Linux games that run well.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Full Throttle Remastered

It’s the perfect guy adventure with action, humor and a kick a** soundtrack. It’s the best point and click adventure that LucasArts made. The voice acting is superb, from the late great Roy Conrad as Ben to the always amazing Mark Hamill as the evil Ripberger. Fans of The Simpsons and Futurama might recognize the voices of Tress MacNeill and Maurice LaMarche. I was very excited when I learned about the remastered version of this game and preordered it immediately. I love the new enhancements. The graphics are greatly improved without losing the style and feel of the original.

When it is raining and you can not get out on the hog this is a super alternative. :lol:

Top notch game and well worth the loot. I have to go into the options and set it to "Full Screen" every time I play otherwise it plays in a window. No big deal and I have not tried to find a work around yet.
I am playing as usual on my Arch set up.

:cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Prey 2006

prey_17.png

• Serious, dark story, based on actual Cherokee mythology
  • Portal technology allows enemies to appear out of thin air, creating new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles
  • Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk
  • Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy
  • Control a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship

22.jpg

Tommy is a down-on-his-luck garage mechanic, stuck in the middle on who-knows-where on some forgotten reservation, where Native Americans are tucked away out of sight, out of mind.

And then the unthinkable happens! Earth becomes prey to the galaxy's largest predator, a space bound Texas-sized alien that's looking to satiate its hunger with the organic goodness that most populates Earth: Us. And the first course is a certain forgotten reservation.

A Spiritual Awakening

Tommy and his girlfriend have become prey, his grandfather killed, and hundreds of his tribal nation have been abducted through space-warping portals. Freeing himself, all Tommy cares about is saving Jenny. But the spirit of his grandfather beckons him to embrace his heritage, accept the ancient teachings, and prepare to battle the menace that threatens to destroy all the planet's
life. It's a choice between love and responsibility. It's a choice that cannot be made easily.

Innovative Gameplay

Preysh10.jpg

https://www.moddb.com/games/prey/downloads

This is a really neat game and well worth a run through and plays flawlessly on linux.Well at least it does on my Arch set up. :dance:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun

Japan – Edo Period; 1620. Five highly specialized assassins fight for the Shogun in his war against conspiracy and rebellion. Take control of this deadly team and sneak through the shadows between dozens of enemies. Choose your approach when infiltrating mighty castles, snowy mountain monasteries or hidden forest camps. Set up traps, poison your opponents or completely avoid contact. You decide!

iu

I found this very entertaining and it runs very well on my Arch linux set up. I have made it through several levels and am semi stuck in a prison level at the moment. Now that wet weather is closing in on us I will blow the cobwebs away and try my best to escape and carry n with the mission.

iu

I thought that playing and using five characters would be quite difficult but am having a great deal of fun utilising the characters different talents. G.O.G. have a free demo but personally I would wait for a sale before buying.

:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Dishonored Proton Platinum

Dishonored 2 Proton Gold

Dishonored: Death of the Outsider Proton Gold

Played Dishonored and Dishonored 2 on Arch linux and they both ran very well indeed. When I bought Dishonored: Death of the Outsider it was not playable on linux but I see that it is now so I will be giving this a run through this autumn. As it gets a Gold on the Proton database I do not foresee any problems running it. Found the first two games most entertaining and am looking forward to playing the third instalment.

iu

dishonored2-jpg.jpg

iu

Super series of games well worth a run through.

Dishonored 2 review

:thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
borderlands-3-key-art.jpeg

This plays really well on my Arch set up with Steam and using,

Customizations:Custom Proton
5.21-GE-1 GloriousEggroll
Launch option
PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 -NoStartupMovies -notexturestreaming

https://www.protondb.com/app/397540

da0a06b893dec211a76986b97368b6a8.jpg

However am hacked of with the game as i got to level five and then me hand twitched as I started the game and i clicked on new game, which wiped out all me progress.
Started again and got to level twenty five and then after some game update i got the message that my data base was corrupted and I lost all progress again. So for the moment I have kicked the game into touch. That will teach me to keep game backups i guess. :blush:

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
However am hacked of with the game as i got to level five and then me hand twitched as I started the game and i clicked on new game, which wiped out all me progress.
Started again and got to level twenty five and then after some game update i got the message that my data base was corrupted and I lost all progress again. So for the moment I have kicked the game into touch. That will teach me to keep game backups i guess. :blush:

Arg, what a pain! Borderlands 3 is good fun, I finished that one a while ago and enjoyed it too. Oddly, I had a save corruption issue too on a multiplayer profile - I was able to work around it somehow (backups/steam save/etc...), I can't remember what I did to recover it now.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Prey 2006

prey_17.png

• Serious, dark story, based on actual Cherokee mythology
  • Portal technology allows enemies to appear out of thin air, creating new and completely original puzzles and gameplay styles
  • Several never-before-seen gameplay elements such as Spirit Walking, Wall Walking, and Deathwalk
  • Highly organic, living environment that itself can attack Tommy
  • Control a spiritual hawk that can help him fight enemies and decipher the alien language of the living ship

22.jpg

Tommy is a down-on-his-luck garage mechanic, stuck in the middle on who-knows-where on some forgotten reservation, where Native Americans are tucked away out of sight, out of mind.

And then the unthinkable happens! Earth becomes prey to the galaxy's largest predator, a space bound Texas-sized alien that's looking to satiate its hunger with the organic goodness that most populates Earth: Us. And the first course is a certain forgotten reservation.

A Spiritual Awakening

Tommy and his girlfriend have become prey, his grandfather killed, and hundreds of his tribal nation have been abducted through space-warping portals. Freeing himself, all Tommy cares about is saving Jenny. But the spirit of his grandfather beckons him to embrace his heritage, accept the ancient teachings, and prepare to battle the menace that threatens to destroy all the planet's
life. It's a choice between love and responsibility. It's a choice that cannot be made easily.

Innovative Gameplay

Preysh10.jpg

https://www.moddb.com/games/prey/downloads

This is a really neat game and well worth a run through and plays flawlessly on linux.Well at least it does on my Arch set up. :dance:
I played this on Windows when it was released and managed to finish it. If memory serves me well it was a good game.

I wonder if my original game disk will load into Linux?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I played this on Windows when it was released and managed to finish it. If memory serves me well it was a good game.

I wonder if my original game disk will load into Linux?

Hmm I seem to be having some senior memory moments as I can recall how I installed this. It is showing up in my Steam library but is no longer on sale there or in their lists.

I have a 1.6 GB game .iso if you can not get the game to run from your disc. You will need the 1.4 patch.

https://www.moddb.com/games/prey/downloads?filter=t&kw=&category=4&categoryaddon=&timeframe=

The 1.4 patch from HumanHead Studios. There is no additional or enhanced content, or bug fixes in this patch. It removes the disc check, updates some...

Hmm hmm really confused now as I tried reinstalling this through Steam and it started to download the files and install. So am not sure where I got the game from or how it ended up in my Steam library. I certainly did not buy it through Steam.

Great game though and it plays really well on linux. Maybe the spirit world helped me to install and play the game. :eek:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Call of Juarez

call-of-juarez-screenshot.jpg

Call of Juarez PROTON

Game works in DX9 using launch option "PROTON_USE_D9VK=1 %command%". Without the D9VK launch option there are graphical glitches. DX10 does not work at all, no video just a black screen.

Fun game working very well n my Arch pc. :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood

https://www.protondb.com/app/21980

COJBIB_3.jpg

Fun game. Just install and play, no need to fiddle about with the latest proton version. If you get a black screen on start up wait for a minute then press any key to start up. Runs really well on my Arch set up.:thumb:

-475641093.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
251723.jpg

Alice: Madness Returns

With her mind in tatters, she is unable to resolve the fear prompted by her strange memories, dreams, and visions. Perhaps she’ll do better in Wonderland. She always has. She travels there, seeking what the “real” world can’t provide: security, knowledge, and the truth about the past. But in her absence, Wonderland too has suffered. Something has gone horribly wrong, and now a great evil is descending upon what once was her beautiful refuge. Can Alice save Wonderland—and herself—from the madness that consumes them both?

You will not find this on Steam.

What happened to Alice: Madness Returns?

It was removed because of the DRM was causing issues, to the point people couldn't even play their game anymore. EA isn't bothering to fix it for those people to get them a working product.

You can buy it from EA Origin though, which is where the DRM is tied to.

it has been gone from Steam for some years though.

alicem-keyart.jpg.adapt.crop1x1.767p.jpg

However there is one copy for sale,

Alice: Madness Returns (PC DVD)

but it is much cheaper on the Origin site.

7687_0.jpg

Here kitty kitty, what a luverly pussy cat. :D

I am running a Arch os with all the latest updates.I have the Steam version of this which I bought it when it was available on Steam. I just reinstalled it and used Proton 6.35 and it runs very well indeed with no glitches as far as I can see. You get a window telling you to log into your EA/Origin account and this works well too, in fact you can copy and paste from a password manager unlike Battlefield V.
This is a great game and loads of fun imho, well worth playing.

I would guess but this is only a guess that the latest Origin offering should work ok. Or you could get the DVD version and run it from a dvd or an .iso emulator on your pc.

Any ways it is a great game and well worth the effort. :thumb:

I seem to remember that Floppybootstomp does not rate the game.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I seem to remember that Floppybootstomp does not rate the game.

You are correct (About the Alice game) fiddly and frustrating but I did persevere with it and got part way in part (or chapter) two then gave up. I have it listed on Origin within Win 10 but not installed.

Which is a shame cos I love the first one - American McGhee's Alice - and played that one through at least three times. The last MS OS the 1st Alice game ran on for me was XP which I no longer use, I'd love to play that game again, it was quite unique and had a great atmosphere.

Here's my games in Origin, best one by far for me was Dragon Age: Inquisition, I really enjoyed that one. Most recent game there is Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order which is actually quite a good game though after I'd played about five hours I've managed to become stuck - too many Storm Troopers...

Attachments

• OriginGames.jpg
    OriginGames.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 30

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'd love to play that game again,

You probably could on a superior linux os using Lutris,

https://lutris.net/games/american-mcgees-alice/

and a cd,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-American-McGees-Alice/dp/B00004YN2V

or you could use an inferior os and follow this route,

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/american-mcgee-s-alice-452

or, an I dread saying this, you could,

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/a...activetab=pivot:regionofsystemrequirementstab

:rolleyes:

Seeing as this is a linux thread I vote for the Lutris way :p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I already have a double CD with an install code, it was issued by the 'Sold Out' series and is dated 2000. I could put Lutris on a USB stick but whether I'll be able to get my head round one of Abarbarians 'Super duper difficult for the sake of being difficult highbrow Linux Operating systems' is open to question ;)

I own (but rarely use) an Xbox One S and some Xbox 360 games are compatible with it, if American McGhee's Alice is available for free and compatible with my Xbox I'll give it a go though I expect the game suits a mouse and keyboard better than a gamepad.

Again, thanks for the info :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I misunderstood, I thought Lutris was an OS but it's software.

Which means I'll need to install a Linux OS on a hard disk, not a USB stick so back to the drawing board.

I actually have Win 98 on an an old Socket A machine but seem to recall the game wouldn't run on it for some reason. I might give that another go.

Ask a Question