Arch Wins

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Arch Wins First of Two Round Poll

The FOSS Force Poll
The voting is over in the first round of our annual GNU/Linux distro poll, which sought an answer to the simple question, “What Linux distro do you currently use most?” The result was a complete surprise, at least to us. By a decisive margin, you voted for Arch Linux. The poll was certainly one for the record books. By the time it was closed to voting, a total of 5,784 of you had cast votes, more than double from any previous FOSS Force poll. The poll was online for approximately one week.

But this was just round one of a two part polling process, and the round two poll is already up and running. In the second round, we’ve taken the top fourteen winning distros from the first poll and asked a slightly different question: “Which of the GNU/Linux distros listed below would you choose to win the FOSS Force ‘Best Desktop Distro’ Award for 2015?” As the question implies, this new poll will be used to bestow the honor of “Best Linux Distro 2015,” which will be based entirely on this poll. It’s winner-take-all, with you as the deciding factor.

:dance: Nah nah you Mint and Ubuntu users :lol:

http://fossforce.com/2016/01/arch-wins-first-of-two-round-poll/

Reaction score
Arch may win BUT for us new users we prefer Ubuntu or Mint because they simple to use as Distro Watch recognises:-

Different Linux distributions are created with different goals in mind. Some want to be useful in all sorts of situations, others strive to be newcomer friendly desktop operating systems, others try to be extremely efficient, still others focus on security. This week we talk about several projects, each with its own aims. We begin with a look at Linux Mint 17.3, a distribution that works to be easy to use, especially for Linux novices. In our News section we discuss Chromixium's name change, an announcement that Ubuntu will soon be shipping on tablets and the GNOME team's desire to help users avoid being tracked. In our Questions and Answers column we discuss some of the differences and similarities between Linux distributions and the BSDs. Then we share the torrents we are seeding and provide a list of the distributions released last week. In our Opinion Poll we ask what tasks our readers perform with live discs and thank Hossein for expanding our Persian language support. We wish you all a wonderful week and happy reading!

Reaction score
Arch is aimed at competent users , I for one am a Microsoft deserter and using Mint Cinnamon because it is easy to use and at the moment has the top ranking hits in Distro Watch and designed for beginners. Personally I do not understand the command line, but I have a book and maybe in the future I might change to Arch if I can get my head around Command Line. Well done Arch for coming top in the FOSS Force poll but all of us who want to get away from Microsoft need something simple:p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
"I for one am a Microsoft deserter" me too.
As to easy to use, that is why I am using Makulu Mate at the moment. I need a working set up quickly that was easy to install and stable. An those reasons would suit thousands of folks who would be happy with almost any of the popular distros.

I play with Arch as well as usually using it as my main os for the fun of it. Gives me something to keep the grey cell from withering.
There are a lot of steps to doing an Arch install and tons of reading to make sure you get it right.

The command line is just an instrument for giving instructions to your os.

For example.

If you want to play a record in your house you would go to the record cabinet find the record sleeve, take out the record and play it.

To get your pc to play a cd via the command line you would do something similar by giving clear instructions just as if you were telling a friend how to play a record at your house.

Like so,

musicplayer /home/myname/music/ledzepplin/ledzepplintwo/trackone

So you are telling music player to look in the home folder and find the myname folder then the music folder and the ledzepplin folder and then the ledzepplintwo folder and then play trackone.

:cool:

Reaction score
As things stand I think Microsoft may catch a cold as it would seem many previously Windows users are looking around for an alternative to Windows because of the bad internet press over data mining and the cost of the extra software you need to purchase to make it a complete and safe operating system, well that was my reason. So I had a look on line more specificity on Distro Watch for an alternative and chose Mint Cinnamon because it works out of the box and there is good support online. So I did what I considered to be the best thing for me (being on the lazy side) uninstalled Windows and did a fresh install of Mint an found it to be easy to use without any knowledge of command line etc. It comes fully loaded with software and much more should you require it my main problem is I am dyslexic and you would be surprised how much spell checking I have to do. I see in another post that even the Government is also changing some of their software over to Linux.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
musicplayer /home/myname/music/ledzepplin/ledzepplintwo/trackone

In Windows, the 'command line' syntax is ...

C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\mplayer2.exe /play /close my_movie.wma

... that will play your movie and stop playing when finished.

Of course, one can just put the CD/DVD into the drive and play, whatever, automatically. Just sayin'. :D

I liked Arch.

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
No pleasing some folk is there? :mad:

Always bangin' on about using them penguins and denouncing anything Microsoft as Satan so I think I'll appease him and go all Minty Fresh ooh la la innit.

But oh no, oh no, it's gotta be ARCH.

Humph, anybody here suffer from fallen arches?

If you think I'm going to install one of them clever-dick distros and spend half my computer time trying to work out commands and tear what hair I have left out by the roots you got another think coming matey.

Go boil your bum you scally :p

;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Did someone mention Satan
devil.gif
:lol::lol::lol:

Blimey that Microsoft code looks hard what with the forwards and backward slashes and double dots. It is sort of pretty similar though.

:cool:

Reaction score
No pleasing some folk is there? :mad:

Always bangin' on about using them penguins and denouncing anything Microsoft as Satan so I think I'll appease him and go all Minty Fresh ooh la la innit.

But oh no, oh no, it's gotta be ARCH.

Humph, anybody here suffer from fallen arches?

If you think I'm going to install one of them clever-dick distros and spend half my computer time trying to work out commands and tear what hair I have left out by the roots you got another think coming matey.

Go boil your bum you scally :p

;)

:eek: I thought arch kept bridges up, Underneath the Arches:fool::fool::fool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Seems like I touched on a nerve or two with this posting about the wonders of winning Arch.

So here is your chance to make a different outcome,

http://fossforce.com/2017/01/best-linux-distro-time/

January 21st, 2017
It’s ‘Best Linux Distro’ Time Again
FOSS Force Staff
Who’s going to get bragging rights this year? Last year it was Arch. The year before it was Ubuntu. Call out the troops and get bragging rights by making your favorite our “Best Linux Distro.”

By the way MINT is way out in front this year so far. :eek:

Ask a Question