Music. What are you listening to right now?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Of course when I were a lad we had proper music, not like t' rubbish you call music nowadays, like this for instance, a beautiful melody, you cannot deny

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Becky, you're a dark horse ;) I saw the Pink Fairies quite a few times back in the day and they made good use of two drummers. Here's another band with two drummers, I've really been getting into them lately, Thee Oh Sees is their name.

This is a full set but I thought the opening number caught them at their best so linked to this. No need to watch the whole set unless...

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I was handsome I was strong,
I knew the words of every song.
Did my singing please you?
No, the words you sang were wrong.

Who is it whom I address,
who takes down what I confess?
Are you the teachers of my heart?
We teach old hearts to rest.

Oh teachers are my lessons done?
I cannot do another one.
They laughed and laughed and said, Well child,
are your lessons done?
are your lessons done?
are your lessons done?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
His song really gets going around 2:40, but interesting to see his musical construction-process in the bit that precedes it. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Rock.

Another one of theirs I like, but hey who doesn't like a didgeridoo with their rock. :D

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Think I prefer the first one of the two, although the didgeridoo was pretty hilarious :D

Been listening to this recently:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In the summer of 1978, probably June or July, an artist named John Martyn played in London's Regents Park, in their open air theatre. Five of us drove up there in the evening time, parked up (easily back then) and asked to pay to get in.

The fella on the gate told us he couldn't let us in as the gig was sold out. We offered to pay double to get in but he wasn't having it. So we walked the perimeter of the venue until we found a spot with low fence and isolated view and climbed over the fence.

We walked right down the front and sat on the grass and watched the gig. It was a magical evening, some gigs are just like that and live forever in one's brain bonce. John Martyn suited the venue perfectly and night fell on a warm evening as we were taken away.

This is one of the more laid back numbers he performed that evening from the One World LP.

Reaction score
I quite enjoyed that Mr Flops which is usual for me as I am a big band, folk, country, Bluegrass, Rat Pack and West Coast man usually. Yes I did enjoy John Martin song Small Hours:thumb:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
When I first came to the UK in '93 I had never seen a proper live band before. I had seen a couple of small bands play at the Playground like VOD ( Voices of destruction ) and Evoid which was a big SA band in the day.

My first live gig was at Brixton academy and the bands where Biohazard and Slayer. Biohazard where opening and their first song was Authority.

After their set it was time for Slayer. They opened with Behind the crooked Cross.

This night was the first time I had ever been in a proper mosh pit. Needless to say I came home black and blue and covered in blood. Since then every Monsters of rock and Download festival have been a ritual for me.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I love that stuff ED. I have two Slayer LP's, Reign In Blood and Seasons In The Abyss, I play them when I'm feeling... boisterous :D

Only have Biohazard on FLAC files.

In my days of playing records to leather and denim clad hairy hordes to make a few bob, those bands were a staple diet of the ensembled throngs.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was handsome I was strong,
I knew the words of every song.
Did my singing please you?
No, the words you sang were wrong.

Who is it whom I address,
who takes down what I confess?
Are you the teachers of my heart?
We teach old hearts to rest.

Oh teachers are my lessons done?
I cannot do another one.
They laughed and laughed and said, Well child,
are your lessons done?
are your lessons done?
are your lessons done?

26 days ago I finally got round to buying Leonard Cohens first LP 'Songs Of Leonard Cohen', an original copy in pristine nick. Only took me 50 years to get round to it. Then one morning recently I awake to find he's left us. I recall reading a little while back after Marianne, a former lover of his, died, he said he'd be joining her shortly. He was right. RIP Leonard.

Ask a Question