Windows XP Windows XP Home does not start in Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5638 for Mac

Reaction score
I MESSED UP :mad:

Background:
- Having run out of space on the 32GB virtual C: drive in Parallels, I tried, some time ago, to extend this drive and, in doing so, added virtual drive E: and tried to link it to C:. This did not work, so I used E: to transfer large files from C: to free up space in C:.
- Last week, I got tired of having to do this every few days. I reread the instructions and websites, and added another drive (F:) and attempted to assign the unallocated space to C:, without results. Thinking that the problem could be that this drive was not designated as "active" in diskmanagement, I did so, and this is when the start/boot problem started.

Now, when starting XP in Parallels, I get the following message in the first screen:
640 KB Base Memory
1052672 KB Extended Memory
Boot from CD/DVD-ROM drive... failed
Boot from hard drive...
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I am able to use the Win XP setup disk and, using R to use the Recovery Console, it shows the D: drive to log onto as follows:
1: D:\WINDOWS (shouldn't it be C:?)

While in the Recovery Console:
- I located NTLDR in D:\WINDOWS and copied it to C: and E: and F:, and each time it asked me if I wanted to Overwrite it, indicating it was there but I entered Y, anyway.
- When this did not work, I ran FIXBOOT on the C: drive, and maybe the others, too.
- Looking at the directory contents of the drives, C: looked empty, E: looked like the drive I had copied files to from C: (see background), and F: looks like a Windows folder containing "SETUP.EXE", for example.

I hope you can understand my rambling, but I am at a loss and need all the help I can get.

Thanks in advance, and best regards,

Bruno Wyler

Ask a Question