Windows XP Missing NTLDR

Reaction score
I am currently trying to fix my friends computer without much luck. It is an older hp media center pc. Anyway here is my problem. When booting up it says "NTLDR is Missing Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart". I have already created a boot disk to try to get to windows that way but no luck. When using the boot disk i get a message that says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: system32hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file.
How should i go about replacing this file?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Try booting with the windows disc and doing a repair install.

Other possible causes/solutions HERE.

Reaction score
Problem is that i don't have the windows cds for that computer. I only have a windows xp home edition cd from another computer will that still work?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
If the computer is running Windows XP Media Center Edition then probably not...but you could give it a go and see.

Also make sure the HD cable is fully in place and not faulty.

Other than that unless you can get hold of the right copy then you are facing a complete windows re-install.

Reaction score
I tried to use the windows xp home edition disc to repair but when i used to command bootcfg /rebuild an error would come up saying it could not scan the disk because of a corrupt file.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Personally I wouldn't waste any more time on this to be honest.....the OS seems either corrupted or the HDD may be on its way out - go for a complete re-install.

Ask a Question