9 Burning tools for Linux - Pick your favourite!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Did you know Linux also has Nero burning tool? I did not know that until I came across this site. The bad thing about it is that it is not free. I am not disappointed much since I have been using other free tools for a long time, and my favorite has always been K3B for Linux. It is a lot more powerful than the stock burning tool, Brasero, which is installed by default in Ubuntu.

Anyway take a look at the choices one can have for the burning tools in Linux and what YOU fancy. ;)

9 good CD/DVD burning tools for Ubuntu/Linux

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
There used to be a free (older) version of Nero for Linux. I did try it – it worked OK, but that was about it...

K3B gets my vote as well, but for those using a lightweight desktop environment (i.e. NOT GNOME or KDE), Xfburn is a good choice.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've just ordered an OEM Lite version of Nero V10 for less than £3.00 from Scan, I wonder if it has a Linux version on it?

Reason being my current Nero V8 for Windows doesn't support FLAC files, I'm hoping the Lite V10 will.

At the current exchange rate $20 = £12 which isn't a bad price for Nero if it does everything it's Windows equivalent does but I suspect it won't.

I have yet to find a Linux burning program that will take an assortment of video files (flv; wmv; avi etc) and burn them all onto a DVD playable in a standard DVD player complete with menu.

Anybody know of such an animal?

Nero V8 can do that, btw

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Flops,

Not my cuppa, but – as a public service :p – I downloaded (after a quick research) Bombono. Now, my puter is rather slow, so the actual encoding is a s-l-o-o-o-w process, BUT:

I created a project with three vids... one .wmv, one .avi and one .flv. It had no objections with my choice of formats. Started the encoding process con mucho gusto.

There is the menu(s) creator, and options for burning/iso creation etc.

Might be worth a try... dunno. Not my cuppa, as I said.

NB: I installed the development version – a slightly older version available in "normal" repos:
https://launchpad.net/~muravjov-il/+archive/ppa

Home page:
http://www.bombono.org/cgi-bin/wiki/

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Flops,

Not my cuppa, but – as a public service :p – I downloaded (after a quick research) Bombono. Now, my puter is rather slow, so the actual encoding is a s-l-o-o-o-w process, BUT:

I created a project with three vids... one .wmv, one .avi and one .flv. It had no objections with my choice of formats. Started the encoding process con mucho gusto.

There is the menu(s) creator, and options for burning/iso creation etc.

Might be worth a try... dunno. Not my cuppa, as I said.

NB: I installed the development version – a slightly older version available in "normal" repos:
https://launchpad.net/~muravjov-il/+archive/ppa

Home page:
http://www.bombono.org/cgi-bin/wiki/

Cheers for that Urmas, you're a stout fellow :thumb:

I've ordered a new 500Gb HDD to install Linux Mint V10 as the HDD I have Mint V8 on is only 160Gb and it's getting close to full.

When it arrives and I install Mint10 I'll give Bombono a whirl.

Where do they they dream up these application names? ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Xfburn :thumb: a great KISS program.

That Bombono program looks pretty darn neat thanks for the heads up Urmas :bow:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Since the above no sooner had I installed Mint 10 than Mint 11 was released so I installed V11 instead.

All seems ok. I installed the DVD burning program linked to by Urmas, Bombono, but I can't get it to do anything.

I have some captured VCR footage stored on a secondary hard disk as *.mpg files but when I attempt to load them into Bombono it tells me the files don't exist or are corrupted.

The files I'm trying to burn to DVD will do so in Nero 8 within MS Windows (XP in this instance) and play back in all media players, both within Linux and Windows.

So I'm stumped. And I still haven't got a program that does what I want to do, mix n match n burn video files.

To install Bombono, btw, I went into the Package manager and found Bombono listed then selected it for installation. I was offered a list of files for install and I clicked yes. Bombono is now listed under the sound and video section and opens into a screen that I'm assuming is a working installation of Bombono.

So far I've also installed Scribus, which works ok and have not installed Opera, which I usually do, but instead am using the Firefox that came installed with Mint 11.

Ask a Question