Which budget graphics card?

Reaction score
I am about to upgrade my computer, an Intel i3 3.7Ghz and 12GB Memory. My existing graphics card is an NVIDIA 660 but I would like to upgrade it to something that will see me for a little longer. My max budget is €200 (£170)!

Would another NVIDIA graphics card be a good fit so that I don't need to change drivers? I am out of the loop with hardware and would welcome some advice on what to go for. I would like to play the Witcher 3 on good settings :thumb:.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If your budget can stretch to it, I've read really good things recently about the 1060. It's what I'm looking to upgrade to, and I've currently got a 560. Are you in the US?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
The 1060 is the best choice but prices start at around £235 + postage.

Since the introduction of the Nvidia 1000 series video cards most suppliers are selling off the old range of cards at very competitive prices.

It may be worth considering a GTX970 with 4Gb memory for around £170. I have one of those and Witcher III runs very well on it. I paid £300 for my 970 before the 1000 series was released so this price is something of a bargain.

It's worth updating the Nvidia drivers when you change cards even though your existing drivers will work ok with the new card. This is a relatively painless process, especially if you install the minimal Nvidia software 'The Nividia Experience' which updates the drivers more or less automatically.

I haven't used an AMD video card since 2002 so am not in a position to comment or recommend any of their cards.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
well, not to be the one to throw the cat in, but ... I'd recommend one of AMD's new offerings.

Bare in mind your base i3 system is a bit dated, make sure you can actually use the card you buy. :)

Reaction score
Thank you. I live in Ireland, but I can also buy from the UK.

The NVIDIA 1060 comes out at €220 from the cheapest place I can find, so only just out of budget. The RX 460 comes within budget. How does the performance compare, would you recommend this one for gaming? I don't really want to exceed €200, so the 1060 and 970 both are out of budget for me :(.

The 960 is only €180 and the RX 460 is €160. If my i3 is dated would I be better with the cheaper option?

Ask a Question