Windows 10 Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap.

Reaction score
Hi all, I have an external 1TB hard drive, and a few days ago it would not accept any data for saving.
(this is used only for backups), I managed to download all the data I had to my laptop and the files I couldn't I was able to reconstruct them from another source.
I then use The Disk management system with Windows 10 to re format the hard drive, after 10hrs it came up that it had failed.
So I used The Command prompt Window and used the following to try and resolve the problems.
C:/>Chkdsk /f /r /c N: (N; being the external hard drive) The results are as follows:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.371]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\>chkdsk /f /r /c N:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process. Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.
ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID.
Would you like to force a dismount on this volume? (Y/N) y
Volume dismounted. All opened handles to this volume are now invalid.
Volume label is Toshiba.

WARNING! /C parameter specified.
Your drive may still be corrupt even after running CHKDSK.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
256 file records processed.
File verification completed.
0 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
1 reparse records processed.
268 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
1 reparse records processed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
6 data files processed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
240 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
244051259 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.
Replacing bad clusters in logfile.
Adding 36222 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
Correcting errors in the master file table's (MFT) BITMAP attribute.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Insufficient disk space to fix volume bitmap. CHKDSK aborted.

C:\>

As you can see everything was either corrected or resolved except the Insufficient disk space.
The Drive as I said is a 1TB drive and was completely free of data.
Has any one any ideas on how to complete the Chkdsk and get my hard drive back, or am I fighting a lost cause
Thanks in advance
Steve Bishop

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
36222 bad clusters

1. if I see "bad clusters" I'm off looking for a new drive.

2. Is the drive still in warranty? RMA it.

3. If the drive is out of warranty, and I would do this anyway, take it out of its enclosure and 'install' it in your PC ... if you are not confident in doing this, see 1.

4. go try Toshiba test tools here

5. see 1.

:user:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
After reading the documentation about CHKDSK, it says that you can specify the size of the file log.

/l[:<Size>] Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.

So first check the size of your file log, and then adjust it to see if you can get past that error message.

Reaction score
1. if I see "bad clusters" I'm off looking for a new drive.

2. Is the drive still in warranty? RMA it.

3. If the drive is out of warranty, and I would do this anyway, take it out of its enclosure and 'install' it in your PC ... if you are not confident in doing this, see 1.

4. go try Toshiba test tools here

5. see 1.

:user:
Thank you for taking the time to reply, will see what happens, but as you say a new hard drive me thinks

Reaction score
After reading the documentation about CHKDSK, it says that you can specify the size of the file log.

/l[:<Size>] Use with NTFS only. Changes the log file size to the size you type. If you omit the size parameter, /l displays the current size.

So first check the size of your file log, and then adjust it to see if you can get past that error message.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.....I will do that and see what happens thanks again

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to reply.....I will do that and see what happens thanks again
I had exactly the same problem on a Western Digital 4TB drive. I had done a "quick" format then chkdsk Q: /R /F using a recovery system. It never finished!
When I repeated the process using the Admin shell, I got that message at the end of the chkdsk listing. I got this hint from another posting -- First do a "long" format followed by chkdsk Q: /X /R /F /B this succeeded. It took more that 12 hours to complete -- This solution worked for me.
-- Dan Gregoria

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question