Graphics card prices set to fall following cryptocurrency plunge

News Graphics card prices set to fall following cryptocurrency plunge

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Becky submitted a new article:

Graphics card prices set to fall following cryptocurrency plunge - Gigabyte recently reported a fall in GPU sales due to falling demand from cryptocurrency mining

If you've been waiting to upgrade your graphics card but have been put off by the recent spike in prices, we may have some good news for you.

It has recently been reported that over 800 cryptocurrencies now have a negligible value following the recent plunge in Bitcoin, from over $19k in December 2017 to $6,348 yesterday - a fall of 67%. The Bitcoin boom has driven up the price...

Read more about this article...

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Please, please let it be true. I think my graphics card may be on the way out.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A few weeks back the graphics card in my bedroom machine bit the dust, it took a while, it had been on the blink for a couple of weeks. It was an EVGA GTX760, out of warranty and was the second EVGA graphics card I've suffered as a casualty.

So for the moment I've been using the graphic capability of the aging i7 CPU powering the machine and been thinking about getting a GTX1050 2Gb to put in there but they've typically been £150.00.

I wouldn't have bothered considering a separate graphics card but the other evening I thought I'd install Neverwinter Nights 2 + DLC as it's been residing in 2 DVD cases for years and I've never tried it. But it wouldn't run as the game said my machine had no 3D capability, even after I'd applied the numerous NWN2 patches.

There's an MSI GTX1050 2Gb card at Novatech for £120 atm (+ £5 p & p) so am seriously thinking about getting one of those. All I'm wondering is if the cards will reduce in price even further as days progress.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
But for just a bit more you could get the GTX 1050 Ti... But yes, might be wise to wait a bit and see what happens to prices.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for input Becky but I don't game much on the bedroom machine, just the occasional older or less graphically demanding game so I probably don't need much more than the standard 1050.

Whether to wait or not to wait - that is the question.

It's a little like waiting to see if stocks and share prices go up or down :confused:

Reaction score
Flopps the MSI 1050 TI 4GB is available for £155 from Ebuyer

The Low Profile is an extra fiver

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Came across this one on Ebay for £53.17 inc delivery Link I've asked the seller what make it is and whether it needs an extra power connector but they haven't replied yet.

For that price I might just go for it.

EDIT: Just noticed this is a 'Custom build, not original' so probably won't go for it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well I have put the one above in my basket. At time of posting Ebuyer have 71 left. So I will wait a little while as stocks dwindle and see what happens with prices

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
A few weeks back the graphics card in my bedroom machine bit the dust, it took a while, it had been on the blink for a couple of weeks. It was an EVGA GTX760, out of warranty and was the second EVGA graphics card I've suffered as a casualty.

So for the moment I've been using the graphic capability of the aging i7 CPU powering the machine and been thinking about getting a GTX1050 2Gb to put in there but they've typically been £150.00.

I wouldn't have bothered considering a separate graphics card but the other evening I thought I'd install Neverwinter Nights 2 + DLC as it's been residing in 2 DVD cases for years and I've never tried it. But it wouldn't run as the game said my machine had no 3D capability, even after I'd applied the numerous NWN2 patches.

There's an MSI GTX1050 2Gb card at Novatech for £120 atm (+ £5 p & p) so am seriously thinking about getting one of those. All I'm wondering is if the cards will reduce in price even further as days progress.

I got a GTX460 750 MB hardly used you could have for a tenner plus postage. At least I think I have somewhere in a mountain of mystery boxes that have not been unpacked yet. :cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Appreciate the offer Abarb but I've more or less settled on the standard 2Gb GTX1050 now and will probably order it from Novatech tomorrow.

I also saw on Ebay I could get a GTX960, both 4Gb and 2Gb models, for less than £30. Almost went for that, would probably do me but in the end decided to go for the newer technology.

I have a 6Gb GTX1060 in my main machine atm and it's been really rather good, handles everything I throw at it.

Reaction score
For those following, the card price went down to £152, It has now gone back upto £159, however included is a Kingston 120GB SSD which retails for about £29

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I now have an MSI GTX1050 installed in my bedroom machine, it cost £126 including next day delivery from Novatech. And Neverwinter Nights 2 plays flawlessly with it.

I've never played NWN2 before and I'm finding it a bit slow tbh but I'll give it a couple of hours and see if it gains more of my interest.

The GTX1050 doesn't need an extra power connector or two and it really is quite small even though it does have two fans. Just a few short years ago the same technology would have arrived on a behometh sized card which you'd wonder whether it would fit in your desktop case.

Technology sure has moved on - I'm pleased to say.

For those interested Novatech used Parcelforce (Royal Mail) as a delivery courier who gave tracking information and a time window for delivery, mine arrived between noon and 13:00. I like that

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
For those interested Novatech used Parcelforce (Royal Mail) as a delivery courier who gave tracking information and a time window for delivery, mine arrived between noon and 13:00. I like that

At best they should know where you live. :lol:

Enjoy your new PC. :cool:

Ask a Question