Moving to Arch from Ubuntu!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.muktware.com/5452/moving-arch-ubuntu

An excellent well balanced article.

I have used almost every major GNU/Linux based distribution out there whether it be Debian, Xandros, PCLinuxOS, Mandriva, Linux Mint, Fedora, openSUSE or Ubuntu. Each of those distributions have their own pros and cons. After using Debian for a while I switched to Ubuntu in 2005 and had been using it as my sole distro till 2011 when Unity happened. I was not just a user but also an advocate and a very strong supporter of Ubuntu. However, things changed with Ubuntu lately and online integration was the last straw on the camels back. I switched to openSUSE running KDE on it.
While openSUSE gave me a stable and trusted OS, it was by the end of 2012 when I got interested in rolling releases.

An he does a better job than I could of explaining why Ubuntu may not be an ideal os for many folk.

Privacy
Today governments are becoming increasingly obsessive over gaining access to users’ data and to know what users are doing on their PCs. In dangerous times like these it was expected than an open source company like Canonical will ensure the privacy and protection of user data. Sadly, it took the different road and designed Unity in the manner that the Dash became the gate through every user activity will pass. Every keystroke made inside the dash is sent to Canonical servers where it is not only stored but also shared with partners like Facebook. All this is done without any consent from the unsuspecting users.
What Canonical does with that data (or what it might do with it tomorrow) is secondary, the most important thing is that it should not be gathering this data by default in the first place. It’s defective by design.
Arch or openSUSE don’t make any such compromises and keep the user in control of his data and respect their privacy.

:cool:

Ask a Question