Arch Compared to Other Distributions

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Compared_to_Other_Distributions#Gentoo_Linux

This page attempts to draw a comparison between Arch Linux and other popular GNU/Linux distributions and UNIX-like operating systems. The summaries that follow are brief descriptions that may help a person decide if Arch Linux will suit their needs. Although reviews and descriptions can be useful, first-hand experience is invariably the best way to compare distributions.

Quite a nice read for anyone who is thinking of trying a penguin.
breakfast.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're going to use Arch, imo, you MUST be comfortable using console commands.

Nothing wrong with that, plenty of information available online to help people out and you will learn a considerable amount about that flavour of Linux.

But lots of folk are lazy (me included) and prefer a distro that comes pre-loaded albeit in many cases bloated.

The only distro I'd put people off is Ubuntu, Canonical have attempted to re-write the rules and want everybody to do things their way, they are fast turning into the next Microsoft, which flies completely against all that Linux ever stood for.

Some Ubuntu-based distros, however, such as Mint, do not follow the Canonical way, merely use the original Ubuntu engine as a base.

Fedora is similar to Arch and was the first distro (then released as Red Hat for free) I ever tried, back in '98 or '99, from a magazine disk. Never did get that damn thing to work ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Really posted so that folks would be able to see the differences in various distros not as an advert for Arch.

Mind you nowt wrong with a bit of advertising every now and again.

:lol:

Ask a Question