Death of XP, opportunity to spread the word on Linux..?

Reaction score
I was wondering what the effects of the end of XP support will have? Will many just upgrade to Win7/8.1 or will many XP machines not be up to spec? Will many users bin their old machines and buy shiny new ones, adding needlessly to landfill...? Will there be a massive surge of interest in Ubuntu as people install this on their old XP machines?

So many questions...

On a serious note, recently got into Ubuntu, turned a bluescreening POS Dell M1330 into a snappy and serviceable laptop with an Intel SSD and Ubuntu distro. On the whole very impressed, barring getting Citrix ICA client and skype to work it does everything i need it to do as a laptop left at girlfriends house. I can't get it to crash at all, with win7/vista it would bluescreen trying to play youtube vids, it was hopeless. All down to graphics card overheating I guess.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Microsoft hasn't offered support for XP for some time now.

The truth is though that the majority of XP users seem happy with their ageing operating system and are stubbornly hanging on to their XP machines and using them daily.

This is both good and bad, imo, bad in as much as this 10 year + OS doesn't support a great deal of modern hardware and good inasmuch as it's denying Redmond more pennies they don't need at all.

Glad to hear you're happy with Ubunbtu and it's giving your computer a new lease of life but personally I don't care a great deal for Canonical (Ubuntu Suppliers/Advisors/Dictators). I'm using Mint 16 here (which is actually Ubuntu based but there's a big difference) and have just installed latest version of Suse.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Welcome to the penguin army ngalbrai.

Ubuntu is not on my list of os's to recommend simply due to the politics of it's leader. There are a lot of buntu derivatives and buntu has a pretty large user base so it can not be all bad, but not for me.
I personally have tried and liked Arch , Debian and Slackware os's and their derivatives. No sure if I have tried Suse at some time but there is a fan here at the forum though who rates it.
As to XP and what will take its place. Well sheep end up in some strange places so who can tell.

:D

Flops is having an affair with Suse ! Blimey. :cool:

Hey and thanks for posting. It has been nearly three months since anyone visited the Linux section and it was becoming pretty lonely here. :cheers:

Last edited:

Ask a Question