Need a "specialized 12V graphics card power connector" DOH!!!

Reaction score
As subject really.

I've just gone a nd bought a new gfx card as I was having problems with my current ATI X600Pro card.
So I bit the bullet and bought a new ATI X800 GTO card.

I then discover that it needs a "specialized 12V graphics card power connector" which I don't have with mine :blush:

Currently I have an ICute 350W power supply that came with the case. It hasn't got the above connection so I either need an adapter of some sort but more than likely need a new PSU.

So I was just wondering what power supply would have such a connection. I've got about £50 to spend so what would you people suggest?

Would I be right in thinking that most "decent" psu's would have the connection I need?
I've never seen a connection like it before so if you could either point me in the direction of what I need and to look out for in the description that would be great ;)

I was looking to purchase from either ebuyer or overclockers so anything from there would be ideal.

Cheers all,

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks ME_2001 ;)

Which connection in the description is the one that I need?

Have you got a picture of the connector?

Cheers,

Rich

Reaction score
Hold on think I may have confused myself and you at the same time :confused:

It says on the box "Connection to the system power supply is required. The power supply should have a specialized 12V graphics card connector"

Ok I said to myself. The only socket on the card is a 4 pin white connection!!!!

Where is the 6 pin connection? It's a similar card to this one http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=pciegpuso&page=6
The top card. Except mine hasn't got the black square box type connector presumably 6 pin connection on the rear of the card.

Mine is this one http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=97159

Help! :eek:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You should have had the connector with the graphics card, unless it was OEM perhaps?

There is a converter for £2.95 here : http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Other_Cables_153.html

"Akasa PCI Express 6 Pin to 4 Pin Power cable adaptor for PCI-E Graphics Cards (CB-018-AK)"

It should look like this I think:

2607279_1.jpg

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the pic ian posted is what you need and the plug should be on the corner of the card

Reaction score
There isn't a connector on the corner of the card! :eek:

Just 2 holes and a template of where the connector should be :confused:

See picture attached.

Attachments

• X800_GTO.jpg
    X800_GTO.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 707

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats strange, I can only assume it doesnt need one then. Where abouts did it say you need the connector - only on the box?

I'd just ignore it and stick it in your PC, it musn't need one and won't do any harm :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Stick it in and fire it up :) Won't do it any harm, and doesnt look like you can connect one anyway. If you don't get a message on bootup then its fine :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the worst thing that will happen is you wont see anything, although the white thing next to where it should be looks like a floppy connector although i've never heard of them being used on a graphics card?? a possibility ian ?

Reaction score
Ok I'll bang it in tomorrow as I'm getting the "LOOK" from the missus athe the mo :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your help. Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Rich

Reaction score
Well I put the card in late last night and it seems to work fine so far :)

Very strange all this.
Still not sure what the 4 pin white connection is for. Perhaps a connection for an additional fan.
It's defo not a floppy connector as that was my initial thought and there not compatable connectors.

Still it up and running and it looks scweet.

Thanks to all that helped ;)

Cheers,

Rich

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
the white thing next to where it should be looks like a floppy connector although i've never heard of them being used on a graphics card?? a possibility ian ?

My old 9800 S.E AIW used a floppy connector, mind you it wasn't exactly a beast! :p

Reaction score
I've just seen this picture of my card which shows it with no 6 pin power connector on the back. Phew

I still would like to know what the 4 pin white connection is for though.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 190441.jpeg
    190441.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 195

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
mudfrog said:
I've just seen this picture of my card which shows it with no 6 pin power connector on the back. Phew

I still would like to know what the 4 pin white connection is for though.

Any ideas?
Audio ;)

Ask a Question