Windows 10 openSUSE Linux Arrives On Windows 10

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Who would have thought it possible a few years ago ! Microsoft giving love to the penguin, is the end of the world in sight
228823.gif

All hail the Green Linux!

Sr. Product Manager SUSE Linux Enterprise SUSE, Hannes Kühnemund, has written a blog post and described how to run openSUSE Leap 42.2 and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 SP2 on Windows 10. Now, by running simple commands, the users can install SUSE Linux distributions in Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). The company has also prepared a detailed blog post and described the whole procedure. For those who don’t know, by default, Microsoft enabled Ubuntu within WSL.

Never tried SUSE myself but have a couple of mates who swear by it and SUSE has been alive and kicking since 1992, which I believe is longer than Microsoft.

In a blog post, Sr. Product Manager SUSE Linux Enterprise SUSE, Hannes Kühnemund, has said that SUSE is in the business since 1992, thus, they’re very dependable.

The penguin march is slow but relentless.
Muahaha.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
There's something that just feels so very very wrong about Windows and Linux being together. I think I'll be cynical and say that Microsofts' overtures to the Penguin are purely money motivated as MS wouldn't know how to perform a kindly gesture if the manual for performing kindly gestures hit them in the ear with some force.

As for Suse, I've been installing and using various versions of that one for at least ten years but I couldn't install the last one, about 6 months ago. I don't know why, I tried at least three times, just kept hitting hurdles on install so gave up and threw the DVD in the bin.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There's something that just feels so very very wrong about Windows and Linux being together. I think I'll be cynical and say that Microsofts' overtures to the Penguin are purely money motivated.

I'm finding it all really hilarious meself and you are bang on the money with your thoughts.

Wow.

That's a heck of a long way from Steve Ballmer proclaiming back in 2001 that "Linux is a cancer." In the years since then Microsoft certainly attacked Linux like it was a cancer — doing everything from sponsoring SCO's copyright attack on Linux to claiming that Linux violated unnamed Microsoft patents to endless FUD assaults.

So, how did we get from Linux as Microsoft enemy number one to "love"?

Nadella actually told us the heart of the story, which I can boil down to that classic detective approach: "Follow the money."

http://www.zdnet.com/article/why-microsoft-loves-linux/

Laughing.gif

Core

noot, noot
Reaction score
Never tried SUSE myself but have a couple of mates who swear by it and SUSE has been alive and kicking since 1992, which I believe is longer than Microsoft.
Microsoft was founded in '75 and MS-DOS came out in 1981.

Ask a Question