Portable Ubuntu

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This looks like the best ever way to try out Ubuntu. It is a separate project to the official Ubuntu distro. I have not tried it yet but it looks dead easy to set up and use. Well worth a try in my opinion.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/P...-in-Perfect-Harmony-67016.html?wlc=1241882228

"Want to try out Ubuntu Linux without giving up your Windows desktop? How about running Ubuntu from a USB drive on any Windows PC while still operating within Windows?

Portable Ubuntu provides both of these computing options, no setup hassles or programming skills required. You do not even have to reboot the computer or set up a dual boot environment -- and no, you do not need to install any virtual machine software to make it work.

Argentinean programmer Claudio Cesar Sanchez Tejeda released Portable Ubuntu in mid-April. He built upon the concept of an existing project known as "Cooperative Linux." The tweaking he added created a version of the Hardy Heron Ubuntu 8.04 Linux distro that loads from the Windows desktop. Both Windows programs and Linux apps can run seamlessly on the same Windows desktop.

Portable Ubuntu is a fun and convenient way to learn about one of the most popular Linux desktop distributions with no risk to the Windows computer. It can be an ideal transition path from the Windows platform to the Linux world."

"Portable Ubuntu and the CoLinux projects are two separate distributions. Portable Ubuntu is not associated with the Ubuntu Linux distro headed by Canonical, according to Tejeda. In fact, the Ubuntu community was not aware of Portable Ubuntu until its release.

"Portable Ubuntu was developed independently without direct involvement from the Ubuntu project. I only became aware of Portable Ubuntu recently and don't know much about it beyond what is published on its Web site," Matt Zimmerman, CTO for Canonical, told LinuxInsider."

Penguin Proliferation = Paradise

nod.gif

Ask a Question