Graphics Card Prices... up or down?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I just saw this article, where a hardware seller predicts that graphics card prices are going to continue to go up this year, due to competing demand for memory and the crypocurrency boom:

In a discussion post on a GTX 1080 Ti on Massdrop (login required), tech community lead Brian Hutchins talked about a visit from Nvidia to Massdrop HQ, in which they discussed the causes for the current shortages. "All new cell phones coming out by Apple and Samsung (and others) last year started using the same memory as graphics cards," Hutchins writes. "Apple and Samsung are willing to pay more for this memory to make sure they get it first and all of it that they need. This has created a shortage of memory for the much smaller companies like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, and EVGA to make graphics cards."

Does anyone here have any thoughts on this? I thought that graphics card prices would have turned a corner by the middle of the year and started to reduce in price, as NVIDIA/AMD start to adapt. I'll be sticking with my GTX 960 for a while yet!

Place your bets and we'll revisit this in 2019 :lol:...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Boo! :(

I guess the problems with supply aren't likely to end any time soon. If I was a manufacturer I'd be reluctant to ramp up production if the increase in demand was due to something unreliable / unreliable (ie cryptocurrency). Until supply meets demand then prices will be high unfortunately.

Rubbish for consumers though isn't it?!

Ask a Question