Linux Ubuntu

Reaction score
Ok here goes, please be gentle though...I know a good few of you guys are Linux mad, and I have been reading what you have been posting...So I thought its about time I had a try...So I got Ubuntu 8.04.1 from a mate..I have an oldish Ac*r Aspire 3680 with Vista on thet I intend to use..My intention is to wipe Vista off and have just Ubuntu...And the main thing the laptop will be used for is Internet and music..Now this is seriously virging territory for me, and I don't know what's what...When I install it am I going to be searching for hours on end for drivers etc..? I know others have posted threads etc, but i'm lazy and can't be arsed searching...Please help and please be gentle....

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
The only driver issue I can see is the (Atheros) wireless... and - I Googled a bit - that should be easy to overcome.

Ubuntu doesn't come with proprietary codecs preinstalled. But that's not much of a problem either; after you've installed the OS, a package (available in Ubuntu's repositories) called ubuntu-restricted-extras contains most if not all you need.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Or you could get Mint, which is basically Ubuntu with codecs already installed.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Or you could get Mint, which is basically Ubuntu with codecs already installed.

Thats that sorted then, done me bit of reading, and Mint it is gonna be...Looks the easiest...Thanks guys , I shall keep you posted...:thumb:

Ask a Question