of every slot being damaged. A damaged Memory controller causes random memory faults and is not repairable due to its intergration with the northbridge chipset (Intel based).
Yup... that board needs replacing, if your very polite with them on the phone they may let you send just the board back and they'll send you a replacement m/b. Save you on postage.

Reaction score
They are sending someone to collect the computer on monday, gonna cost me £20 postage but I don't mind.

They are sorting it for free too (as they should) so all is well. :)

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Reaction score
There's 2 references to unplugging the pc from the mains in this thread i thought we were supposed to leave it plugged in the socket to earth it ?

Reaction score
Frodo said:
There's 2 references to unplugging the pc from the mains in this thread i thought we were supposed to leave it plugged in the socket to earth it ?

You'd leave it plugged in if it was an ancient AT based system.
ATX based systems have power flowing through them, turning them on and off is "soft powering". "Hard powering" involves flicking the PSU switch (not all have them) or unplugging the mains.

The earth on the PSU nowdays is for safty reqs of the PSU, almost no PSUs that I see today have an earth connection to the case like in the old days :p .

Reaction score
I called them up today as the computer got picked up on monday, and the guy says he changed the memory stick and hes been able to install/format windows around 3 times now and that it's been running all night with no problems, hes going to send it out today and i'll recieve it tomorrow...

I guess i'll see tomorrow if theres any problems with it when it arrives, and if their are i'll probably pay someone a little more experienced to have a look at it or something.

Reaction score
See how things are when you get it back, hope its ok. :thumb: If its not then send it back to them again I would not pay anyone to look at it and fix it becuase that will cost more money when its there problem and they should fix it, also I would ask them to refund the postage costs as most good companys do this whent you send stuff back to them.

Regards,

Wiz

Ask a Question