faulty desktop custom build

Reaction score
I have built my own computer buying all parts from ebuyer. This is the design spec:
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-MA78lmt-us2h
Hard Drive - western digital 500gb caviar blue (sata)
Processor - amd athlon II x4
Power Supply - Arctic Power 500W PSU
Optical Drive - Samsung SH-S222L
RAM - EXTRA VALUE 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz Memory Kit 1.5V CL9
OS - windows 7 home premium 64bit
Wireless Adapter - TP-link 300mbps wireless n pci adapter

I built this computer just before christmas and had it all working fine. After a while it would occasionally blue screen then restart, it would then work fine afterwards. I was planning on getting around to what was causing it but as always kept pushing it back, then it turned off and would only boot showing the system info and then go to a black screen with a flashing white _ as if waiting for a command. I couldn't type anything and when pressing f8 at the screen before it wouldnt enter boot menu or anything like that. After looking online i found a thread that told me to remove the battery from the motherboard and clear the cmos values. after doing this the computer powers on, fans turn on and led's etc but nothing happens on the screen, i use my tv via a hdmi cable. Any help desperately needed as its my first build and I'm just digging myself in a deeper and deeper hole. Also the tp link adapter was added shortly after, everything else was in from the beginning. Any more info needed then just let me know.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Could be the cheap PSU doing this. You should never skimp out on a PSU, always go for a good one (Enermax, Seasonic, Corsair, Coolermaster). Have you got another PSU you could try just to test?

The memory could be at fault too, does the memory have a brand? Cheap memory is cheap for a reason, its not going to be very good.

If you can get into the bios, see if you can reset it back to factory settings, it should be on one of the last options in the bios along with the save and exit option. If you have a compatible graphics card (PCI express) then stick that in a give it a go.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, my first thought was the power supply, it's not a good one.

If you have two sticks of memory try booting with just one stick at a time or you could run memtest, a downloadable free memory test software program.

Also try removing the wireless adpater and booting.

Ask a Question