Replacement home build PC

Reaction score
Hi gang I propose to build a new PC for the wife as hers has givern up the ghost, it was 9 years old. I have looking on line at PC's fo replace the one she had and decided it was less expencive to build my own and thought I would ask your oppinion on the major parts and perhaps some sugestions.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A55MS3 AMD55
CPU: AMD Trinity A6-5400 K Black Edition
Case; Coolermaster Elite 334U
RAM: 8GB (1x8GB) Corsair Vengeance Jet Black 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Module [CMZ8GX3M1A1600C9.

I have already have spare Video card, sound card and Power supply Any sugerstions would be very welcome. I usally buy from Aria as I have never had any problems with them.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
No offence, but i just formatted your post so its a little easier to read. :)

Whats your budget?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Whats it going to be used for? Just web surfing, email, etc?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You'd do no worse than to copy the system I recently put together for myself:

8302d1352912865-replacement-home-build-pc-i3build.jpg

Details in this thread Here

Only prob is whatever the case costs would take you that amount over budget. E-Buyer (who I can whole heartedly recommend) do a cheapie case by Casecom for around £12.00, no frills, no fans, but it looks good and does the job, that could be a consideration (I've just used one for a build for a friend). However, this Intel system is better than the AMD-based system you've outlined.

The i3 processor has in built graphics which would run games that aren't too demanding although you say you have a graphics card already so no prob.

Just what is that card btw?

And one last thing, most motherboards have a dual memory facility which helps run the system a little faster so generally speaking a pair of 4Gb modules would be better than a single 8Gb one.

Attachments

• i3build.JPG
    i3build.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 578

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'll give Flops a + 2 too. :)

I'm not sure, however, why you want the 3rd party cooler as the stock cooler should be more than adequate, perhaps spend the savings on a case fan for the cheapo case, although the 'old' case should be fine.

There is one point, I don't think your old PSU will be adequate if you did decide to use the old case.

You will "need" two sticks of ram, 2 x 4 is ample

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm not sure, however, why you want the 3rd party cooler as the stock cooler should be more than adequate,

Must confess I thought much the same but some extensive research on my part informed me that this rather cheap 3rd party cooler made the outlay of £9.50 or so very worthwhile as it did make a significant difference from the supplied retail cooler.

As my use of this cooler is restricted to media machine use only it doesn't really get stressed. However, CPU temp is pretty much a constant at below 30C and typically 26C which I think we'll agree is pretty low.

I really did do some homework on this one, didn't really want to shell out cash where no need to.

Reaction score
Well I stayed up until about 0330 pricing things and eventually I settled for this from Novatech as I have spare hard drives sound cards and video card and it also suited my budget. Thank you all for your input and I will let you know how I get on when it arrives on the 23 Nov. One further question will have to purchase a new OS from Microsoft or will they allow me to put the Windows 7 I have already got on?

Novatech Barebone Bundle - AMD Trinity A-5400K - 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz - AMD A55 Motherboard - Novatech Tower Case

£164.99 inc vat

The main specifications of this barebones are: -

AMD Trinity A6-5400K Processor
2 x 2GB DDR3 1333Mhz Memory
Novatech Micro ATX Tower Case
300W ATX Power Supply
AMD A55 Chipset

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It will be ok to use your copy of Win 7. Officially if your Win 7 is a full retail version then it's ok to erase from old machine and install on new machine, if it's an OEM copy then strictly speaking MS don't allow that.

Unofficially, however, it doesn't matter, the OEM copy will work just fine.

You will have to install Win 7 again on your new machine though, due to the different hardware architecture, you can't just slap in your old HDD from your old machine and run Win 7, it very likely won't work. And even it it did work, it wouldn't run at it's best.

You need a fresh install.

Ask a Question